Auto Club Speedway Track Day

claudermilk

Reaction score
I can't believe it's been a year since the last track day. Kids & life take a lot of time. :crazy: I don't plan to allow that to happen again this year. So, I got back on track last weekend with Speed Ventures at Auto Club Speedway.

I stayed in the noob group since it was a) my second time ever on a track, and b) my first time with the modified suspension, brakes, and wheels/tires. I didn't get an instructor this time since the last one simply pointed the line out to me, which I mostly figured out on my own as he started to talk; basic driving technique is OK--I need to spend the big bucks on a pro instructor to gain more insight I think. I know I sound full of myself here, and I think I still do have a lot to learn...but I do feel amazingly comfortable out there and only have a couple of places I'm not sure where the best line is. I will probably move myself up a level for the next event at this track (side note, looks like SV agrees--their registration page allows me to pick the next level group).

So, since my last time there I've added Steeda springs, Koni yellow shocks, CC plates, adjustable panhard, BMR LCAs & brackets, Motul 600 fluid, Carbotech XP pads, SS lines, MGW shifter, BF bracket, AMR 18x10 wheels with RE-11As mounted. Wow did that transform the car. For this crowd it's still very much an entry-level setup, but it made a huge difference. The car felt more planted all day. The grip and stopping power from the tires and brakes really made a huge difference. The car was a joy to fling around.

In the morning sessions with the beginner group, there is no passing at all, so I spent a while cruising around behind slower cars 7 lead-follow groups. I wasn't too upset as I was feeling out the changes and allowing the pads to finalize bedding in; I got the pre-bed option a KNS Brakes, and still got the bed-in stink the first couple of laps. The thought that I bolted on many critical parts kept me from getting in too much of a hurry at first until I gained confidence that nothing was going to fall off.

I also had the fun in the second session of rain. So I got my first wet session on my second track day. I elected to leave TC on for that one & got into it a few times getting a feel for things. After that all nannies off (and I got REAL sideways once). That wet session was a very interesting learning experience. For the most part, traction felt about 95% the same. In most corners that held true as well. However, in a couple of places the track didn't drain so well, and things got interesting. Hydroplaning and limited grip were the order of the day there. I quickly learned where the bad puddles were and adjusted my line to go between them; in the end I only had to bail on one turn during the day & had plenty of runoff to gather things up. In the afternoon I got some practice dodging traffic. I ended up watching a WRX spin twice and mow the lawn once; I wondered a) how was the Mustang keeping it together while the rally car was all over the place (bad driver mod likely), and b) how did I keep getting behind that joker?

I think my lines were much improved and I was hitting the apexes on most corners much better. Turn 9 in particular I think I improved a lot--last time I was generally a foot off the apex, this time I was right there as some photos show. I also started hopping curbs a little at 12 & 13 going into "the playground" area. Part of it I think was that the car was simply more capable of going where I pointed it, part was the driver mod was getting better.

I have a few pictures from CaliPhotography, and will have some video later once I edit it. I played with a second camera in the car, so I'll see how that went.
i-Rq5n8zv-M.jpg

All ready to go on new shoes.
Now some CaliPhotography action shots.
i-nQ9XjHs-M.jpg
i-X77pGXp-M.jpg

i-MZHFxJ4-M.jpg

Much better line here than last time. Less lean, too.
i-fbmd9f6-M.jpg

Finish off with a pits shot waiting to start. Keeping some respectable company--gridded based on previous session's lap times, #1-3.
i-QcMsqVv-M.jpg

BigBlue05

forum member
Reaction score
That looks like a ton of fun! I was doing autocross the same day there. We were right next to the track and seeing all the cars go around made me jealous, but also glad I was just doing autocross! Some day I might have the nuts to go out on the big track, but for now I'll stay with autocross!

claudermilk

Reaction score
That looks like a ton of fun! I was doing autocross the same day there. We were right next to the track and seeing all the cars go around made me jealous, but also glad I was just doing autocross! Some day I might have the nuts to go out on the big track, but for now I'll stay with autocross!
Once you get comfortable in the car, come on over! The S197 is SO much happier out on the open track. I have done several of their autocrosses there, and they are great test & tune opportunities since you get so many runs. I noticed they swapped lots, so the course was longer. How was it?

Let's see the video!!
Working on it. I have a set of videos I need the chew through from the day before first. Hopefully I'll have enough time this weekend to get it all processed.

BigBlue05

forum member
Reaction score
Once you get comfortable in the car, come on over! The S197 is SO much happier out on the open track. I have done several of their autocrosses there, and they are great test & tune opportunities since you get so many runs. I noticed they swapped lots, so the course was longer. How was it?

