Appradio 2 w/GT500 Steering Wheel & Audio Controls in 07!

ChrisGT

Nice Shirt Bilkins
Reaction score
Thanks all! Sorry for the late responses. I didn't realize there were new posts in this thread. I am really enjoying the ish out of this setup. The car feels all fancy now.

I like it all!! I've been considering doing a steering wheel swap in my 08 for something with controls on it. How much of a PIA was it?

The wheel swap itself is easy. Getting the cruise control to work was also pretty easy. Getting the radio controls to work was a PITA. It was mainly just confusing more than it was hard. I wish I would have documented all of my steps so I could better help others that want to do this.

How did you apply the suede to the A-pillars? Was this as simple as cut/spray glue?

In theory, yes. Just cut and spray glue it. As I recall, I had about 3 or 4 of my friends helping me at the same time for the pillars. I remember it being hard to get the material to conform to such a shape. Sometimes I wish I would have just done the headliner as the sun likes to loosen the glue on the front part of the pillars.

Does your cruise control work? I did the swap in my 07 with a boss 302 wheel and it lights up and the horn works but no cruise control.

It does! You have to:

*Cut the connector off the old wheel. Make sure you cut it where there is still some of the old wires coming out of the connector. You will solder the 4 wires to 4 wires on the new wheel's harness.

*Cut the new wheel's connector off at the connector's base, leaving as much wire in the new wheel as possible.

*Solder the old connector/harness into the new wheel.

You will connect these colored wires together:

New Wheel Harness - Old Wheel Harness
Gray - White
Brown - Blue
Black - Green (Ground)
Red - Red (Power)

I'm assuming the Boss wheel has the same colored wires for cruise, but can't be 100% sure on that.

Nicely done! Like it!

Have you take a photo of the camera before installation? And the installation of the camera? How have you fixed the camera?I want to do the same in winter...:beerchug2:

Thanks in advance

Thanks! Mine looks just like this:

31F1ruqhV1L.jpg

I just unscrewed it from the license plate bracket, leaving just the rectangle box with the lens sticking out. I put 3m tape on each side of the camera lens and stuck it to the trunk skeleton. Only problem is, the lens doesn't extend all the way to the keyhole, so I had to make my own gasket/spacer out of a random piece of plastic.

52D45BA8-2865-4B0A-9104-67ECDF30FA26-2574-00000260634D8889_zpsf37faf53.jpg

I covered that spacer with 3m tape on both sides, stuck it on the inside of the trunk, and tried to stick the edges of the lens to the back side of it.

You can kind of see it here. This was during test fit.

B4A58FE3-B04E-45F3-9EE3-3A82ED43A784-2574-0000026086AA359E_zps3f4b20ff.jpg

It's definitely not mounted in the best way. I would recommend getting a round camera and mounting it with a metal bracket or something.

Does the blue tooth button on your steering wheel function?

It does not. I'm sure it has to be possible, but I'm not sure how. Not sure if it doesn't work because the appradio 2 doesn't support it or if my programming/wiring isn't right for that button.

Looks nice man. I have had the appradio2 and a 2012 steering wheel. But I bought an iPhone 5 and the radio doesn't really work well with it. (Lightning connector/adaptor) kills a few of the functions. Also I can't say I'm completely happy with it. I wud sell it n a heartbeat. It's lacking a few functions that older head units been had. ie- Bluetooth connectivity. I hate having to hook my phone up every time I get n the car to b able to do anything other than radio stations. But I'm glad u like it. It's still a great unit and for that price it must b awesome. Ur car looks awesome n the inside too.

Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone. I've never had any kind of head unit that allows for more than bass and treble adjustments, so I'm pretty much still in candy land. I do wish there weren't as many warning screens and such. There are a few flaws for sure, but I really love it for the price!

ChrisGT

Nice Shirt Bilkins
Reaction score
Nah, that's the first one which is garbage. That has already tricked me before... it also tricked the guy at a local stereo shop lol. Crutchfield doesn't sell the 2 anymore. It shows their original price was $399 but it is no longer available.

KonaBlue11

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up on the wiring harness for the cruise control. I haven't gotten around to troubleshooting why my Boss wheel's CC doesn't work since I swapped steering wheels.

The best case scenario would be being able to buy just this harness from Ford, so I don't have to cut the stock wheels harness and make the whole thing worthless to someone else.

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
Great job! can you tell me more about the bypass? Really wish you would of done a DIY. I have the AVH-X1500dvd its okay just wish it had bluetooth.

04DarkShadowGT

forum member
Reaction score
Nah, that's the first one which is garbage. That has already tricked me before... it also tricked the guy at a local stereo shop lol. Crutchfield doesn't sell the 2 anymore. It shows their original price was $399 but it is no longer available.

I am pretty sure it was the 2, but it really doesn't matter.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Where did you get that steering wheel? It looks amazing! I need this for my 06 premium gt

ChrisGT

Nice Shirt Bilkins
Reaction score
Great job! can you tell me more about the bypass? Really wish you would of done a DIY. I have the AVH-X1500dvd its okay just wish it had bluetooth.

Yeah, just watch this guy's short video. He shows how easy it is. Radioshack sells several different styles of the two way switches, but they all connect the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhvYmT5Wov0

Where did you get that steering wheel? It looks amazing! I need this for my 06 premium gt

Levittown Ford. Highly recommended! I think I like it even more than the head unit.

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-mustang-steering-wheel-gt500-p-1231.html

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Ah your the man!! Thank you for the link!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

svtrojan

forum member
Reaction score
very nice! you've inspired me to try to mount my backup camera in key hole!

ChrisGT

Nice Shirt Bilkins
Reaction score
^I'm so glad! May as well try and rig something up. The lock just comes out with like 2 bolts I think.. and it will go right back up there if you decide the camera isn't working out in that spot. Nothing to lose!! :thumb2:

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
Went to best buy today and they have 1 open box DA100 left, missing the main wiring harness, and they want $396!!! Best I could talk them down to was 275, so I walked out. I'm thinking about going with a sweet JVC I found.

I want that steering wheel mod so bad.

ChrisGT

Nice Shirt Bilkins
Reaction score
Went to best buy today and they have 1 open box DA100 left, missing the main wiring harness, and they want $396!!! Best I could talk them down to was 275, so I walked out. I'm thinking about going with a sweet JVC I found.

:wtf: They are dreaming! Good choice on walking away. I'm sure the JVC will serve you just as well.. as long as you get the wheel too lol.

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score

thats outrageous, my best buy had the brand new ones on sale for 279$. I got mine for 199$ at best buy

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
thats outrageous, my best buy had the brand new ones on sale for 279$. I got mine for 199$ at best buy

I'll swing by next week and see if it's still there, try low balling the shit out of them. I'm in no hurry, since interior/stereo take a back seat to HP mods right now. But I'll jump on a good deal is I spot one. Plus my car maybe sees 100 miles a month lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back