Brake fluid question

slowlyrolling

Shifting
Reaction score
I've searched, and did not find my answer.

My clutch does not return all of the way (sometimes) after spirited driving, I figured I'd flush the brake fluid and switch to DOT4. How much will I need? Will I need to bleed the clutch too? (how?) along with the brakes?

Thanks in advance, any known links will be new to me, and I'd love to read them.

EDIT: Found how to bleed the clutch, just need to know how much fluid to go buy.

Last edited:

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
1.5 liters will be enough.

Easy way to change fluid is to get a cheap grocery store baster for $2 and suck the fluid out of the master cylinder and fill it with fresh fluid.

Use rags to keep the fluid out of your face when you pop the clutch line off, then refill the reservoir and bleed the brakes and keep topping off the fluid.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
I used a big syringe to pull as much of the brake fluid out of the master cylinder and into a glass jar, removed the bolt, pulled off the reservoir and drained the rest of it out. Reinstalled the reservoir and then crawled under the car and disconnected the line to the clutch slave cylinder.

After that finished draining out, I filled the reservoir with Super Blue DOT 5, bled the clutch using my hand vac until it was good and firm again. Removed the tires and using a clear piece of hose, I put one end of the hose into the glass jar filled with old fluid and the other onto the brake caliper nipple. Loosened the brake caliper nipple and pumped the brake slowly until I could see clean running Super Blue DOT 5 coming out of the clear hose. Close the nipple without removing the tube and go to the next tire.

All told, took me right about an hour.

SherrodMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I use a motive bleeder I picked up from Summit Racing. Makes easy work of bleeding the brakes on your own. Have some brand new cans of Super Blue ready to go back in the car when I get the brake calipers back from PC.

Three 1L cans, more than enough for job and then some.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
2 liters minimum,i bought 3, i just flushed mine from front to rear including the clutch (my motor is currently out of the car)

i used

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATE-Super-B...Parts_Accessories&hash=item589834f401&vxp=mtr

it is blue and you can tell between the old and new stuff

i also bought earls speed bleeders from summit racing, and just used a cheap brake bleeder kit with the clear hose and the cup. went to each caliper 2-3 times and pumped away, with the speed bleeders you dont have to open and close and have someone there to help.....they make it real easy to flush the fluids....i was going to do the pump method...but i just used the speed bleeders

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
actually I just did a flush today with ate super blue but something seems a little off....I didnt even use a full liter? its there something else going on here? I bled all the lines and they are all blue

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I used 2 liters, but I pumped a lot out even once it turned blue just to make sure I got all the old stuff out, then I went around and did them again...I'm sure I wasted some

leviathon

forum member
Reaction score
so the car probably holds just under a liter? I mean i double checked them all and they were all very blue. not to much change in pedal feel though I still go about 2 1/2 3 inches before the brakes bite

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back