Car wont start after gauge pillar install

Insaneba

Reaction score
Ok, here goes. I worked my butt off all weekend installing a dual gauge pillar and shift light. The gauges are a boost gauge, simple enough, and an Innovate digital AFR gauge, as well as a raptor shift light. The only connections I disturbed on the actual car are where I tied into the back of the headlight switch for the gauge lights, on cylinder #4 coil driver wire (the green one) for the raptor, I put the ground for all of them on top of the factory ground on the dr side kick panel near the hood (pop) lever, and I used a tapa-circuit in the SJB on fuse #4 to get switched power. Something in this job has angered my car, and now it will not fire at all. It will crank to no end, but not even hint at starting. The odometer is all dashes, no mileage displayed, which I'm reading means something has tripped the PATS system? I uploaded a picture of my cluster, and the lights that are on when the key is on. Any help would be amazingly appreciated, I just want to drive my car lol...

20180722_210422 (1).jpg

Insaneba

Reaction score
I should also add that I reversed all ov my connections, and nothing changed. I also had the battery charger on it while working, on 2 amp charge, to keep the battery up since having interior lights and such on. But the battery was at 12.1v last time I checked it while testing for issues.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
All Dashes in the ODO happens when you are flashing the PCM. Handheld or stock IDS flash. So, the only thing I can think of is your PCM somehow thinks it is in programming mode. Double check all your grounds. A lose ground to the PCM will cause all kind of crazy sh!t.

First, I would undo/disconnect anything you added. If you still have the dashes on the ODO, and if you have a tuner, I would try to either return to stock or reflash your custom tune.

Insaneba

Reaction score
I just got it back from the dyno tuner last week, but it has been perfect until this. What could I have done to send it into this mode? I did have the key on and off several times, setting up the shift light, and calibrating the Innovate data logger/02 sensor. Could that

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I just got it back from the dyno tuner last week, but it has been perfect until this. What could I have done to send it into this mode? I did have the key on and off several times, setting up the shift light, and calibrating the Innovate data logger/02 sensor. Could that

I can't say what could have caused it, but the only time I see the dashes is while flashing the PCM. Have you tried reading codes with the handheld?

I had a lose ground wire (near the left headlight) caused all kinds of weird issues with mine when I got the swap done.

Insaneba

Reaction score
I did plug the SCT in, and it showed 2 codes. At the risk of sounding stupid, I did not write them down. I have racked my brain trying to remember if I un hooked anything, or moved anything, and have been looking like crazy. But the only ground I messed with is the one in the lh kick panel, where I grounded the Innovate to. So frustrating...

Insaneba

Reaction score
I guess the million dollar question here is, how do I get it out of program mode? I hate to mess with the tunes, as the one in it cost me dearly lol. Does it have to go back to the stealership,or can it be done from home?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I guess the million dollar question here is, how do I get it out of program mode? I hate to mess with the tunes, as the one in it cost me dearly lol. Does it have to go back to the stealership,or can it be done from home?

First: Read the codes again and write them down. Post it.

To recover your PCM, you need to reflash the tune. Your SCT has your custom tune on it. I would try to "program vehicle" and select that tune, and re-flash it.

Insaneba

Reaction score
Awesome, I will give that a shot tonight when I get home. Thanks, I'll post my findings. Love these cars, hate their electrical systems lol.

Insaneba

Reaction score
Ok guys, I figured it out last night at around 10:30 lol. Blown PCM delay fuse smh. I just started from the sjb and worked my way out, checking every fuse with the test light. I'm happy and angry at the same time, but at any rate, it's alive again! So I'll re-connect everything tonight, and call it done. Thanks again for all of the advice. you guys really stepped up to the plate!

20180723_225822.jpg

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I was going to ask you to check that this morning but had to jump on a job here at work as soon as I got here. F40 15A correct? You may wish to recheck your gauge connections old "SBZ cohort in crime". If you have tapped into this source you need to find another avenue for 12v. Unless of course you remember something you disconnected that may have caused the fuse to blow due to arcing to ground somewhere.

Out of curiosity when you tapped into COP 4 for the raptor light did you tap into the dark gray/ violet stripe wire of the red wire? If you tapped into the red wire that is before the COP load and is supplied directly from F40 fuse. You may wish to revisit the directions on the raptor light. You may need to be on teh darkgray/violet wire if not already.

Insaneba

Reaction score
Hey you! I actually pulled power from a 5 amp fuse #14 in the sjb, it was for the a/c cycle switch. As for the ignition coil signal, it's the green wire right at the plug to the cop, where I tapped into for tach signal. I'm going to re connect everything this evening, then re attach the battery terminals, and see what happens. If it acts stupid again, at least I know which fuse to go for lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back