Carputer Project

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I am just about ready to tackle this - I am thinking of gutting the following UMPC for use as an in-dash carputer:

http://www.umpcportal.com/products/product.php?id=97

That's not the exact model, I am planning on purchasing, but close enough - 800MHz A110 processor, 1024x600 touchscreen 1G ram 60G HDD are the critical specs...

My plan is to tear it apart and mount the screen in a bezel in place of the dual -din radio. My primary function for this thing isn't "multi-media", but data logging and tuning - thus the need for higher resolution... I don't like having a laptop flopping around in the car during races...

Comments, suggestions, warnings welcome - I'll post pictures as I make progress/decisions...

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am a follower as well.. I dig this shit for the same reason.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm very curious about this project. Keep us posted.
Will do... Like I said, I am trying to get a setup that allows me to log at the track without the laptop flopping around...

Eventually, I would like to go hog wild with data collection and look at rpm vs. shaft speeds vs. wheel speed vs. boost vs. clutch position, etc... (mmmm, data:drool:) but that is a problem for later - first I just want basic data logging with a touchscreen interface and no !@#$ing wires...

I think you could fit an 8" screen in there without too much trouble, but I can't find one for any reasonable amount of money - this brick gives me all the bits I need in one place (almost - still need a DC-DC converter for the power supply).

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Update:

Well, I went to look at the Q1 Ultra and tried it out WRT to brightness... You cannot really use it in direct sunlight (though any shade at all is sufficient), but at high noon without a cloud in the sky inside the car it is very bright - looks nice...

So, I don't think it would work for convertibles with the top down - though I did not try, but for a coupe it is more than adequate brightness...

Vista has a nice basic UI in Oragami for the car - big buttons, no nonsense application navigation. Even have a built in Mapping/Navigation app (you still need a GPS sensor), but I already have one... I am sure there are "better" UI's out there for car setups, but for out of the box it will do just fine...

So, given that resolution is a key factor for me (1024x600) given the intended purpose (data logging, track-side analysis and tunning) I think this is the best compromise... You can get this for $750 @ amazon, but given that it is standalone computer - for that you get the computer,the OS, the hard drive, the screen, the driver for the screen, etc...

A lower res screen is $200-300 by itself, then you need a computer, hard drive, etc... There are pre-whacked drop in kits out there, but I have some "special needs" that I have not found addressed in any of those kits... They will catch up - but I am really tired fo my floppy big laptop in the car - I am not willing to wait...

So, now I need a DC-DC supply to replace the AC-DC brick they give you. I might already have something in the basement that will do that...

I realized the other day with such a setup, I would not need to deal with "auto-off" at all - which can be an annoying part of carputers - shutting down gracefully. All you do is set it (in windows power management) to power down 1 minute after the plug gets pulled - it runs off the internal battery for that minute and shutsdown automatically....

I think I am sold - now to deal with the bezel...

Last edited:

nmeofdst82

STY RMY
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've spent an unreal amount of time researching and setting up my own and never ran across a setup like your going to do...

I think it is a great idea. Looking forward to the install pics. Sounds like a nice solution.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've spent an unreal amount of time researching and setting up my own and never ran across a setup like your going to do...

I think it is a great idea. Looking forward to the install pics. Sounds like a nice solution.
Yeah, I had about given up and was looking at mounting a touchscreen outside the console as the next option when I saw the UMPC's had come out with stuff like this. The external screen has the pro of being as big as you like, but I really like the idea of everything stuffed into the dash...

I am almost sad I have to crack this thing open, it would be really nifty to build a console around it and keep it as a standalone brick - its a pretty cool little thing. It has a blackberry style keyboard split on to the right and left sides. In its case it would fit between the two pillars of the console, but it is wide enough that it would have to go up at the top where the 6 buttons (TCS, emergency blinker, etc...) are...

That and you'd have to come up with a latching system to hold it in...

To go full out, you still need an external audio setup (though I have not checked the sound quality - I am assuming its a so-so integrated sound card), amp and DVD drive... I am torn on the DVD drive - I won't need it but once in a blue moon, so I was thinking, I'd just make a USB port accessible in the arm rest portion of the console. I can literally log into my Wifi network from the garage and move files - so there is very little need for discs at all...

nmeofdst82

STY RMY
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the DVD is a waste...

I have a 120GB HDD on mine with about 4Gb of MP3s, 8.5GBs of Music Videos, and about 60GBs of MP4/Divx Movies (about 50 of them). You will never need the DVD drive. The slimline ones are pretty uneconomical, subject to high failure rate and a PITA to mount/use unless you make a custom dash insert. Don't bother.

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a carputer since two years here is some remark.

- Yeah touchscreen LCD are hard to use in sunlight because of the touch, they are less bright than a regular lcd, you can have some transreflective screen that are much better usable in sun, but when you see the price you'll become like a vampire : dislike the sun http://store.mp3car.com/New_7_Transflective_LED_Backlit_Sunlight_Readab_p/mon-052.htm

-DVD, like nmeofdst82 said. waste of money. PC dvd drive are not made for car environment. Pure nightmare for them. peharps in a rolls royce but not in a sport car.

