Chasing Superchager Belt Issues/Engine Knock/Clutch problems

GT500KR

forum member
Reaction score
ok here it goes. got a 2008 GT with a DOB S/C kit on her. having issues from day one with breaking belts...etc... but that was an issue with not having the tensioner setup right. thats the least of my issues.
got a knocking sound coming from the motor right now... well i say its coming from the new clutch i had installed recently but my transmission guy says no. so regarless im gonna pull the s/c and send it off and the tensioner to get inspected/fixed and then do a compression test and check the oil after drainging and see if i find any major problems before i pull the trans.

my question with the trans is ive done plenty of work on v8 s10s and fox bodys and such. anything tricky about pulling a trans on a s197??
pretty sure something broke on the clutch... and it gets louder right after you turn the key off.

heres some pics of where im at now...

start off with... after it sitting in storage till i could have time and room to work on it i took it out for a casual drive to get my bearing on what the car was or wasnt doing... this after i trailered it down to my trans guy the 2nd time... 3 hours away. got 3-4 miles away to a stop sign and heard a terrible noise... got out and found this

the newer idler was coming off the bearing and into my S/C alt bracket...

great!!! called my bro to bring my truck and trailer down

so after getting her home she sat on the trailer for 2 weeks

then when i got time and room in the garage i gave her a wash

then i put the lower side scoops on

so then i replaced the failed idler with a metco one

everything seemed fine. thought id take her into town and get oil and a compression tester for her to help diagnose the knock noise before i pull the trans to inspect the clutch...

i no sooner get into the autozone parking lot and hear some bad noises under the hood and see my S/C pulley rolling down the parking lot! :(

dunno how it did it but the belt stayed on the blower shaft

heres some before pics of the belt misalignment before the trip to autozone. think the blower moved on me? i dunno. gotta investigate more.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
When I had my M90, I once had the pulley walk almost off the supercharger snout.
It shredded the belt before the pulley could come off completely. Never the less, throwing the belt cost over $2,000 in damage.

The culprit was a incorrectly machined pulley.

Sounds to me like your pulley/hub was incorrectly machined and walked off the snout.

Why are you running a DOB intake manifold and associated hardware?
Would have been easier and trouble free to go with a speced supercharger kit for the 4.6L; like a ROUSH M90 or TVS, Whipple, or KB.

BTW, the transmission is the easiest you'll ever work on. :)
Just make sure to disconnect the remote shifter and hydraulic line.

Last edited:

tbar

Reaction score
Wow, something is definitely way out of alignment there.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The only trick to pulling the transmission is getting the ears to clear the tunnel. You can clock the transmission or lower the k member to get around it.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Sounds to me like your pulley/hub was incorrectly machined and walked off the snout.

I can guarantee the problem he is having has nothing to do with machining of any Department Of Boost part.

Why are you running a DOB intake manifold and associated hardware?
Would have been easier and trouble free to go with a speced supercharger kit for the 4.6L; like a ROUSH M90 or TVS, Whipple, or KB.
Maybe he doesn't have big bags of money like you do to pay a shop(s) to put 600hp setups together for him? Not all of us, in fact most of us have to pinch every pennys and do all of the labor ourselves

Additionally you don't know if any of the other kits are easier. What kits have you installed?

Up to this point he has not had any trouble with any Department Of Boost product or customer service. Or at least I don't think he has. And if he is not 100% happy I would hope he would get in touch with me ASAP so we can figure out what we need to do.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Not attacking DOB...didn't know that was your product.

But I do predict there may be something wrong with the supercharger pulley if it was installed correctly or possibly the snout is at fault? The hub should not walk off the snout.

From the last picture, seems like the pulley/hub was not pressed in all the way. Seeing how its forward of the alternator and idler plane.

I am personally familiar with the ROUSH supercharger kits...both are very easy installs.
Again, I was just wondering why he went the route he did; I am not familiar with DOB.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Department Of Boost will do anything in its power to solve this pulley issue. I highly doubt that it has anything to do with the design, materials or assembly though.

There are a TON of these exact same systems out there having no trouble what so ever. And a few of these systems are out there being used well outside of their design parameters. The system was originally built to run at about 13,099rpm. But people have been pushing theirs to just under 20,000rpm!!!!! and having no trouble.

That of course doesn’t rule anything out. But when people are using the same system and spinning it just about 33% faster than it was supposed to go I’d bet my money elsewhere:hi:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about the knock sound his tranny guy says is coming from the motor. The DOB kit is good, but if the guy had a bad tune in it.....

I think scrochy backed off what the DOB could attain on his car, to be safe.

If it is a bad rod or crank bearing, motor has to come out to verify?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about the knock sound his tranny guy says is coming from the motor.
Sorry, I must cave missed the trans noise

That said I don’t see how a belt/pulley issue could cause a trans issue, or the other way around. The is a very distinct possibility hat there are two completely unrelated problems going on.

The DOB kit is good, but if the guy had a bad tune in it....

You are correct, the DOB kit is pretty much bullet proof. At the end of the day it’s a huge chunk of aluminum with no moving parts. Not much to go wrong there.

There is a possibility there was a tune issue, but unlikely. If it has a rod knock or something like that they usually just break…………..impressively, not half break.

I think scrochy backed off what the DOB could attain on his car, to be safe.

If it is a bad rod or crank bearing, motor has to come out to verify?
Takes about

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
got a knocking sound coming from the motor right now... well i say its coming from the new clutch i had installed recently but my transmission guy says no. so regarless im gonna pull the s/c and send it off and the tensioner to get inspected/fixed and then do a compression test and check the oil after drainging and see if i find any major problems before i pull the trans.http://s122.photobucket.com/user/lowdown4banger/media/IMG_20130705_195844_617_zps3ca5723e.jpg.html
http://s122.photobucket.com/user/lowdown4banger/media/IMG_20130630_180835_580_zpsad125bbc.jpg.html

Sorry to say that some guys solution to a suspect bad engine is to make it someone elses problem. Good luck op.

GT500KR

forum member
Reaction score
thanks for everyones input. im not down playing the DOB kit at all. i had money to go any way i wanted but picked DOB to be different and prove to the local "stock" GT500 guys i can make more power with their blower on a 3v 4.6.

DOB has been very helpful with the issues i have had. and from his website/forum i seem to be the only one with this issue...

now i do beat the HELL out of my car. i am love driving it and dont let it sit unless its winter time or raining out. maybe im punishing my car harder than what it was intended for??

either way i/we will get it figure out... first off i took the SC off and discovered i need to run a oil seperator/catch can!!

drained the oil and found no stipper glitter as the trans guy said i had a broken crank or rod/bearing...

no metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug!! big thumbs up!!
http://s122.photobucket.com/user/lowdown4banger/media/IMG_20130710_202548_635_zps2b964f77.jpg.html

so next up... compression test... bought a kit and nothing fits. i cant find the right adapter for my heads. i have the brown boots on the coils i believe the 16mm plugs? anyone lend a hand on this??

tonight im gonna pull the manifold. and then start pulling the trans...

i didnt look to hard but how do you disconnest the clutch hydraulic line? from trans side or firewall side? thanks guys

Last edited:

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Hydraulic line is on the driver's side of the bell housing. My new clutch came with a plug so it was super easy to pull off and plug without loosing too much fluid. As far as taking the tranny off, it isnt too hard. I found that cutting the tabs off the with a cutting wheel made installing it much easier as there isn't much room in the tunnel when you are trying to line up the shaft

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back