Billet oil pump gears w/Pwr Adder

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a reputable shop here in DFW and the person i spoke to on the phone recommended billet oil pump gears with the addition of a power adder.

He said that would be his number one concern for failure, over the stock rods/pistons.

Anyone have any input? Ive heard of this before, but it seems that a piston or a rod would fail first.

Scuba-Matt

Boost freak
Reaction score
They are speaking the truth. Get the new oil pump gears, And have them install some forged internals while their at it.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yes, it's a concern, before stock rods/pistons IDK. IMO the power needed to do \/ would take more then the stock internals could take, however it has a lot to do how you drive it.

P1013485.jpg

/thread

toorbeenee

turbine lunatic
Reaction score
Dave is right(stkjock),,,here is mine from about a month ago, ive had it for the past 4 years, got it from MMR.

oilpump2_zpsaae702af.jpg

ChiDiddy

forum member
Reaction score
When I did my motor, the shop said they never seen an iron block (what i have) with a failed stock pump. Only those who had built aluminum blocks.

But I wish I decided to do it when built just for piece of mind

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a reputable shop here in DFW and the person i spoke to on the phone recommended billet oil pump gears with the addition of a power adder.

He said that would be his number one concern for failure, over the stock rods/pistons.

Anyone have any input? Ive heard of this before, but it seems that a piston or a rod would fail first.

It happens. The georotors are made from powdered metal and they break sometimes. My own opinion is that a quality balancer and good balance on the rotating assembly are more important than billet gears but I don't think like most people. If I had a motor that needed a heavier viscosity oil or had a turbo I'd use billet gears.

Remember, it's just an opinion.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
It happens. The georotors are made from powdered metal and they break sometimes. My own opinion is that a quality balancer and good balance on the rotating assembly are more important than billet gears but I don't think like most people. If I had a motor that needed a heavier viscosity oil or had a turbo I'd use billet gears.

an opinion that is appreciated. i have speculated that due to the high rpm nature of these motors if a quality aftermarket harmonic balancer would be a good idea, but never really got a lot of feedback. I figured if one has a tune/boss intake on their GT and is spinning it to 7500, a good balancer would be a really good idea.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

good balance def makes a difference, I'd agree, as well as I stated above, how you drive it, do not bang off the limiter - jump out and back in to the gas, that shock to the rotating assembly will crush the powdered gears IMO>

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
regardless of balance,how you drive or if the pigs can fly......do your self a favor, spend the $300 and add the gears, i wish i had them on my first built motor.....would have saved me a few thousand when my oil pump broke at the track. its just good insurance, if you have the motor tore apart then there no reason to not throw them in there.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
regardless of balance,how you drive or if the pigs can fly......do your self a favor, spend the $300 and add the gears, i wish i had them on my first built motor.....would have saved me a few thousand when my oil pump broke at the track. its just good insurance, if you have the motor tore apart then there no reason to not throw them in there.

qft

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
an opinion that is appreciated. i have speculated that due to the high rpm nature of these motors if a quality aftermarket harmonic balancer would be a good idea, but never really got a lot of feedback. I figured if one has a tune/boss intake on their GT and is spinning it to 7500, a good balancer would be a really good idea.

Indeed. I use an ATI balancer on my car and it sees 7,800+. I would definitely recommend.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Are you doing forged internals also?
I went with the TSS gears too.
I dont plan on going with a forged shortblock until after the car is paid off.

I was thinking of putting a whiff of spray on it, but now seeing the extra $ that i will have to spend anyways, i may as well just wait for boost. im in no rush. but im glad i found this out before, and not after.

i dont expect, nor want, crazy hp numbers...whatever it makes on 6-8lb boost will be plenty for me.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I dont plan on going with a forged shortblock until after the car is paid off.

I was thinking of putting a whiff of spray on it, but now seeing the extra $ that i will have to spend anyways, i may as well just wait for boost. im in no rush. but im glad i found this out before, and not after.

i dont expect, nor want, crazy hp numbers...whatever it makes on 6-8lb boost will be plenty for me.

Famous last words.

Back