Big "Fuel" Related Day

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
Mod, please move if in the wrong section.

This weekend I replaced:

1. Stock Fuel filter - replaced with OEM
2. Stock Fuel Rails - replaced with Scott Drake fuel rails and added Fore Innovation Fuel Line Adapter
3. Stock Fuel Line - replaced with Russell Stainless Steel Fuel Line Kit
4. Stock Fuel Injectors - replaced with Ford Performance EV6 High Flow Injectors - 24 lb.

Lessons Learned:
- Have plenty of rags and I mean plenty. Even with the system depressurized, you will have fuel spillage. Mainly when removing the fuel filter and the fuel line adapter

- Can't do the job without a disconnect tool. I used the Lisle 39400 Angled Disconnect Tool Set

- Wear safety goggles...let me say again, wear safety goggle. I had a brain fart and failed to snap in the fuel line adapter. This bonehead move was followed by another bonehead move...I pressurized system....this 2d bonehead move was followed, by a third bonehead move...me sticking my head in to check leaky fuel injector. Wanna guess what happened next? The pressure in the system released the "unsnapped" fuel line adapter, resulting in...wait for it....me getting fuel in my face. The safety goggles saved my day.

- Fuel injectors have to go in and be seated properly. Lube the rubber ring and gently, but firmly snap them in...ensure, the are seated...did I say that already? While the passenger side was perfect, I had two injectors on the driver side leak. The fault? You guested it...improperly seated fuel injectors. Which means, depressurizing the system again, re-lube and re-seat.

- AN fittings. Use Loctite 567 to seal of the threads, but most importantly, don't be afraid to firmly tightening the AN fittings, mainly those without rubber O-ring. I had one fitting leak fuel, because I failed to tighten
it properly.

A thing about Scott Drake fuel rails. I think I bought the last set from American Muscle, because they are no longer available, later I found out SD discontinue them. Most critical is that Scott Drake also discontinued the fuel rail kit that comes with the right fittings. This kit is no where to be found. What did I do? I looked at an image of the kit and purchased the fittings, separately, one at a time. It all worked one, but what a pain.

Ok, that's all. Fire away with questions if you have any.

fyc2eeA.jpg

t6CZdzy.jpg

CydYsWx.jpg

Last edited:

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
Well, the fuel filter was just preventive maintenance. But, I got to admit, I had no good reason, other than I am always looking to change things up and I thought the stock fuel rails were dull. I love tinkering with this car--

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Shame people are discontinuing 4.6 3v stuff. Maybe it'll bounce back. The old motors still have a good aftermarket following after all.

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
You are right, from what I can tell...Scott Drake introduced the fuel rails during the 2009 SEMA show and I believe they discontinued production 2017, heck maybe even earlier. That's a short lived life span for a product which means, in my opinion, that there was no demand.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Hey, you have the same COP covers as me! Mine aren’t so shiny anymore but great touch to smarten up the engine bay.

Where did you move the frps to?

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
The COPS cover do shine if you give it a good polish--which I haven't done because all the handing during this project. The Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor is in the same location as stock, check out the first pic

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back