Bama is saying they can't turn off Rear O2's

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Went to get an updated tune and Bama is claiming they now "can't turn off Rear O2's" and I'll be stuck with a check engine light. They've turned them off in the past for me when I had an off-road H, but what's up with now? Wondering if I can turn it off myself with the X4 handheld or did Bama block that? Anyone have experience with this?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Went to get an updated tune and Bama is claiming they now "can't turn off Rear O2's" and I'll be stuck with a check engine light. They've turned them off in the past for me when I had an off-road H, but what's up with now? Wondering if I can turn it off myself with the X4 handheld or did Bama block that? Anyone have experience with this?

No, you cannot turn them off with just the X4. You need the software to edit the tune. As for them "can't turn it off" is more of they "WON'T turn it off" because of emissions laws. My guess would be they possibly got into trouble with the EPA.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
With my tuner, I had to tell him it was for "off road use only." That seemed to make him comfortable enough.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
they can, they choose not too, its a EPA liability issue.

as stated above - it has to be done in the tune file, the handheld doesn't have the ability.

see if they would make you a "Race tune - for track use only"

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
they can, they choose not too, its a EPA liability issue.

as stated above - it has to be done in the tune file, the handheld doesn't have the ability.

see if they would make you a "Race tune - for track use only"

I called em and they refuse to do it. That sucks. Stuck with a check engine light constantly.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have bungs that the O2 sensors can go in? I have an ORH with my rear O2's installed and no CEL. I got tired of taking them in and out just to pass inspection so I left them in with the sparkplug non-fouler trick and it's been like that for years, no problems.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm with stkjock. Get a tuner that sells you what you want. Which is an "off-road" tune. For when you go tothe dragstrip or the road course. wink.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Do you have bungs that the O2 sensors can go in? I have an ORH with my rear O2's installed and no CEL. I got tired of taking them in and out just to pass inspection so I left them in with the sparkplug non-fouler trick and it's been like that for years, no problems.

Just curious for my own knowledge what did you do for the non-fouler? Buy spark plug non fowlers and install the O2’s in them?

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
get a better tune..............

Lito or Lund for instance.

I'm with stkjock. Get a tuner that sells you what you want. Which is an "off-road" tune. For when you go tothe dragstrip or the road course. wink.

While a tune will certainly get rid of the CEL he still might have a problem passing inspection. I can turn off my rear O2's with my Pro Racer Package but every year I would have to put my factory setup in just to pass inspection. My VMP tune fails as well. In my state they hook up to the OBDII port and with rear O2's off I will not pass.

Just curious for my own knowledge what did you do for the non-fouler? Buy spark plug non fowlers and install the O2’s in them?

It's pretty simple. You will need 4 non-foulers. Take two of them and drill them out enough for the O2 sensor to screw in without bottoming out. Pack a little bit of stainless steel wool in the other two non drilled ones. Screw the one with stainless steel into the H-pipe first. Then take the one you drilled out and screw it into the one with the stainless steel wool. Now screw your O2 sensor in. That's it.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
While a tune will certainly get rid of the CEL he still might have a problem passing inspection. I can turn off my rear O2's with my Pro Racer Package but every year I would have to put my factory setup in just to pass inspection. My VMP tune fails as well. In my state they hook up to the OBDII port and with rear O2's off I will not pass.

Not sure where you are but NY is the same. If this situation the car has to go back to "stock tune" with associated hardware for a long enough to set all the readiness monitors to ready and good. Or just tune within the parameters of the law.

Or , in NY, buy a 25 year old (or older) car....like I did. No more emissions inspections for me. Safety only. Plus a '93 Mustang GT is cheaper to do pretty much everything to it. But I love the S197 cars.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The reality is, just run cats. It is the easiest way to pass. Cat converters are not the cork in the exhaust they used to be. You are likely giving up low and midrange torque (and MPG) with an off-road pipe in exchange for a few HP near redline.

