Auto or Manual for 2013 gt?

Discussion in 'Mustang Chit Chat' started by Drunkenturtles, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Drunkenturtles

Drunkenturtles Junior Member

I'm planning on buying a 13-14 gt and making it my main weekend cruise/speed boi. I know that the manual trans can be delicate and since I'm gonna buy a used gt with low miles I know manuals will be beat on more than autos. But I wanted to know what transmission is generally better for adding power reliably. Things that I'm considering is reliability, the cost to upgrade, how much power can it safely take before needing an upgrade, and the cost of repair if anything happens. I'm not considering the fun factor cuz I know the manuals are more fun.

Now, if the s197 had the manual transmission of the s550 there would be no debate. Sadly, the only way for that to happen is swapping transmissions.

2. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator S197 Team Member

auto

3. Jgt58

Jgt58 Member

Manual.

Just make sure no grinds

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. Greg Hazlett

Greg Hazlett Stepping on the Pink Bus Official Vendor S197 Team Member

Auto, 6R80 is almost bullet proof and if you like going fast/winning races definitely the auto.

5. JJ427R

JJ427R forum member

If you are ever planning on getting on a track with it go manual, otherwise auto is great.

6. Badd GT

Badd GT forum member

I just couldn’t justify the expense to put a 6r80 in my mustang and went with a tr6060. If I were to buy another mustang with a 5-0 it would definitely be auto

7. Drunkenturtles

I see we have a great diversity in opinion. half and half for manual or auto. I was wanting a manual cuz it is more fun but the auto is just more consistent overall. Let's say I put a supercharger on my auto, how much hp is safe before an upgrade, and how expensive would it be to upgrade and auto compared to a manual? my hp goal is around 600+ to wheel

8. Jgt58

Jgt58 Member

This says it all [​IMG]

Drunkenturtles likes this.
  9. RED09GT

RED09GT Senior Member S197 Team Member

I agree. I wanted to go 6R80 as well but I feared being one of the pioneers. It seems like very few people have a properly functioning swap car and I have heard that the Quick 6 doesn't have the capacity to fully control this transmission.
    I like the concept of using the PCM from a 2011-2014 Auto 5.0 car to run it but I just don't have the patience or the knowledge to pull it off.
    It was just way too easy to put a TR6060 in it and be done.

OP, If you are going to drag race it or just want it to be quick on the street, the 6R80 is the ticket.

10. Jgt58

Jgt58 Member

I don't agree with your last statement. Find your launch point and put a two step in or some line locks and be a racer for God's sake.

You all need to learn to drive.... Quit letting your computer win races for you.

KK14GTCS likes this.
  11. Drunkenturtles

that made me laugh, just came back from the bank and had a quick stoplight drag with a honda accord repping a massive fart can and all I had to do is turn up the music and keep my foot down.

but in all honesty, I don't care about track or serious drag racing, I just wanted to know which trans is more reliable and cheaper to add power to. I just want to have a fast street car that can give most other cars in my shitty town a run for their money lol. I feel like a manual is way better in a slow car *cough* *cough* frs... In a fast car, the speed and sound is fun enough, a good manual trans is the cherry on top.

12. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator S197 Team Member

Auto

13. RED09GT

I've got a 2 step, line lock, no lift, etc... but I am not stubborn enough to think that my car can get down the track faster than a 6R80.
    It is a lot more fun but if you are chasing a timeslip, you really are pissing in the wind vs a well set-up auto.

MrBhp and drive_55_not like this.
  14. Drunkenturtles

so what type of upgrades do I need to do to on an auto to get it up to 600+ safely?

15. RED09GT

If you are doing a P/D blower, the tune and a set of Drag radials will be plenty. With a centrifugal supercharger, you will need a converter as well to really get it to launch.
    The 6R80 seems to be fine box-stock up to around 800, better clutches and input shaft after that point. If that isn't enough, the 4R200 conversion by Power By The Hour will handle some of the baddest coyote combos out there.

16. Drunkenturtles

well. it looks like my option is pretty clear, auto it is. There seems to be no real drawbacks to boosting an auto, minus it being less fun. At least the auto has the gear shifting option so I have some control over my shifting.
    Thanks for the advice

17. Juice

Juice forum member

Get a manual and put in a Magnum XL. Problem solved. And if the stock tranny is in decent shape, sell it to get some money back.

18. Greg Hazlett

Greg Hazlett Stepping on the Pink Bus Official Vendor S197 Team Member

Other way around...at least with regard to the 1/8 or 1/4.

No human alive can outshift a computer.

Ding ding ding

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2020
  19. WNYGT5-0

WNYGT5-0 Member

Descending into a chicane, I’ll out shift and out brake the computer every time. But if you’re straight line-ing auto hands down!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    Jgt58 likes this.
  20. Jgt58

Jgt58 Member

Autos are devil's magic

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.