car won't start

shelbyeuropa

Reaction score
I recently purchased an 07 convertible with v6 manual.
Because they use lot's of salt on the roads here I don't drive it for the winter.
For the insurance I had to get an anti theft system installed, no issues after that.
Now the temperatures start to go up I wanted to take if for a ride, battery dead.
I jumpstarted the car, it started first time and drove the car for about 15 min no issues.
After I parked the car I tried to re-start, no cranking.
So I went to the Ford dealer to get a new (same amperage etc) one but still the car does not start.
When I turn on the lights on and try to start the lights don't go any weaker so that tells me the battery is fully charged.
I checked all the fuses, ok.
I took the start block system out (the people from the alarm told me how to do this), no start.
Everything else seemed to work fine untill I pulled all fuses (both engine comp and pass side) to check them, no burnt fuses.
Now the windows son't go up anymore and the car still doesn't start.
I checked proper ground etc, all ok.

Not sure what to do anymore, the issue is that the Ford dealers don't have any clue about US cars so I don't have to bring it over there.

Any suggestions???

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was thinking alternator, but it would not start with a brand new battery? If the windows are not going up at all they're not getting enough power, I think the motor needs a minimum of 9v to operate. May want to try a different battery and once you start it, check the alternator.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Try to jump it again. And it if runs fine with the other car hooked up. Mya be alternator.

Also check out the fuel pump tsb.

Broke :(
Reaction score
Does your gauge cluster say anything when you first turn it on or does it give you an odometer error?

NickSezz

NJSEOS
Reaction score
Maybe an animal Chewed a wire or two while sitting...or there may be a loose ground.

shelbyeuropa

Reaction score
Maybe an animal Chewed a wire or two while sitting...or there may be a loose ground.

This is very unusual to happen where I live, besides that the car has been parked inside.
As far as loose grounds I measured this and it seems to be ok.

NickSezz

NJSEOS
Reaction score
I have only heard of this rarely, but you may want to check the starter switch in the steering wheel column. They can get burnt causing poor contact to complete the starter circuit. I can't think of anything else that is simple.

Last edited:

suleman09

Sully's Stang10
Reaction score
^^agreed

you checked to make sure the wires were properly grounded and the positive is has good connection too. did you check though if the wires themselves have blown?
check the battery cables

shelbyeuropa

Reaction score
Well the good news is that I got the windows working again, a relay was not 100% in it's socket.
The other good news is that I can start it by hot wiring the starter under the bonnet.
Why it does not start with the key I'm not sure yet.
I'm having the people that build the alarm into the car have a look at it because it all started there.

Maybe it is the starter switch, I don't get any current to the starter relay when I try to start it.
Or maybe it is the foot switch of the clutch, I have checked the bottom one ok.
Not sure if the top one is having anything to do with the starter circuit??

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
One of the two switches on the pedals (brake pedal, at least) is just used when starting the vehicle.
If the problems began when the alarm was installed, they didnt install it properly for you!

shelbyeuropa

Reaction score
One of the two switches on the pedals (brake pedal, at least) is just used when starting the vehicle.
If the problems began when the alarm was installed, they didnt install it properly for you!

That's my initial thought of it as well but the strange thing is that it worked for 2 nonths without any issues. As far as the brake switch, it's a 5 speed so I only need to use the clutch pedal.

Boy

forum member
Reaction score
Im not a car junkie or anywhere close to being one, but is it possible that this might happen if the sensor in the key isn't working properly?

dalemllns

SLOMOD
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^that would be true if he couldnt "hot" wire it by sending power to the starter under the hood instead of using the switch, so I feel OP that you alarm got "fried" when you jumped the car from a rush of power, these cars drain a battery if not cranked for a long period as the ECM and other modules continue to draw power, its in your alarm system......

Lone Ranger

Reaction score
Dude, There is a switch behind the clutch peddle that must engage before the engine will crank. Reach down and press the button with your finger and see if it cranks. It happened to me and I found that the button was not getting depressed when I pressed the peddle. I put a rubber grommet on the nub built onto the peddle arm and it fixed the problem. I don't know why this happened or if something fell off that I swept up when cleaning out the car, but that was my problem.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back