Selling car with a tune in it

Ryan D

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed on here but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Going to sell my '08. It's got cold air, gears and hot rod cams in it, so it's been "tuned" for those. Supposedly requires 93 and that's all I've run in it since I put the cams in. Current tune has the O2's and traction disabled from when I was running an off road x pipe, just put the cats back on and bought new sensors for the rear o2's (didn't keep the old ones as I cut the wires to keep the plugs intact to prevent corrosion.) I just need to put the sensors back in and take my wideband out, set the tune back to the initial cam tune and the car will be ready to list. (I used pro racer to disable the o2's in my current tune.)

What's the best way to go about setting it up for the next owner? I guess set the tune back to the BAMA tune that was put on it with the hot rod cams install and leave it be? The off road pipe and drag radials/skinnies will go along with the factory wheels and good rubber. A new owner can't do anything with my X4 handheld can they? I would let it go with the car if it would be beneficial to someone, I assume I would need to wipe and unlock it somehow? What happens to the tune that's in the car, how does someone go about changing something? Sorry for the thousand questions.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The right thing to do is to give your X4 handheld tuner to the new owner since it's married to the car and has the original factory tune stored in it.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
The right thing to do is to give your X4 handheld tuner to the new owner since it's married to the car and has the original factory tune stored in it.

This. If you used that tuner to set it up it’s married to the car anyway so let it go along with it.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Either send the handheld with the car or return it to stock and unmarry it. Too many people sell tuned cars without the tuner which really phucks over the buyer.

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Either send the handheld with the car or return it to stock and unmarry it. Too many people sell tuned cars without the tuner which really phucks over the buyer.

So there is no way for the new owner to retune it with another tuner?

Ryan D

Reaction score

Anything I need to do prior to letting it go? I don't know what it would be but just making sure I don't miss anything.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So there is no way for the new owner to retune it with another tuner?
there is, they would have to buy a tuner, however, the "stock" tune would be lost forever.
if a "stock" tune were needed, you'd have to have a dealer reflash the ECU

Dan07

Reaction score
My 07 came with a Bama tune and tuner from the owner before me. There is no personal info inside the tuner besides his name on the back of the tuner. I can not add any new tunes besides what's in the tuner unless I open my own Bama account and pay for lifetime tunes. Def give the new owner the tuner.

Ryan D

Reaction score
My 07 came with a Bama tune and tuner from the owner before me. There is no personal info inside the tuner besides his name on the back of the tuner. I can not add any new tunes besides what's in the tuner unless I open my own Bama account and pay for lifetime tunes. Def give the new owner the tuner.

Thanks, Dan, that's what I was looking for was if there was anything in the tuner itself that didn't need to go to the new owner. Thanks for that info.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back