Axle covered in oil

Tri-bar

Reaction score
Mine has the the Boss 302/GT500 rear cover and at the track it would still leak. The only real way to fix it was to install a breather in the trunk and a hose to the top of the cover. worked like a charm. Pros: No smell, no leak at the track (Puddles), don't even know it's there, Cons: takes up a trunk space. (Don't really use the trunk much anyway) I mounted it on the drivers side.

Will51

forum member
Reaction score
Mine has the the Boss 302/GT500 rear cover and at the track it would still leak. The only real way to fix it was to install a breather in the trunk and a hose to the top of the cover. worked like a charm. Pros: No smell, no leak at the track (Puddles), don't even know it's there, Cons: takes up a trunk space. (Don't really use the trunk much anyway) I mounted it on the drivers side.

Interesting, Ford has been using this axle since the 80's I wonder what changed besides the location of the breather to cause this issue in the later model cars.

Thanks for the info.

Tri-bar

Reaction score
Truth is, my ,86,90 even my 2001 cobra with IRS did it, also put a catch can on them. I think they will all do it driven hard enough.

claudermilk

Reaction score
I put a Bob's Autosport can on. Same pros as Tri-Bar mentioned without the con. It uses the rear two UCA mount bolts and sits up above the axle. You would have no idea it's even there unless you crawled under the car & looked for it.

Tri-bar

Reaction score
Bob's will work well unless your lowered, reports from myself and others have been the center section will smack it, Mine Pony being lowered hit, made a tapping noise over bumps, just a FYI, The JLT sets off to one side, that's the one I would go with for the street.

Will51

forum member
Reaction score
Lol damn, I'm lowered and already ordered it. I'm not lowered much though. I have the eibach pro kit, only lowered about an inch

claudermilk

Reaction score
I'm lowered on Steeda Sport springs and haven't hit the can. I guess it depends on how low you are. My Steedas are about 1.25" so you should be fine to use the Bob's can.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I put a Bob's Autosport can on. Same pros as Tri-Bar mentioned without the con. It uses the rear two UCA mount bolts and sits up above the axle. You would have no idea it's even there unless you crawled under the car & looked for it.

I used the Bob's Autosport catch can on my 2010, but on a 2010, the vent is on the pass side. Zero problems with being lowered 1.25" with Roush springs. Oem diff cover was replaced when the WL watts link was installed....which has it's own drain + fill plugs. (along with a tru-trac, installed at the same time as the watts link). I used a lube locker diff gasket. The WL differential cover is .6" thick aluminum, where it bolts on, but no fins. End of oil leaks.

Tri-bar

Reaction score
At a 1.25 you should be fine, I'm at a 2 inch drop, didn't have much room.

LRS197

forum member
Reaction score
Bob's catch can didn't work for me

I tried to use the bob's catch can. Didn't work. I have eibach pro and 3 inch exhaust. I had an issue with the vent tube fitting on the axle hitting the exhaust. I modified the fitting but it was still real close. But the can itself hit the ford racing finned diff cover. I bought the JLT as the fitting coming out of the vent tube is about 3/4 inch shorter than the bob's fitting. Plus the catch can should clear. I'll have a bob's catch can 4 sale.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back