I can imagine! That's what I've noticed, I changed a couple of little things as I was there, now I get to change the bigger things for next weekend! The course was nice and pretty challenging, for a beginner at least hahaha. It was set up as basically a big figure 8 with some chicanes and a slalom.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
So, since my last time there I've added Steeda springs, Koni yellow shocks, CC plates, adjustable panhard, BMR LCAs & brackets, Motul 600 fluid, Carbotech XP pads, SS lines, MGW shifter, BF bracket, AMR 18x10 wheels with RE-11As mounted. Wow did that transform the car. For this crowd it's still very much an entry-level setup, but it made a huge difference. The car felt more planted all day. The grip and stopping power from the tires and brakes really made a huge difference. The car was a joy to fling around.
Amazing what providing just a bit more composure can be worth . . .

I also had the fun in the second session of rain. So I got my first wet session on my second track day. I elected to leave TC on for that one & got into it a few times getting a feel for things. After that all nannies off (and I got REAL sideways once). That wet session was a very interesting learning experience. For the most part, traction felt about 95% the same. In most corners that held true as well. However, in a couple of places the track didn't drain so well, and things got interesting. Hydroplaning and limited grip were the order of the day there. I quickly learned where the bad puddles were and adjusted my line to go between them; in the end I only had to bail on one turn during the day & had plenty of runoff to gather things up.
A wet session will teach you the value of being "smooth". However, I wish you'd had an experienced instructor with you to point out the "wet line" and point out that paint on even the inside curbs gives away grip. Dodging puddles in known locations is one thing, streams that cross the track at some angle is a somewhat different story (you don't want much of either leading or trailing throttle).

I'm betting that the pavement was somewhat polished were your LF is, and water does tend to collect right at the base of the curbing.

i-MZHFxJ4-M.jpg

I may have more thoughts later.

Norm

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Cool pics. Sounds like a great time.

As a huge NASCAR fan, I'd love to do auto club speedway someday. I will be doing Atlanta motor speedway again this year in about a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

claudermilk

Reaction score
Amazing what providing just a bit more composure can be worth . . .
QFT. The car felt much more like my old Probe GT, which I had set up pretty neutral & I loved it. The S197 is getting there. I do not regret a single dollar spent on the car thus far after the results from this outing.

A wet session will teach you the value of being "smooth". However, I wish you'd had an experienced instructor with you to point out the "wet line" and point out that paint on even the inside curbs gives away grip. Dodging puddles in known locations is one thing, streams that cross the track at some angle is a somewhat different story (you don't want much of either leading or trailing throttle).

I'm betting that the pavement was somewhat polished were your LF is, and water does tend to collect right at the base of the curbing.

I may have more thoughts later.

Norm
There wasn't much option on their registration, and I got too busy to call and see about something between running on my own and a $500 pro. Since I didn't fall off track (well except one brief hydroplaning moment with a big asphalt runoff area...) or wad up the car, I count the day as a success.

One thing every instructor I've had in the car with me has commented on is my smoothness, so I am doing ok there. I didn't really have any issue with the wet overall, and just concentrated more on being smooth. Had I paid more attention to the forecast, I might have made the time to get an instructor; the last time I had checked, it was showing simply cloudy & cool--not rain. Lesson learned.

I am aware (at least of the theory) of paint being extra slick and taking away more grip, so I deliberately paid close attention to that. A few times I did run on the painted apex markings just to get a feel for the effect; yep, the car slipped a bit & regained better grip once off the paint. The pictured corner is one of the slowest on the track--probably about 35-45 mph. I actually had plenty of grip for the speeds I was running, and was working more on my line there as that is one place I had trouble getting to the apex last time (you even commented on my being wide there before).

The other end of the track was far worse with a large section of bumpy asphalt that gets puddles everywhere. I had to learn where they were & adjust my line. I think I nailed the big one once, then shifted outside of it thereafter.

The first session video is uploading now, so I'll have something more to look at soon. I've been struggling getting the telemetry render to sync up. It appears to be fine for the first half, then the tach & speedo seem to drift a bit while the track map looks right. Not sure what's going on there. Also the gear indicator looks like a best guess on one of the programs' part, so is a little funky. The most important thing is just the main video & track map, though. There will be good entertainment in the later sessions (pirouetting WRXes).

claudermilk

Reaction score
Finally got the video processed, so here they are. The first two are no-passing, so will get dull. Session 3 is rain and gets entertaining. Session 4 is still wet, so more entertainment.

I know the telemetry gets a bit wonky--in particular the gear indicator--I think that's RaceRender's or Race Chrono's best guess, I'll eliminate that channel next time. Still getting it all figured out. At least the track map part seems to stay accurate throughout.

Session 1

Session 2

Session 3

Session 4

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back