Battery drain

Dimontague

Reaction score
Hi all, im very sorry for bringing this again but i cant find with search.

Have had this drain for a couple years....after locking with remote, stereo and other lights go out in my 07 vert. Only leds for steering wheel and climate controls stay on. Ive changed all fuses in the inside fuse box. The only thing left is the brain but i cant remember the name of it. Im going to call a dreaded dealer for a quote for the part and programming, but i dont want to get all the dang questions and an appointment for "bring it in and we will look at it" can someone help with the name of the thing? Ive heard the part is 100 bucks but has to be programmed by dealer for about 200 to 300 bucks....please help this lady not sound like a money pit when i call the dealer lol.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
maybe the Smart Junction Box you are referring to? Pretty sure it handles all the lighting and accessory features

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
First, I would measure the draw. There is always a small amount of draw from computers. Is yours normal draw or is it excessive?
If it is normal, than how old is the battery? Battery may be fine but not fully charged. If the car is not driven much the battery may not get fully charged.
I use a battery tender to keep my stuff charged. My car will drain the battery in about two months if it is not driven.

And finally, if you do need a new SJB, make sure its not getting wet and corroding inside, common issue. And, it can be setup with Forscan, (free program, just need to purchase a ~$25 adapter) no need for dealer programming.

Dimontague

Reaction score
maybe the Smart Junction Box you are referring to? Pretty sure it handles all the lighting and accessory features

Yeah thats ut thank you

First, I would measure the draw. There is always a small amount of draw from computers. Is yours normal draw or is it excessive?
If it is normal, than how old is the battery? Battery may be fine but not fully charged. If the car is not driven much the battery may not get fully charged.
I use a battery tender to keep my stuff charged. My car will drain the battery in about two months if it is not driven.

And finally, if you do need a new SJB, make sure its not getting wet and corroding inside, common issue. And, it can be setup with Forscan, (free program, just need to purchase a ~$25 adapter) no need for dealer programming.

Hu, its been over a year. The lights dont go out and i replaced the battery a year ago. At first if i drove it every day it was ok but a weekend off and ut needed to be charged. Now if i charge the current battery and drive all day it will start the next day but not two days. Three years ago there were leaks that were fixed so im confident it got wet or damp and is why i changed the fuses. I was going to get rid of the car but i love her too much...only 80k miles

What is the item you suggest?

Last edited by a moderator:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Are you asking about Forscan and the adapter needed?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
FORScan is a software program, it's free to download

You will need an ODBII adapter for your laptop to communicate with the car. An ELM327 OBDII adapter can be had on amazon (or other places) for cheap.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score

Dimontague

Reaction score
I would be a little scared at what i might do im not the greatest diy mustang owner. I will get a quote then decide if i want to try the forscan....it googled great! Thanks a bunch all...

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Hi all, im very sorry for bringing this again but i cant find with search.

Have had this drain for a couple years....after locking with remote, stereo and other lights go out in my 07 vert. Only leds for steering wheel and climate controls stay on. Ive changed all fuses in the inside fuse box. The only thing left is the brain but i cant remember the name of it. Im going to call a dreaded dealer for a quote for the part and programming, but i dont want to get all the dang questions and an appointment for "bring it in and we will look at it" can someone help with the name of the thing? Ive heard the part is 100 bucks but has to be programmed by dealer for about 200 to 300 bucks....please help this lady not sound like a money pit when i call the dealer lol.

So why does the leds for your steering wheel and also climate controls stay on...after you have shut the eng off, and locked the car with the key fob ??? My 2010 auto has... 'battery saver' and kills everything after 10 mins, if left on inadvertently. ( it won't kill the 12 vdc for the aux stuff, as I keep my cell phone charger plugged in 24/7).

What's ur current draw with everything shut off ??? Insert a DVM (in DC current mode) in series with either the positive...or negative of battery terminal. If it's a bunch of current, then try removing the fuse under the hood, that feeds the entire SJB. ( SJB has it's own fuse box, for all the misc stuff). IF u see a big drop, then re-insert the main fuse under the hood, that feeds the SJB box....and then start pulling each SJB fuse, one at a time. This will narrow things down a bunch.

You could easily have a high resistance short to the chassis somewhere, anywhere, that's causing the excess, extra current.... ultimately draining the battery after a few days.

BirdMan65

Reaction score
on my 06GT I had intermittent battery draining. Replaced battery, kept an upkeep charger on it worked. But thinking about this and radio would only get non stereo FM?? I think?? Also I can't get the CD portion to do anything at all so I pulled the fuse to radio out of the Fuse Box on rt front fenderwell box. Now car starts every time and no battery drain.
I will probably have to remove and repair radio, maybe not as I don't listen to it very often anyway.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back