Check charging system?

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
Alright gurus help a guy out!

I keep getting a “check charging system” message and a battery light, it’s pops up every day then disappears. It’s usually on for only a min or two... I have no codes and with the message on or off I’m getting 13.7-13.9 volts while running... it’s been going on now for about a month and no running problems so far it’s just annoying to see it keep popping up.

Any ideas?
2006 GT

Thanks guys!

9002b9a05e4dd1dc490d692f7c5ab4e4.jpg

07 Boss

Reaction score
Diode in your alternator is going out. It’s intermittent now but the frequency will increase until it goes out at the most inconvenient moment in time.

Do yourself a favor and replace it now with a 2010 alternator. It will bolt right up and it is a better 3-phase unit than the single phase POS that came with our cars.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Diode in your alternator is going out. It’s intermittent now but the frequency will increase until it goes out at the most inconvenient moment in time.

Do yourself a favor and replace it now with a 2010 alternator. It will bolt right up and it is a better 3-phase unit than the single phase POS that came with our cars.
This

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks! I figured it is on its way out as it has increased its frequency lately...

Anyone know if the 2010 alternator will fit with a Whipple supercharger?

Also any recommendations on brand? Or Just pick up a 2010 from? Auto zone, Napa, Oriley, pep boys are all close...

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I figured it is on its way out as it has increased its frequency lately...

Anyone know if the 2010 alternator will fit with a Whipple supercharger?

Also any recommendations on brand? Or Just pick up a 2010 from? Auto zone, Napa, Oriley, pep boys are all close...
I believe the ear has to be clip off to fit a whipple with the denso. At least thats what I have read. Jason from DOB does with his. @ Adrewnagel has the DOB alt. iirk. I had that problem but turned out to be slightly lose connection after my air bag replacement.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
I believe the ear has to be clip off to fit a whipple with the denso. At least thats what I have read. Jason from DOB does with his. @ Adrewnagel has the DOB alt. iirk. I had that problem but turned out to be slightly lose connection after my air bag replacement.

Interesting I had my air bags done a couple months ago... what connection was loose?

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score

I do have @Department Of Boost ‘s and been happy with it, went through OEM and than PA’s and finally got it right with theirs I have a 2007 with a Paxton SC and I know As mentioned they have a version with the ears removed that works with a whipple

http://www.departmentofboost.com/products/2005_2010_mustang_gt/alternator_upgrade.htm

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score

All automotive alternators are three phase units, including the trouble prone Motorcraft 6G unit on the '05-'08 GT.
Totally agree that the '09-'10 Nippon Denso unit is a better replacement.

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
Grywll42 is selling an 2009 to 2010 alternator with the ears shaved at a great price....send him a message.

Lime1Gt

Reaction score
One of the first things I ask people when they have a problem with their vehicle is when it was last worked on and what was done. This way if work was done shortly before the problem I can look there first to see if it contributed to the new problem. Before you go spending money on an alternator (not disagreeing it may be bad), you say the air bag system was serviced recently, I think I would check the battery terminals for proper connection. Are the clamps clean? Are they tight? Try loosening them, twist the clamps a little left to right while still on the posts and re-tighten. How old is the battery? Maybe a bad cell? The voltage idling at battery should be 13.8-14.2V using a digital multi-meter. What does the battery read with engine not running?

Ebblue06

Reaction score
Mine just started about a year ago. Took it to the dealership and they said I needed to replace a harness to the tune of $1000. Other than that, the car runs just fine. No other issues. Do you think an alternator swap would cure this pain?

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Mine just started about a year ago. Took it to the dealership and they said I needed to replace a harness to the tune of $1000. Other than that, the car runs just fine. No other issues. Do you think an alternator swap would cure this pain?
Yes. Had the same issue with our 06 as well. You can connect a DVM set to A/C to check for ripple. I think something like 100mV is too much.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I measured the AC ripple on my 2010....using a fluke 87.... and it was 18-20 mv....at idle.
Battery voltage measured 12.5 vdc after sitting overnight. 14.475 vdc... at idle.

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
Well the alternator finally went out the other day, I started getting codes for camshaft sensors and fuel pumps being bad and shitty running. Once I started looking into those codes everywhere I read said it was a bad alternator diode sending funky signals back through the electrical system....swapped out a new alternator and she runs like a champ! Thought I’d post this in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Yup. It's the AC current leak into the main electrical system that sends the sensors haywire and triggers codes.

Back