Can I reuse drained oil?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I did my oil change 1500 miles ago. But due to scheduling and life I will only have time this week to change my dented oil pan.

Can I drain the oil on to a clean pan and reuse it?

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
6 qts is cheap insurance. I would not put any used oil back in. Too many chances of contamination.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If new oil it's too much for you, sell the car and find a new hobby.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You asked the stupid question.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nope. I never have and never will reuse oil. If I poured it in and dumped it out without even firing the engine, it's replaced with new.

IMO, it's a stupid question.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
As long as the pan and container you drain it into is clean, go for it. Makes no difference if it spends 2 hrs outside of the engine...

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Pan you drain in won't be perfectly clean, and what about the edge of the drain pan hole? Road dirt and crap hang out there. Just spent the $18 at walmart for the Ford 5qt and be done.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nope. I never have and never will reuse oil. If I poured it in and dumped it out without even firing the engine, it's replaced with new.

IMO, it's a stupid question.

Not stupid, but a person can spend their money any way they chose.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you already made up your mind. Why ask what others think?

It's a stupid question in my opinion. I'll not apologize for my assessment. Do what you will.

I'm as relaxed as can be.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Clean pan, strain it through a filter and reuse it. you can get paper paint filters at Home Depot that work perfect for reusing fluids such as oil or transmission fluid. Some people may scoff but from a mechanical perspective it is a perfectly sound practice and won't hurt a thing.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Most I do with used oil, is take it out of my oil separater and put it in my lawn mower. Everything else I get concerned about risking any contaminates getting in and putting it back into my car engine.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have done it many times with fairly fresh, usually under 500 miles, oil. If your container is clean and you run it through a paint filter before going back in, there isn't any problem that I can see. I run Amsoil and at $10 a quart, that's $80 I don't need to spend, when the oil is perfectly fine. At 1500 miles you are getting into a gray area, I think with that amount of miles I would go ahead and change it out.

Last edited:

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
Like above as long as the pan is clean and you filter it, not a big deal. At 1500 miles i would just change it personally, but im a oil freak and change syn oil every 3k anyways.

5.ohmygod

Reaction score
I used to have an old beater car that used oil pretty bad. Every time I needed to stock up on oil to dump into it, it was time to change the oil in my better vehicle. I figured if that oil was good enough to come out of the good car, it was good enough to go into the beater. Lol

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
You can drink your own piss if you need to, but it's only recommended if absolutely necessary.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
how old is the oil... 1500 miles in 3 months or 9?????

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back