Broke the 8.8

fastregalwe2

Need more powa!
Reaction score
As useless as this thread might be, I am writing it anyway. Car is 08 Saleen around 500-525RWHP with 555Rs and 4.10s in the rear. Been hearing some clunking for a couple weeks somewhere in the driveling when Id let the clutch out in first gear. Was going to look at it but was too lazy. Drove the car from Va Beach to St. Louis and no issues. Was up there about a week and got 30 miles out of St. Louis headed back and shifted into 5th and clunk. Sounded like the driveshaft was banging the floor pan. I pulled over and jacked it up driveshaft is fine. So I moved it around the parking lot and its def in the rearend. Called 10 tow trucks and no one wanted to tow it either because it was low (Saleen) or because I only needed it to go 5 miles. Anyway, after getting it trailered to a friends house I didn't even bother to pull the rear cover. I just left it there in her driveway and drove back to VA. I'm thinking the center pin with that little 8mm bolt broke or it snapped an axle shaft. Its smoother rolling and then I can feel it clunk and when it does that it kinda wiggles the rear of the car. I cant get back up there for over a month either to even start to fix it. blaaaaaaa!!!

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Time for a trutrac!

Truetrac's have their own issues,, After 3+ years of some serious abuse mine cracked the case around the worm gears and started shedding metal. Had a heck of a time getting the c-clips out .

I r&r'd it with a pre-owned unit that has some internal feathering going on itself.

Time for c-clip eliminators and a locker this winter ..

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
Truetrac's have their own issues,, After 3+ years of some serious abuse mine cracked the case around the worm gears and started shedding metal. Had a heck of a time getting the c-clips out .

I r&r'd it with a pre-owned unit that has some internal feathering going on itself.

Time for c-clip eliminators and a locker this winter ..

The 33 spline True track has a heavier case and 5 worm gears instead of 3 for the 31 spline unit. Therefore the 33 spline version of the Truetrac is much stronger than the 31 spline unit.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Damn it, that is the kind of info I could have used YESTERDAY!

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Damn it, that is the kind of info I could have used YESTERDAY!

http://vmptuning.com/index.php?p=ca...rch_in=name&search_str=+differential&x=29&y=5

This shows both 31 + 33 spline versions. The 33 spline version has 4 pinions per side.... instead of 3.

Of course you would require new...33 spline axles for the 33 version.
Never knew eaton made a beefed up version. VMP uses it on their 8 sec 2011 car. For the extra $151, it's a bargain..albeit cost of new axles.

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
I've said it before and gotten flack for it but helical gear differentials by design are not meant for drag racing. The TruTrac is a very stout unit and that's why it holds up pretty well to the abuse that drag racing puts it through, but it is not designed for it.

A locker or good LSD will be the best choice if we're planning on launching the car hard. I myself went with the Auburn Pro. The one issue with this particular unit is that it is not rebuildable, but the Eaton Posi and Yukon DuraGrip are. They also have the Auburn ECTED which is an electronic locker which acts as a regular LSD when the locker is not engaged. It is the only one that I know of that does this. The rest of them act as an open differential when unlocked.

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
http://vmptuning.com/index.php?p=ca...rch_in=name&search_str=+differential&x=29&y=5

This shows both 31 + 33 spline versions. The 33 spline version has 4 pinions per side.... instead of 3.

Of course you would require new...33 spline axles for the 33 version.
Never knew eaton made a beefed up version. VMP uses it on their 8 sec 2011 car. For the extra $151, it's a bargain..albeit cost of new axles.

Good to know, wondered what the difference was when I saw the two on JPC's site.

mach828

forum member
Reaction score
540hp and 100s of passes on a 31 spline ford trac lok and 31 spline mosers with moser carrier studs. Stock cover. About to see how it likes launching with a built auto.

The stock diff holds up well for drag racing if you pack it tight. And I mean really tight. If you don't modify the clutch/steel packing it slips a lot and generates heat. Then burns up. And the power distribution is uneven.

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
540hp and 100s of passes on a 31 spline ford trac lok and 31 spline mosers with moser carrier studs. Stock cover. About to see how it likes launching with a built auto.

The stock diff holds up well for drag racing if you pack it tight. And I mean really tight. If you don't modify the clutch/steel packing it slips a lot and generates heat. Then burns up. And the power distribution is uneven.

On my last pass the last time I was at the track in the burnout box one of my tires stopped spinning mid burnout :(

fastregalwe2

Need more powa!
Reaction score
I still haven't gotten up to where the car is. Moving from VA to OK taking all my time. I had a friend pull the rear cover and take a look but they didn't know what to look for. Looks to me in this pic that the pinion gear is missing a couple tips on a few teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fastregalwe2

Need more powa!
Reaction score
05d2d8ed717d36d102d14c7b453beecd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I actually sheared off all but two bolts. The only thing that wasn't damaged was the axle itself. Everything else got replaced.

Hope your luck is better.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back