Boss 302 vs S197 11-14 strut tower brace

JediGuy

Reaction score
I have both. The Boss 302 would not fit my old aftermarket (HEAVY) hood, so I got a used 12 GT brace and powdercoated it. Life happened, never got it installed.
Now, I picked up and am venting an OEM hood, with a plan to do some other aero and track it.

So here’s the question:
Is the Boss 302 actually any better than the GT brace?

JerryZ

Reaction score
The Boss 302 brace will clear the boss intake; the GT brace won't. Other than that, either will do the job.

Merit1

Reaction score
I agree with Jerry. I installed the Boss 302 intake so I had to ditch my Ford Racing brace. The Boss intake is higher than the stock one but beyond that there is no difference in the functionality of the brave.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've had 3 different strut tower braces. They might make a difference in handling (meaning a difference between no brace and having a brace); however, I can tell zero difference between the brands behind the wheel.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The....'boss 302 stb' actually 1st came out in 2010, for the 2010 GT. It was used in 2011 for the V6 cars...(which requires way more clearance vs the 2011+ 5.0 eng)
In 2012, they re-named it..the 'boss 302 stb'.

I had to toss mine..after the M90 blower install, it would not clear the Roush CAI, which on a 2010 is on the driver's side. My problem with most of these front STB's is... they only use the inboard pair of studs on each strut mount. That, and the holes in the stb are elongated slots. Plus there is only 26 ft lbs of tq on em.

I sold the 'boss 302' stb to a buddy for his 2008 ( it will fit any 05-10 GT). Replaced it with the steeda CM front stb ( and also steeda hd front strut mounts, which allow for camber adjustment). Steeda makes 2 CM front stb's, that will clear roush M90 / TVS-2300 blowers on 2010-2012 cars... since they all came with the oem...'power dome hood'. The steeda version uses all 4 studs on BOTH ends of the stb. Round close fitting holes are used...so it's a snug fit. The actual CM stb uses sphericals at each end, and is adjustable in overall length with threaded lock nuts. One end is rvs threaded. Ok, now with 26 ft lbs on all 8 x studs..and using mating close fitting holes in the end sections ( which are sunken pretty deep) it doesn't budge, it can't.

An added bonus is, when swapping to the bigger FRPP twin 62mm TB.... and / or replacing last spark plug (#8, which is on driver's side..closest to firewall) , the stb transverse bolt is simply removed, opposite end transverse bolt loosened up a bit, then the stb swings upwards in an arc, allowing for easy access to either TB, and / or plug #8. Adjustable camber via the steeda hd strut mounts isn't altered/ changed. It can be swung up on either side...or completely removed...leaving just the steeda hd end mounts..with their respective 4 x studs each.

You can't bond to the 'firewall', since the real firewall is behind what you think is the firewall in the eng bay.

IMO, the front stb is like closing off the 4th side of a rectangle. The front end is solidified a bit better. I know one fellow on the roush forum, who was in an accident on his local hwy, (woman in middle lane blathering on her cell phone decides to change into curb lane he was in)....and he ended up putting his car into a lamp post. His body repair guy said if the stb was not there.... the damage would have been a helluva lot worse...write off. He hit the lamp post, right where the pass side strut assy resides. Damage was repaired, he got lucky. He hit the post pretty damned hard.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back