Bent axle tubes?

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I think my tubes are bent slightly. They replaced the friction material once and I went through it in under 3000 miles, then the dealership claimed ford said to replace the entire guts of the diff. That was 100-150 miles ago, now tonight coming home in the rain, I made a turn over the zebras at a completely reasonable speed and one of the rear tires squealed like I was trying to drive like a knob. Am i wrong thinking this is the tubes being not straight? I'm approaching my next oil change, so I am planning on calling them tomorrow and telling them what day I am dropping it off.

And more importantly, what is Ford's stance on me asking for a different ratio? They are taking it apart again, or replacing it as an assembly, and it would save me time and possibly money later to get a better set of gears in there.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Welcome to the "flaky 8.8 circus." *cue circus music*

If it's not horrible I'd just live with it.

Ford probably won't want to install FRPP 4.10's. YMMV.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I want 3.73's. Car is a 3.31 car. I want to believe they put more time and effort into the "track pack" bits than the standard broke-dick base model ones.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Nope. You can definitely try it, tell them you'll supply the gears in FRPP packaging, the dealership won't be telling Ford Warranty this is going on, though.

Ford doesn't have the ability to diagnose bent housings. My shop could not replace complete housings, either. They replaced the gears 2, 3 times, one time with used gears, reused the carrier, replaced the clutches one or two times, replaced all of the bearings 2-3 times. It seems to have settled down, but my trak lok went out in about 11,000 km after the last time they changed the guts.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You can't just assume what the problem is and then expect your dealer to fix whatever you think is wrong based on an assumption. If you want to find out if your axle tubes are bent, go to Firestone and have your alignment checked (they will check it for free). They have good machines and even their dimwit employees can't screw it up too badly. The printout will tell you the alignment specs on all four corners. If the rear axle is way out then your axle tube may be bent.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Well, we all know the problem is coming from the diff. They've been slowly and surely replacing more and more parts in it. And after every trip, the amount of miles it takes for the noise to come back decreases. Maybe this is a sign that I should just get a 15.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Well, we all know the problem is coming from the diff. They've been slowly and surely replacing more and more parts in it. And after every trip, the amount of miles it takes for the noise to come back decreases. Maybe this is a sign that I should just get a 15.

Or just replace the shitty T-Lok with something that doesn't suck? The T-Lok is one of the least durable clutch based posi units currently available for the 8.8 and it barely deserves the name "limited slip differential". It takes a few thousandths of wear for the diff to basically stop working entirely and that is pretty damn sad.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
My rear used to make a weird noise sometimes on a turn when it was fairly new but doesn't do it anymore. I always thought I had a bend axle or rotor.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Or just replace the shitty T-Lok with something that doesn't suck? The T-Lok is one of the least durable clutch based posi units currently available for the 8.8 and it barely deserves the name "limited slip differential". It takes a few thousandths of wear for the diff to basically stop working entirely and that is pretty damn sad.

The eaton tru-trac is reasonably priced...like 1/2 of a Torsen. Up to 3.5:1 bias ratio, depending on gear oil used. IMO, it's pointless to keep re-building the oem Ford Traction-lok...pita..esp if you are paying someone to do it, just not cost effective. The Roush track-pack 08-09 cars all came with the eaton tru-trac, so did their 700 crank hp car they had at the 2012 sema show.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back