car stalls when raising windows?? WTF??

race4food

forum member
Reaction score
I was driving on the interstate at a constant speed when I raised both windows at the same time.
I just happened to hit them again after they were already fully closed and when I did the car basically nosed over and lost power.

it will do this every time I hit both switches together. Are these cars that sensitive to power fluctuations??

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
uhhhh.... no. something isnt right there

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
uhhhh.... no. something isnt right there

besides it not being 2011 tech?

:poke:

OP - I've notice (in near every car I have owned) if you hold down the power window switches when the windows are fully up or down that it drains some power away. I'd suggest checking your alternator if it has that much an effect in yours.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
definitely sounds like the alternator is dying. when you try and put power to the windows, it is taking it away from somewhere else. possibly the ECU

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
+2 on possible alternator problem, check the voltmeter when you do this and see if it drops off.

Also, have you tapped off any circuits for aftermarket devices recently?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen to me. When I would make sure both windows were closed, while on the freeway, the car would hiccup every time I hit both power windows. 1 week later I had to replace the alternator.

BSell

forum member
Reaction score
I'll be the contrary vote for checking the engine to chassis grounds. Pulling a bunch of amps by trying to shut two closed windows together could overwhelm a marginal ground between the engine and chassis.

This should be a cheap and easy check before laying out the cash for a new electricity maker.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back