- OS, i don't think vista is a good idea. The os must be fast, very light. because carputer are usually slower than your desktop one, much slower. Just because you don't want to put a 3ghz cpu that take all your power, and more than that : with fan that makes more noise than your engine (don't laugh i've made some test, you can't imagine the noise of a pc in the back of a car). and and and that don't support to run in a close environment that could be in sun and fries at 70°.

-Data acquisition. I have an odb2 interface (elmscan) with software called pcmscan. http://www.palmerperformance.com/ very cool soft, with big button and skinable so it can be used with a touch screen. but but. data rate is around 5 sample or less per second. Not very usefull on a drag race because you miss all the peak or exact shift rpm because of the lag.
This year i need to try a usb cable plugged on to my sct to see if i can get better result.

if you need more info. don't hesitate. i don't know anything about engine and mechanics. but at least pc it's ok.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
but when you see the price you'll become like a vampire : dislike the sun http://store.mp3car.com/New_7_Transflective_LED_Backlit_Sunlight_Readab_p/mon-052.htm
LOL I am already a vampire - I am flirting with death each time I drive the Vert:samuri:My complexion and Beaker's aren't far off...

I looked at larger screens, ,touch screens and transreflective screens - Didn't want to completely re-work the dash - so ideally an 8" diagonal screen, but 800x480 won't cut it... There are even some apps that I am wondering about at 1024x600 that might crap out assuming 1024x768 - going to check them out ASAP...

If I were going larger than 8" diagonal, I'd do the full on knight rider thing with as big a screen as I could stuff in the console, but then I'd lose my A/C buttons - wasn't ready for that big of a project yet... It would require some programming to replace the A/C knobs with a software app and Data I/O port... doable, but a big project and I want to banish the laptop NOW...

I think my only concern at this point is heat - not a big deal in MA most of the time, this thing's fan is virtually silent, but how effective it will be stuffed into the console atop the trans tunnel radiating exhaust heat which has no where to go but up and trapped in said tunnel...

- OS, i don't think vista is a good idea. The os must be fast, very light.
I was a little concerned about that until I saw this thing in action... Provided you don't try and use it like a desktop it seems fine. I have read that it really gets happy when you add a 1G DIMM to it (it comes with 1G - so 2G total...)

So far no complaints about speed... I am typing on it now actually...

speech recognition is another interesting idea - I had not thought about that before. I am trying it now for commands that get annoying with a touch screen like scrolling... so far so good, we will see what it thinks about doing that in a rumbling car...

As far as data, I have the SCT and wideband command grabbing data - going to test that out a little later to make sure it works before I start ripping this thing out of its case...

Enitalp

The lost guy.
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Forget about speech.

TADA :

4151300.jpg

Here is the space navigator. Ok it's blue, so it's more good looking in mine. but imagine this on your center console.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq6e4PgndIo&feature=related

the driver can allow you to "plug" each movement to shortcut for every application.

kleistang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
im doing something similiar. but i used a laptopmotherboard. so i didnt have to get a car puter powersupply. and i have a 7" touch screen and it would replace the stock radio.. i still havent finished yet. since i have been doing performance things.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mike you haven't posted in here in almost a year. Any updates? Did you do this? If so please post pictures.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
no shit.... my wires are still hanging... next update please.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
no shit.... my wires are still hanging... next update please.
Hey, sorry guys - things got crazy last year as you might have noticed...

Catching up (slowly), should have some good progress in the next few weeks - perhaps even some this week...

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I very seriously considered doing a car-puter a couple of years back simply for the data logging possibilities. Throw the SCT software and WBC software on it and leave the laptop at the house. Just never got around to convincing myself it was worth the time, effort, and money to replace the perfectly good existing $1500+ I had already spent on a head unit, satellite, and GPS.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was gonig to do one as well but i change my mind and now this i feel is a better idea for some...

Get a pioneer Avic F series In dash nav unit. It runs windows in the background. you can boot into windows and do whatever you want. Ive highly modified mine including nav pics, menu system, gps display, ect. for $600 bucks you cant go wrong. Also got 80GB ipod hooked up to it for movies and music, and it has a built in SD card readeras well

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was gonig to do one as well but i change my mind and now this i feel is a better idea for some...

Get a pioneer Avic F series In dash nav unit. It runs windows in the background. you can boot into windows and do whatever you want. Ive highly modified mine including nav pics, menu system, gps display, ect. for $600 bucks you cant go wrong. Also got 80GB ipod hooked up to it for movies and music, and it has a built in SD card readeras well

I've been checking out the AVIC-F series, I've been liking what I've seen so far but not sure I want to swap out the AVIC-D1 I got right now.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back