Car Shaking...Next Steps

Discussion in '2005+ Mustang GT 4.6L Tech' started by nf1del, Aug 21, 2019.

1. nf1del

nf1del Junior Member

I've got a 4.6 2007 with 73K miles. The past 5,000 miles or so I've been trying to get an issue with my car shaking resolved. So far, I've replaced the rotors and pads all around, replaced the tie rods, got new tires, and replaced front lower control arms with the upgraded GT500s. The handling is more responsive but the car shaking is still there.

Top rated suspension shop in the area couldn't find anything else wrong. One thing I've got to mention is the front tow was off on my front tires wheels today even though the suspension shop did an alignment just on Monday when they did the control arms and tie rods. I don't know if they just didn't do it correctly or if something went off.

Anyways, can y'all give me some pointers for what to look at next? I'd like to actually do some fun mods on this car but not until I can get things smoothed out. Thanks!![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. RED09GT

RED09GT Senior Member S197 Team Member

Is the whole car shaking or is it worse through the steering wheel?
    Any change when coasting vs under power?

3. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator S197 Team Member

have the wheels themselves been checked? maybe one got bent when you did not realize?

4. nf1del

nf1del Junior Member

No change from coasting vs under power. The side to side play from the steering wheel is there but is pretty consistent with how the car feels overall. It's not drastic, just not a smooth ride.

I never had the wheels checked themselves without the tires.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2019
  5. stkjock

stkjock ---- Madmin ---- Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator S197 Team Member

you don't need the tires off, you could see a wobble on a balance machine easily, happened to me with my 06GT years ago.

6. nf1del

nf1del Junior Member

Ok. I've had the tires rebalanced a few times hoping the issue lied in there, but they've never mentioned a bad wheel. Just got new tires yesterday and they said they didn't see any issues and it balanced fine.

7. stkjock

well they would likely have noticed a wheel issue

8. eighty6gt

eighty6gt forum member

I had my 08 up on a lift at ford as they were trying in vain about 10 times to fix the diff. They never did, but I was able to see how badly the wheels were running out laterally, it was like 1/2"! No wonder the car feels like an old school bus.

9. cavero

cavero forum member

Try rotating the tires and see if the vibration changes?

10. jewc75

jewc75 Cant Stop, Wont Stop

Factory wheels or aftermarket?

11. Pentalab

Pentalab forum member

I have had a vibration for 8 months now, around 900-1100 rpm. Turns out it's the damned rear view mirror....go figure.

12. nf1del

nf1del Junior Member

Aftermarket from AmericanMuscle
    [​IMG]

Rotate every oil change. Nothing has really changed with that.

You can feel it in the seats and see the shake in my arm with the steering wheel. Unless the rear view is load bearing, I don't think that will be my issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2019
  13. jewc75

Did you leave the rotor retaining clips off when you did the rotors?

dark steed likes this.
  14. Mackitude

Mackitude Junior Member

Assuming you don't have a staggered setup, I agree about trying the rotation. I had a similar issue with my stock wheels, and it took me going to a third alignment/balance shop to find the slightly bent wheel. I kept it on the rear and problem solved

15. nf1del

nf1del Junior Member

I was able to reuse the retaining clips for all 4.

16. MasterofDisaster

MasterofDisaster Junior Member

The shop manual http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=47 has a good chapter on noise, vibration, and harshness. The foxbody manual had an old trick of putting a large hose clamp around the driveshaft. Drive it, rotate the position of the clamp, drive it, etc. If the clamp consistently makes the vibration worse, you know the problem is not in the driveshaft. If the clamp makes the vibration better, you've located the problem.

17. nf1del

nf1del Junior Member

Thanks for all the input. I'll dig into the shop manual and try that out. Cruising around during lunch, I did notice it's more prevalent at higher speeds. It doesn't taper off like I've seen before with tire balancing issues.

18. jewc75

Take them off and i bet your vibration goes away. Most aftermarket wheels do not have provisions for the clips.

dark steed, Pentalab and nf1del like this.
  19. stkjock

X2

dark steed, Pentalab and nf1del like this.
  20. nf1del

nf1del Junior Member

Easy enough to try. Thanks guys.