As it was stated already, just tune within the law. It is the simplest way to pass emission testing.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Not sure where you are but NY is the same. If this situation the car has to go back to "stock tune" with associated hardware for a long enough to set all the readiness monitors to ready and good. Or just tune within the parameters of the law.

Or , in NY, buy a 25 year old (or older) car....like I did. No more emissions inspections for me. Safety only. Plus a '93 Mustang GT is cheaper to do pretty much everything to it. But I love the S197 cars.

I just leave the non-foulers in. The mustang doesn't get driven that much anymore. Mostly just for pleasure driving. I hear you on the fox body though. I also have a 1984 Mustang SVO as a project car.

The reality is, just run cats. It is the easiest way to pass. Cat converters are not the cork in the exhaust they used to be. You are likely giving up low and midrange torque (and MPG) with an off-road pipe in exchange for a few HP near redline.

As it was stated already, just tune within the law. It is the simplest way to pass emission testing.

Actually the easiest way to pass inspection is to keep your car completely stock. Who wants to do that though? This is a mustang forum. The sparkplug non-fouler is really easy to do and I've been running it for years. Also I didn't lose any low end with my ORH pipe. Recently I took a 320 mile round trip and averaged exactly 21.9 MPG using E85 (hand calculated).

46addict

Reaction score
I’m going Lito for sure. Already sent him an email. Will I have an issue trying to load Lito tunes on a “Bama X4” rather than a true SCT device?
I did exactly what you're trying to do without any problems. I believe the "Bama" plaque on the X4s is just a rebranding with no changes to the internals.

As for failing emissions even with the rear o2's turned off, yes that is a possibility for everyone depending on the system your inspector is using and what your local laws are. If your tuner is making the rear o2 monitor unavailable, and your locality does not allow for any unavailable monitors, you will fail OBD inspection.

Long story short, Lito can work around this. I had rear o2's turned on, no non-foulers installed, and passed Gwinnett County emissions in a 2007 GT with offroad exhaust.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I just leave the non-foulers in. The mustang doesn't get driven that much anymore. Mostly just for pleasure driving. I hear you on the fox body though. I also have a 1984 Mustang SVO as a project car.

Actually the easiest way to pass inspection is to keep your car completely stock. Who wants to do that though? This is a mustang forum. The sparkplug non-fouler is really easy to do and I've been running it for years. Also I didn't lose any low end with my ORH pipe. Recently I took a 320 mile round trip and averaged exactly 21.9 MPG using E85 (hand calculated).

Unless you have dyno runs with and without the cats, I call BS.
As for no cats with non-foulers keeping OBD2 happy, that car without cats still fails the emission test. There is a visual inspection besides the plug-in scan. No cats = FAIL emissions. But whatever, ppl will remove cats and then bitch and moan about getting the car inspected. You knew what you were doing removing emission shit, so deal with it.

Peace, Im out.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Unsure how we got on Emissions inspections. Where my car is registered there is NO emissions, visual, safety, nothing. So I'm golden. I just hate the MIL light, so I'm in touch with Lito now for a new tune to get away from this BAMA crap. In the mean time I'm planning to run eliminators (RC cross-over cable) to lower the voltage. Then when the tune is done I'll put it on and be good to go.

46addict

Reaction score
As for no cats with non-foulers keeping OBD2 happy, that car without cats still fails the emission test. There is a visual inspection besides the plug-in scan. No cats = FAIL emissions. But whatever, ppl will remove cats and then bitch and moan about getting the car inspected. You knew what you were doing removing emission shit, so deal with it.

Peace, Im out.
Not all places do a visual.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score

Peace, Im out.
Sorry you're having a bad day bro

07 Boss

Reaction score
Don’t know why people stick with BAMA.

Anyways, I don’t have cats and pass Obd testing. And no light.

These are mini cat sims. The 90* elbow is just to fit my sensor location.

Sensors screw in and there is a mini catalytic substrate between the exaust and the sensor. They work. Passed smog twice with them. Never an engine light either.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back