Caveat Emptor.... Livernois Heads (Pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
like I previously said in this very thread, every Mustang owner has a dog in this fit. The best consumer protection is when we look out for each other. Do you think big companies will especially if we never speak up?
I agree 100%

I shudder to think of how business went before the advent of internets. I know personally, if it couldn't be done locally, I didn't do it. I'd order parts from mail order catalogs and such, but stuff like engine work was strictly face-to-face. In a way, this market/economy is still evolving. The way we handle things may seem harsh at first, but it's reality. It's so easy to post experiences online.... I try and remember to always post the "good" as well.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

markag

Reaction score
Way to jump on the bandwagon there, :newbie:

You don't have a dog in this fight.

I've been a member of another mustang enthusiast forum for many years now. I just bought my 2008 mustang GT a month ago. As a mustang enthusiast and someone who has had a mod wish list running for several years before I even purchased my car, I feel that I do have a dog in this fight. When I look at making a purchase, I research extensively before I buy. I like to rely on the experience of other enthusiasts to help steer me in the right direction or to turn me away from problems. As much as I commend livernois for taking steps to make the OP's problem right, it makes me nervous as a potential future customer because I would want to go with something that isn't going to give me problems in the first place. All I'm saying is that if I were to be in the market for heads right now, I would most likely avoid livernois because of the fear of getting a bad set of heads. Maybe that will change in the future, but as of now, that is how I feel.

Last edited:

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Way to jump on the bandwagon there, :newbie:

You don't have a dog in this fight.

As a Vendor, I would be more concerned about keeping the noobs,,, they are the only ones that will buy the product as everyone else will have been skooled...

define NEWBIE.. we don't know his background either. Not bashin here, just observation.

I won't buy the heads for my build either.. not now. My dog will go somewhere else thank GAWD!

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had similar problems with my Liverniois St. 3 heads with 1500 miles on them. I did race them and had 21 psi and 7000 rpm on them. When we removed the 302 and installed the 326 I had them inspected locally. All the exhaust guides were junk and some of the intake were junk. I did a lot of reading on bronze guides and made some phone calls. I sent them to Fox Lake and had them rebuilt. Knock on wood but they are going strong right now but it only has about 500 miles on it and no boost. Livernois contacted me after I posted this a couple years ago when we found the issue but never offered to even repair them. I chaulked it up to racing and had them fixed elsewhere.

I still like Livernois and would do business with them again if I need to. Glad to see they made it right with Tre.

Last edited:

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
I have seen the ports myself saying they are anything but wrong is either an act of self delusion or boarder line criminal.

If this is an isolated instance than the smart thing would have been to fix it fast and avoid all the bad press.

Back@itagain

forum member
Reaction score
Back@itagain, any progress on them getting your “too wide” ports solved?

I wish I could say yes but not a peep from Livernois. Maybe legal counsel told them to shut up or they are hoping this will just go away...too many questions and not enough answers.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
they are hoping this will just go away...too many questions and not enough answers.

Not possible. I will be tracking this until it is resolved and I will point every person I know to this thread who is interested in these heads until Livernois starts handling things right. Maybe someone should point Ford in this direction. And this won't be limited to one forum...it already is in multiple. I can't imagine the financial burden someone must go through if they don't do the work themselves. Heads aren't cheap. Heads aren't cheap to get installed. And they are extra expensive when you have to eat the cost of jacked up heads, jacked up block, new heads, labor....buullllllsh1t.

Last edited:

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
How goes progress?

I talked to Derek at L&R Friday afternoon. The heads arrived. Because of the time they got there he is not going to start to go through them until Monday. Which is fine with me. He is going to go through those heads with a fine tooth comb!

After all the feedback Ive gotten from this thread I am still nervous about these heads. Dont get me wrong, I appreciate Livernois stepping up to THEIR CASTING MISTAKE. But Im worried that they just sent me a band aid. If he finds anything that he is not comfortable with, ie port size, I will suck it up and go with a set of JPC RGR's (which I should have done in the first place)

I have too much time and money invested with these heads (purchased in 08; two head failures; one that cost me a piston, and the second that contributed to a motor failure), I have a new big bore motor (thanks in part to the head failure), Im just hoping that the plan all comes together and I can get this big bore stroker with 25 psi down the track with no more issues.

Last edited:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll be waiting for that day. Good luck brother, hopefully these heads will be right.

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
Update: Derck from L and R engines received the heads from Livernois last friday (10 Feb). He spent this week doing a thorough inspection. The heads were completely disassembled. Everything was checked, measured, mic'd, etc.

