Belt question for Whipple and yes, my car runs like crap again...

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Well, seems like my gremlin is back and i've pretty much said screw it. It runs great normal and you can roast the tires if you rev it up a bit (which you couldn't before), but with it in first rolling it still does the dead bog. Not sure what's wrong anymore, but i'm just going to drive it until I do the auto swap someday and then i'm just going to drop it off at Livernois and have them tune the new setup and figure out WTF is wrong with this thing. I've noticed it's getting worse the more I drive it, so maybe the plastic cold air tube is starting to deform again....not sure.

Anyways, to my main question for the whipple 8 rib guys, has anyone tried gates belts with the HD at the end of the part number? My part number is K081223, but they also offer a K081223HD that is a little more and says it's a Heavy Duty Fleet Belt, but all the dimensions are the same. I have a small rip in my current one and want to replace it, but thought maybe the HD would hold up better? Anyone try one yet?

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
shit man...and you're our god here.... you deserve the best S197 here! :handjob:

mrfomoco

Reaction score
Not sure how this would relate, but on my '70 351w I had a similar problem. You could rev it and it idled fine, but as soon as I went to drive it...blah!

My problem ended up being a cracked ignition coil, replaced it with an msd unit and bam...she fliesss.

Like I said, not sure how it relates, but it drove me nuts for about 3 months.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a saleen S/C but I do use the HD gates belts as well as the Good year Gator back, the HD belts do take more of a beating. I really think your plastic inlet tub is probably your problem. I had the steeda one and it cracked, PMP fixed it and I still have it but I won't use it. I use the Saleen Extreme inlet tube and being rubber I don't have to worry about it cracking.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
check your maf kimmer , you may have the same problem kenneth been having ........ a bug in the maf lol

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anyways, to my main question for the whipple 8 rib guys, has anyone tried gates belts with the HD at the end of the part number? My part number is K081223, but they also offer a K081223HD that is a little more and says it's a Heavy Duty Fleet Belt, but all the dimensions are the same. I have a small rip in my current one and want to replace it, but thought maybe the HD would hold up better? Anyone try one yet?

HEY! I use the HD part#. The reason is, the standard belt after just a couple thousand miles, and a few races, would stretch---and likewise start the dreaded squeak..squeak..squeak..squeak.

BUT with the HD belt, the squeak has not returned and the belt does not stretch and I have yet to change one. I always buy two, and have yet to use the second one.

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

klaw

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Kimmer - sorry to hear about your bad luck. Mine's still running OK after putting a counterbalance spring on the boost bypass controller and retuning the low end of the curves.

As for the belt issue, I went with the Steeda 10-rib setup and it's been great so far.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
HEY! I use the HD part#. The reason is, the standard belt after just a couple thousand miles, and a few races, would stretch---and likewise start the dreaded squeak..squeak..squeak..squeak.

BUT with the HD belt, the squeak has not returned and the belt does not stretch and I have yet to change one. I always buy two, and have yet to use the second one.

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg
That's exactly what I needed to know! The plain one wore pretty quick and I also have that damn squeak. I'll order a couple HD's today! Thanks again!

I'm running the stock whipple plastic tube right now, but my custom ST Motorsports metal one that relocates the filter to the bumper is at HardKore right now getting a pretty new paint job..lol

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I searched for a solution to my pulley/belt squeak. Well over a year.

Have these HD belts solved the problem? That is, did the belt squeak ever return, ever?

FORDIFIED3V281

THE HITMAN
Reaction score
I had a whipple on my 07 and every now and then i would tighten the slider pulley they came with and it was good as new again.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I searched for a solution to my pulley/belt squeak. Well over a year.

Have these HD belts solved the problem? That is, did the belt squeak ever return, ever?
So far so good on mine. Between the green HD and the thump_rrr tensioner, mine has been good. I still need to get my tune adjusted for this damn TR6060 though.:asshat:

Reaction score
I just replaced the belt with one of these K081223HD belts. My belt squeak always goes away after installing a new belt, so I'll let everyone know if it returns in a couple months.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back