Blacked out rear lights :-(

N2STC

Reaction score
The former owner put some black coating on the taillights and high mount stop. I'll admit it looks cool, but dims the brake lights too much in my opinion, causing a hazard. I replaced the high mount stop with a cheap LED one from Amazon. Not bright enough. I just ordered a LED bulb for the high mount stop from super bright LEDs. Can anyone suggest a way to remove the black coating? Perhaps I could just take it off of the center stop light. Other suggestions are also welcome.
Stan

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have u tried buffing it off with a light compound?

Reaction score
The former owner put some black coating on the taillights and high mount stop. I'll admit it looks cool, but dims the brake lights too much in my opinion, causing a hazard. I replaced the high mount stop with a cheap LED one from Amazon. Not bright enough. I just ordered a LED bulb for the high mount stop from super bright LEDs. Can anyone suggest a way to remove the black coating? Perhaps I could just take it off of the center stop light. Other suggestions are also welcome.
Stan
If the tint is spray on acrylic (and most are) alcohol should dissolve it without damaging the plastic. Here is a video using throttle body cleaner that works really well too.

Last edited:

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Also, if you think it will help, you could go into auto part store, grab a can & read the label. Guessing they have removal steps on the can...maybe?

dustyn83

Reaction score
Had success using brake cleaner in the past. It didn't damage the taillights.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Go to a pick-your-part junkyard and get a pair of taillights out of a V6/GT. Or eBay. Done. Sell your tinted ones. Someone would probably buy them.

N2STC

Reaction score
Update: Tried carb cleaner with acetone on the middle stop light. No effect. Will try rubbing compound. Maybe if the replacement LED bulbs are bright enough, I can just leave it. I appreciate all of the suggestions.

gbstang

Reaction score
go to your local auto parts store, get a headlight restoration kit, it has the mandrel for your drill and the fine grit sand paper to redo the lights, the only thing though is you will not be able to get into those creases between the individual lenses, but I think leaving those creases black would look cool!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It'll be way less work and aggravation to just swap them out. And you can sell the tinted ones to get some(all?) your money back. Just sayin......

gbstang

Reaction score
It'll be way less work and aggravation to just swap them out. And you can sell the tinted ones to get some(all?) your money back. Just sayin......

Not really, first you have to find a nice set, then after you part with those hard earned bucks to get them,,you have to wait for them to be delivered.. After you swap them out, you now have to wait again for someone to buy yours.. No,,just use the headlight kit to restore them, you will only have an hour or two into the job and be back in business!

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Not really, first you have to find a nice set, then after you part with those hard earned bucks to get them,,you have to wait for them to be delivered.. After you swap them out, you now have to wait again for someone to buy yours.. No,,just use the headlight kit to restore them, you will only have an hour or two into the job and be back in business!
Literally dime a dozen in junkyards, such as LKQ. I bet you could get a set for like 50 bucks from LKQ.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Literally dime a dozen in junkyards, such as LKQ. I bet you could get a set for like 50 bucks from LKQ.

This. And also all the V6 cars use the exact same lights. So even buying one here and one there will work.

gbstang

Reaction score
This. And also all the V6 cars use the exact same lights. So even buying one here and one there will work.

Yeah, to say they are the same as a V6 car---really? LOL...

gbstang

Reaction score

Yeah, have seen plenty in junkyards too, they are not all that great, most are blurry from having been exposed to the elements 24/7
Its cool if you're just lazy and don't think restoring your lights are an option or doing anything on your car to save cash.. Remember: a fool and their money....

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, to say they are the same as a V6 car---really? LOL...
They are absolutely the same taillight housing from GT to V6 in the 2005-2009 model year.

Yeah, have seen plenty in junkyards too, they are not all that great, most are blurry from having been exposed to the elements 24/7
Its cool if you're just lazy and don't think restoring your lights are an option or doing anything on your car to save cash.. Remember: a fool and their money....
Why jump on here and start suggesting we are lazy and foolish for suggesting an alternative option, that would likely have more favorable results than trying to remove spray paint from plastic for hours?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Right https://www.lkqonline.com/2006-ford-mustang-tail-lamp-assembly/-h3KjmncKKj
Left https://www.lkqonline.com/2006-ford-mustang-tail-lamp-assembly/-h4KjmncKKj

$90 bucks for a pair. My time and aggravation is worth something to me. Fucking with painted taillights to remove tint is worth a hundred bucks plus a little time or so to be done with it. Then I would sell the tinted units for $75 bucks and be $25 into it plus a little time I spent swapping them. That's easy math for me. You can do what you are comfortable with. We all do what we think/feel is the right way to do it.

R27c286ebdc9fe8b1936ad6491f17de7f

Last edited:

gbstang

Reaction score
They are absolutely the same taillight housing from GT to V6 in the 2005-2009 model year.

Why jump on here and start suggesting we are lazy and foolish for suggesting an alternative option, that would likely have more favorable results than trying to remove spray paint from plastic for hours?

LOL, Yeah, everybody on this forum KNOWS they are they same!! I was being sarcastic, but then you would need to read into that...comes with education I guess. I have probably owned more cars, (Mustangs also) than you have so I think I know a bit more about them.....

I am NOT suggesting something foolish, only to you I guess.. To throw away your money on a set of tail lights because only YOU are too lazy to put in a bit of work speaks volumes... Now go back to bed, mommy says adults are talking and its past your bedtime.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back