On a side note I was told by Mike that I had a phaser with a spring pin out of it and the phaser was bad. He (Mike) said he would mark it, so Derek could see it.

Anyway, Derek said the heads looked good. BUT he felt that the GUIDES (iron) were not clearenced (too tight) enough, so he reamed them out. He did place them in his C and C machine and all ports matched and he was of the opinion that everything else looked good.

Back to the phaser: Derek saw the phaser that Livernois marked and he said that he (Derek) doesnt recall the phaser leaving his shop in that condition. He said he could fix the problem but with the amount of boost im running he recomends that I replace them. So I will. Not blaming Livernois on the broken phaser (well maybe a little) but maybe it happened during shipping...... But a phaser problem was never on the radar.

So, the shortblock will be completed in a few more days and off to Phoenix to get tuned.

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front, for you civilain types): I am glad that I posted this thread because this was the only way to get stuff solved. I will never do business with Livernois again. I appreciate them replacing the heads (Im on set 2), but their customer service, backing their product, is horrible. If you have a Livernois product and have an issue and you speak to Dave Ameduri you better have your ducks in a row. And its unfortunate that good people like Mike get caught up in it.

To Mike@Livernois: I apperciate your help! Thanks for your honesty, and for overseeing my situation. You need to spread some of your dedication to the customer to your co-workers, cause they are going to be the down fall of your company. IF I had it to do all over again I would have chosen a diferent comapny to buy ported heads from. (foxlake, JPC, etc)

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Update: Derck from L and R engines received the heads from Livernois last friday (10 Feb). He spent this week doing a thorough inspection. The heads were completely disassembled. Everything was checked, measured, mic'd, etc.

On a side note I was told by Mike that I had a phaser with a spring pin out of it and the phaser was bad. He (Mike) said he would mark it, so Derek could see it.

Anyway, Derek said the heads looked good. BUT he felt that the GUIDES (iron) were not clearenced (too tight) enough, so he reamed them out. He did place them in his C and C machine and all ports matched and he was of the opinion that everything else looked good.

Back to the phaser: Derek saw the phaser that Livernois marked and he said that he (Derek) doesnt recall the phaser leaving his shop in that condition. He said he could fix the problem but with the amount of boost im running he recomends that I replace them. So I will. Not blaming Livernois on the broken phaser (well maybe a little) but maybe it happened during shipping...... But a phaser problem was never on the radar.

So, the shortblock will be completed in a few more days and off to Phoenix to get tuned.

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front, for you civilain types): I am glad that I posted this thread because this was the only way to get stuff solved. I will never do business with Livernois again. I appreciate them replacing the heads (Im on set 2), but their customer service, backing their product, is horrible. If you have a Livernois product and have an issue and you speak to Dave Ameduri you better have your ducks in a row. And its unfortunate that good people like Mike get caught up in it.

To Mike@Livernois: I apperciate your help! Thanks for your honesty, and for overseeing my situation. You need to spread some of your dedication to the customer to your co-workers, cause they are going to be the down fall of your company. IF I had it to do all over again I would have chosen a diferent comapny to buy ported heads from. (foxlake, JPC, etc)

How wide are the intake ports? Are they as wide as the ones Back@itagain posted pics of?

Back@itagain

forum member
Reaction score
How wide are the intake ports? Are they as wide as the ones Back@itagain posted pics of?

Hahaha....probably not! I was provided an entirely new set of events that allegedly transpired with my heads. I'll shed some light on these new suspicious claims as soon as I get done bolting my defective FRPP/Whipple manifold, at least that's according to Livernois who sold me the manifold, down to the obviously problematic Livernois cylinder heads.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well now that the head issue seems to be settled, I'm waiting to see what kind of times you make with that car once you have it on the track.

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score

That's what I want to know - on the replacements, how are your intake O-Ring vs. head port alignments? *IE will you have bulging / pinched / exposed O-rings at the edge of your head ports?

You would think Livernois would port so as to match all the popular intakes - KB, Whipple, Roush, FRPP, C&L, etc.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's what I want to know - on the replacements, how are your intake O-Ring vs. head port alignments? *IE will you have bulging / pinched / exposed O-rings at the edge of your head ports?

You would think Livernois would port so as to match all the popular intakes - KB, Whipple, Roush, FRPP, C&L, etc.

There are to many casting changes in the intakes. Kenne Bell can cast 100 of them and there could be differences between all of them. There are to many variables between all the manufactures and that is the reason they made their port program around the stock intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back