car is running weird

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
Bad gas? Someone put something in gas? Jumped timing? If you pull the coil pack plugs one by one does it change idle at all? Recheck maf connection ensure no moisture got in there?

pics06gtstang

forum member
Reaction score
i did a panhard bar brace not stb i only disconnected the positive terminal from the battery.

i dont want to sound like a smart ass and it aint gonna help ya
none , but next time do the negative cable only .
Hell go old school and try and touch/tie your pos. & neg. cables together
for 10 minutes or so , that will clear some shit up for ya .

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
well now i'm in a whole new world of fucked, i thought shits and giggles i'll put the stock tune and intake back on and see what happens. can't hurt right? well my sct failed 2 times to erase the module. finally it did and stock tune was put on. i go to fire it up and it wont crank, the starter clicks rapidly. it started this am just fine but ran like shit. i go to put the dyno tune on same thing wont start starter is ticking rapidly. is my ecu dieing? cause i replaced it only a few months ago

think i figured it out, not sure but alternator sounds like a supercharger and when turned by hand with the belt off it squeaks a lot. sounds like a chew toy. had a battery booster hooked up to the car and it ran better. so i think thats the source of the problem.

Last edited:

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
i'd be willing to bet it's the alternator. original? mine was toast at 58k miles.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I was going to say it was either your battery or alternator but it looks like you have found it. These cars are super sensitive in regards to electrics.

pics06gtstang

forum member
Reaction score
they are known for issues . TSB on a diode issue .
hell i kept on getting a cam phaser sensor code and running rough and i read
on a TSB that the alternator was the cause and sure enough
put a new alt. in and all been fine since , 3 years now .
GOOD LUCK !

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
putting a new one on tomorrow morning.

Use the alternator from the 2010. The 2010 alternator is a 3 phase unit. The 05-09 alternators are all single phase types...which went the way of the do-do bird years ago. I'm surprised Ford even used single phase alternator's. The 3 phase type used in the 2010 is far more eff..and trouble free. It's also a direct drop in on any 05-09 car.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
thanks for all the help guys, picked up a new alternator this morning just slapped it on car ones perfectly. now if it would stop raining that would be great so i can go play in it lol

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
While it's possible for a tune to become corrupted it's actually pretty rare. Usually it's not the tune, but people reload tunes and get a different result and assume the tune must have been corrupted. Since you've let the computer wipe and have tuned it from modified to stock and back to modified, until you actually get some sensor codes thrown, I would treat it like a tune re-learn.

Any time I've let the car sit with no power for an extended period, it always runs like ass when I put power back to it and drive it. I've never had to re-tune my car because it sat with no power though. (2 months was my longest down time). Usually within a couple hundred miles and a week of driving it learns how to run proper again. Now that I'm not cammed, it only takes about a day. If you have been driving the car like normal for over a week and it still drives like shit, then I would throw gas on the car and throw a book of matches at it.

Edit:

One other thing that is a constant is Open Loop. At WOT the car runs in open loop, in other words assuming everything is working as it should mechanically and sensors are true, if you put your foot on the wood the car should perform because the car will operate based on the open loop tune. Open loop doesn't use adaptive learning, it does exactly what the tuner originally tuned it to do when it left the dyno. So the next time the car is up to operating temp, put the hammer down and see if it performs like it did prior to its downtime. Closed loop with adaptive learning has all kinds of range to learn, and since the car has been wiped and re-tuned, it has to start from square one. When I was cammed, I had to actually leave the car sit and idle for a while just so it didn't die on me when I rolled to a stoplight. It's the little things that piss us off the most LOL.

Also, I listened to your video clip on the 5.1 surround sound, and I didn't notice anything that sounded odd. Has a nice exhaust note, no popping or stumbling, based on that sound clip I'd say it sounds healthy.

Last edited:

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
While it's possible for a tune to become corrupted it's actually pretty rare. Usually it's not the tune, but people reload tunes and get a different result and assume the tune must have been corrupted. Since you've let the computer wipe and have tuned it from modified to stock and back to modified, until you actually get some sensor codes thrown, I would treat it like a tune re-learn.

Any time I've let the car sit with no power for an extended period, it always runs like ass when I put power back to it and drive it. I've never had to re-tune my car because it sat with no power though. (2 months was my longest down time). Usually within a couple hundred miles and a week of driving it learns how to run proper again. Now that I'm not cammed, it only takes about a day. If you have been driving the car like normal for over a week and it still drives like shit, then I would throw gas on the car and throw a book of matches at it.

i swapped tunes many times, had the car on rollers and i've never had it run this rough, this is beyond a little rough.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
capture a datalog. that might shed some light.

did you unplug the o2 sensors since last year as part of the work you were doing? did you get them plugged back in to the right sensors?

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
capture a datalog. that might shed some light.

did you unplug the o2 sensors since last year as part of the work you were doing? did you get them plugged back in to the right sensors?

what do i capture? settings? and yes the 02 sensors were unplugged and i did replace one that had gone bad recently a couple months ago. it was also the main o2 sensor, but that would have thrown a cel considering mine was just delayed on warming up and it threw a code.

i may wait til tonight and try crusing on the freeway for a little bit but i doubt thats going to change anything but would finally rule out the tune issue but i highyl doubt thats it

i getting really sick of this damn car, between last years engine harness frying and now this shit... getting over it and quick. miss my fucking 97 tbird atleast the damn thing ran no matter what

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
i swapped tunes many times, had the car on rollers and i've never had it run this rough, this is beyond a little rough.

Without codes or abnormal engine data it's pretty tough to even hypothesize what "could" be wrong or where/what could be the cause of the problem. There's been some pretty standard suggestions "clean MAF/TB" and check the datalog for anything that may stand out. Just because the car may be setting a new threshold for what you consider to be running rough, doesn't mean that it isn't just learning how to run again. Hell just the weather could be enough to throw off the baseline in closed loop. Depending on how modified, the worse it could be. Until it pops out some codes, I'd just give it the chance to learn. Now if you take it out and do some WOT pulls and it runs like shit, then I would be concerned. Something would have to change fairly significantly to throw off open loop.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back