Break in oil... then?

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
I have always run VR-1 10w30 (dino oil) in my built 3v's break-in and then after. Finally got 500 miles on my new motor and wanting to run Driven (joe gibs).

Radical build.
-10.5:1 custom diamond pistons teflon coated with ceramic tops
-30psi boost
-Custom L&M cams
-VCT locked out
-Stainless valves/bronze guides
-TSS oil pump on 2013 gt500 oil pump (used my old check valve and spring for the 3v)
-oil psi is 40 at warm idle, 80 when running
** entire motor is new (except re-used Kellogg crank)

Pushing the motor to 7k rpm

Any reason not to run the Driven now?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I've always done a 20mph to Redline WOT run x10 letting the engine and gearing slow the car down and call it broken in! Rings set! Drain oil and Run what you want after that as long as it's not too thick of course. Never done a 500 mile break in. Not even sure that's valid.

crownaviation

Reaction score
I've always done a 20mph to Redline WOT run x10 letting the engine and gearing slow the car down and call it broken in! Rings set! Drain oil and Run what you want after that as long as it's not too thick of course. Never done a 500 mile break in. Not even sure that's valid.

I always do a warm up at high idle then cool down. Change oil and filter then hard pulls and hard decels. You can literally feel the motor loosen up once the rings break in. That is all done. I then stay off the highway and only do town driving till 500 miles to give everything else a chance to break in.

Just never ran the driven synthetic before on a motor build like this. I always change filter and oil at 1000 miles regardless on this thing (not my normal cars lol). If I spend a full weekend at the track I will also change it. The way I look at it is oil is cheap

And wait, you still dont have 500 miles on your car!

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I break in with old school castrol dino then switched to Joe Gibbs 5w-40. Michael at L&M told me this was okay to do after seating the rings and about 200 miles.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
I am a manufactures rep for driven and have been for a couple years now. I run the 50w in mine because all of my vct is deleted... If your happy with the oil pressure from the 10w 30 I would just run the driven LS 30... I'm getting almost 3500 miles out of mine before it starts to change color. Use your nose and eyes and you'll know when it's time to change it. I've gone up to 5000 miles no problem...

crownaviation

Reaction score
I break in with old school castrol dino then switched to Joe Gibbs 5w-40. Michael at L&M told me this was okay to do after seating the rings and about 200 miles.

That's what I was wondering. Have a case of 10w 30 I bought before the dinosaurs died lol. My pressure is great so will run it

niner555

forum member
Reaction score
I used Driven BR30 oil for the initial/500 mile break-in and now use the LS30 for regular street/track use. Rings seated right away and I have had no issues at all.....Driven is great stuff!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back