Bad Salesmen

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
So I've been in sales for as long as I can remember and have even supervised salesmen. It really frustrates me when I see someone lose a sale when the deal was pretty much already closed. The reason I am writing this is because I tried to purchase a product from a vendor(UPR products). I'm not the type of person that calls and asks a billion questions and then doesn't buy anything. If I'm calling a vendor it's because I'm gonna buy something unless the salesman talks me out of it(in which case he did). So I called UPR to order a billet grille. If it had the right amount of bars in the billet grille(I like the grilles with approx. 7 bars) then I would buy it. So I asked the salesman, "how many bars does the grille have?" His response was, " it covers from the top of the grille to the bottom." Refraining from making a sarcastic remark I said, " so you don't know how many bars are in your grille?" He says, "No." Ok then nevermind I'll figure out something else. Wow if that was my salesman he'd better find out how many bars are on that grille. I just can't believe as bad as companies are doing right now that someone would not take initiative to close the sale. Sad but I guess not everyone cares.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Some people won't care as long as they have a paycheck coming in, so why work harder. I have about 10 people under me and now they have to do sales and sales will be on their evals at the end of the year. The first month, I only had one person make the score. They'll learn I'll give them a low rating just as easy also and with a low rating you DON'T get a pay raise. Already handed one low rating for last year, needless to say he wasn't happy. But now he knows I won't take his shit.
bat.gif

There I feel better. Thanks

Haze28

forum member
Reaction score
I went to a dealership once with the intention of buying a Roush they had on the lot and when I asked to take a look at it the salesman said no. I asked why and he said I didn't look like I could afford it. I laughed and told him that he just lost a sale and I was going to tell everyone I know not to step foot on that lot. I should have gotten his supervisor but I was too blown away by his ignorance.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I went to a dealership once with the intention of buying a Roush they had on the lot and when I asked to take a look at it the salesman said no. I asked why and he said I didn't look like I could afford it. I laughed and told him that he just lost a sale and I was going to tell everyone I know not to step foot on that lot. I should have gotten his supervisor but I was too blown away by his ignorance.

I would fire my salesman on the spot if he/she pre-qualified like that.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I have had the "displeasure" of having to deal with more than my fair share of sales people over the past 15 months. When you have to replace everything, you tend to shop a lot. You'd think more of these people would have a clue.

First of all, don't try to sell me what you think I need... give me good value on what I do need. Second, don't BS me... I'll call you on it, and you are done. Finally, I have what you want (money), not the other way around. You are going to have to earn it.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the trouble is the guy on the phone was not a salesman, he was an order taker, huge difference.

I've never earned on salary, only commission, you eat what you kill, makes you a better salesman IMHO.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the trouble is the guy on the phone was not a salesman, he was an order taker, huge difference.

I've never earned on salary, only commission, you eat what you kill, makes you a better salesman IMHO.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000^^

Speeddmn

forum member
Reaction score
I just got done ordering a tad north of 1050 bucks worth of parts for my car. I know it's not nearly a fraction of what some have into their cars. But none the less it's still my money I worked to get.

Called one company and asked in stock, said umm let me check. Then after a few sec said no but should ship in a week or less. So said thanks but need the stuff now. This was the same for all 3 places I called today. I wont ever drag a endor/shop thru the mud. But If a person calls during your hours of operation, answer the fricking phone. I wont pay over $100 over the net, only by phone.

Word to the wise I guess is that know your product your trying to sell/promote!

I met a car salesman that didnt have a clue on how to start a car with a manual trans!! WTF was this dealering thining hiring this guy! Not to mention his primary salers where sports type cars.... ie... gt500s/roush's/saleens/ and good ole mustang GT's!! After he threw me the keys and said!!! "start I dont know how" I tossed them back and said no thanks, this place isnt worth my time.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

local dealer did me the same thing when i went for my 07 f250 , guy was like uh you do know how much these are huh ? sure you wanna look at these ? why not a ranger or f150 ? and just kept making lil smartass comments like that so i told him to gtf and got a new salesman i know exactly why though i was 23 when i went to get it and the truck(s) i was looking to buy were in the 50-60 range

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bad Salesmen well turn me off to a sale no matter how much I want what they are selling.

GRAYPNY

Rich
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was looking at a GT500KR at my local dealership and asked the salesperson to pop the hood so I could look at the motor. He said, "do you relaize that's a $100,000 car?" I said, "well if that's the case, nevermind because I wouldn't pay over $75,000 for it!"

What an asshat ~

Reaction score
I would fire my salesman on the spot if he/she pre-qualified like that.

That happened to me at Jim Skinner Ford.

That afternoon i went to Town and Country ford where i bought my '08 GT/CS for less than they wanted for a 08 just plain GT..

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Right before I bought my GT I was looking at a Shelby GT at a local dealer here. Seems like "Dumbass" was running rampant in that joint. They had removed the official Shelby markup paperwork (which shows an $8000 markup) and stuck a cheap looking markup job that showed a $24,000 "Official Shelby Markup" price tag. Damn GT was over $60,000.

My Dad and I were snickering about it when Salesman Jorge strolled up and asked if I was interested in the car. I said, "Sure....get that fake sticker out of there and we'll talk." "Oh no, that's the real deal. Shelby marks them way up like that." Again.....Dad and I snickered about it. Jorge then had the gall to say, "Well, if you don't believe me we can call Shelby and you can ask them."

:roflmao:

I then whipped out my cell phone and asked him, "Would you like to speak with Amy Boylan or Gary Patterson at Shelby Autos? I have their office, cell, and home numbers." Then proceeded to show the little pissant my phone where I had the numbers. Dad couldn't keep from saying, "Hey boy....that word you're searching your pea brain for happens to be......'Oops'." <yes, that's where I get it from>

Sales manager wasn't much better either. Whole damn place was a clusterfuck. I called Patterson the following Monday morning and told him what was going on. Don't know if they could or did do anything about it. I damn sure never went back to that dump again either.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I've been in sales for as long as I can remember and have even supervised salesmen. It really frustrates me when I see someone lose a sale when the deal was pretty much already closed. The reason I am writing this is because I tried to purchase a product from a vendor(UPR products). I'm not the type of person that calls and asks a billion questions and then doesn't buy anything. If I'm calling a vendor it's because I'm gonna buy something unless the salesman talks me out of it(in which case he did). So I called UPR to order a billet grille. If it had the right amount of bars in the billet grille(I like the grilles with approx. 7 bars) then I would buy it. So I asked the salesman, "how many bars does the grille have?" His response was, " it covers from the top of the grille to the bottom." Refraining from making a sarcastic remark I said, " so you don't know how many bars are in your grille?" He says, "No." Ok then nevermind I'll figure out something else. Wow if that was my salesman he'd better find out how many bars are on that grille. I just can't believe as bad as companies are doing right now that someone would not take initiative to close the sale. Sad but I guess not everyone cares.

This is the typical bullshit you get from aftermarket parts dealers. I swear I don't get it. I bought and X-cal 3 from dallas Mustang and was told I would get a custome tune to go with it. What I got was a "lick and a kiss" tune that made my car shift into overdrive at anything over 30 miles and hour and ran a full half second slower than my "canned" Diablosport tune". When I went back to ask them to "unlock" it or open up some of the other menu's, it was on a day that the whole fucking city was iced over (no I didn't go in my car, went in the wifes car) and there wasn't a soul in there. When one of the counter guys finally got off his personal phone call 15 minutes after I got there, I made my request and he said the guy that does that is gone to lunch.

I said "man, I just called 15 minutes ago and told him I was on my way and he said he would be here. THen I said in a less than pleased voice "God Dammit this is a fucked up way to run a business. The counter guys says "hey, hey,hey if you're gonna talk like that you're gonna half to leave the store." I said sure, I'll leave this fucking poor excuse for a store, contact SCT and tell them how you refused to help with their product you are selling and also that you do not honor your commitment to the customers that you sell their product to. Thne I said "I want to talk to the manager", they said he's not here. I said well whats his phone number. he says"we don't have it",
I said fine, just more for me to complain to SCT about your half assed organization.

The next day I get an email from their customer service dept apologizing for any inconvenience I may have had with my purchased product.

I replied, give the manager's or store owners phone number. I never heard from them again.

If you want to start a fire under me, ask me about aftermarket dealers........lol

FUCK "EM

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
I have to say that I am more impressed when I run into someone that is willing to actually take the time to help someone with their purchase and get them the right items.

On the flipside though, as a commission only person, I can't stand when someone uses me for all their information gathering and leg work, then goes with someone else for the purchase, or tries to completely rip me on the price for a part when they know there's no way I can deal.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
Thats part of sales though. You have to accept the fact that you're gonna get those kind of people. 10 no's to get a yes.

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
Thats part of sales though. You have to accept the fact that you're gonna get those kind of people. 10 no's to get a yes.

I can take the "no's" with no problem, it's just the guys that use me for info because they can't get the other guys to answer their phones.

Colsgt

forum member
Reaction score
I have been calling all dealers within 200 miles of me looking for a new GT. All the sales groups are fucking retarded. I know these cars, and they are trying to tell me that 3.55 gears are not an option. Continually telling me to "come down we have what your looking for, over 400 mustangs" Yeah fuck you, there is no way im driving 150+ miles to go look at a car i dont want, fax me the car with the option lists and pricing, then we can start a deal. otherwise go fuck yourself.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
I have been calling all dealers within 200 miles of me looking for a new GT. All the sales groups are fucking retarded. I know these cars, and they are trying to tell me that 3.55 gears are not an option. Continually telling me to &quot;come down we have what your looking for, over 400 mustangs&quot; Yeah fuck you, there is no way im driving 150+ miles to go look at a car i dont want, fax me the car with the option lists and pricing, then we can start a deal. otherwise go fuck yourself.

I have had more luck with internet salesman. You tell them what you want and they will find it. Hell when I bought my F-150 they had to get it from some lil town up north....i feel as the internet sales people are willing to try more sources.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back