Clean your drains!

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I took my 07 gt out to run some errands yesterday and was startled to hear water pouring onto the passenger dide floor. My parents took the car out a few days ago and moticed a drop or two but this was a lot more than a drop. In case you didnt know its been monsooning here in sunny southwest florida. Anyway every left turn I took more water would pour into the car. Once I got home I pulled up the carpet to find a swamp. I useda vacuum and a few towels to dry it up. Well I go out there today and look up from where it looked like the water was coming from but its bone dry so I did some googling and I found a tsb for a drain becoming clogged and would leak into the car. I know it had the fix done because the sjb has a piece of something over it to protect it from water intrusion. So I went under the hood to check the drain for the cowl panel by the battery. It was clogged so I stuck my finger in it to clean it and water started coming out. I pulled the rubber piece out all the way and out came a GALLON of water, I kid you not. I think I fixed the leak but remember everyone to check those drains!

I cant seem to upload pics on mobile, sorry.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You know this is a long known issue in these cars?

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Yes but Ive never had it before and I havent seen this issue pop up on here recently.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I pulled out those rubber flaps 4 months after I bought my '09 and threw them away. Easiest solution and permanent.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I remember when that happened to me. It spilled water on my wotbox also which eventually left me on the side of the road.

One google search and I was done. Now I just reach for it about every 40k miles and make sure its not caked up. I leave it in because IMO its a really quick maintenance thing.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Where does the water come in from? The ac filter? Thats the only part I saw that came into the car and the filter was wet. Now my interior smells worse than my dads spit cup lol.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
it is wash down from the cowl.

The HVAC system takes air from that area. when you drive air pressure builds up at the base of the windshield and gets pushed down the cowl to that area.

The grommet is to prevent taking hot engine air (and possible exhaust leaks when the car gets older) into the HVAC while allowing water to pass down when it rains.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
The grommet is to prevent taking hot engine air (and possible exhaust leaks when the car gets older) into the HVAC while allowing water to pass down when it rains.

How does a grommet prevent hot air from getting into the HVAC.?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
How does a grommet prevent hot air from getting into the HVAC.?

It's sort of like a one way flap. Air comes in the slots between the hood and windshield, rain water is supposed to drain out the bottom without allowing engine compartment air to get drawn in. Not worth the hassle, just throw away the grommets.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I took my 07 gt out to run some errands yesterday and was startled to hear water pouring onto the passenger dide floor. My parents took the car out a few days ago and moticed a drop or two but this was a lot more than a drop. In case you didnt know its been monsooning here in sunny southwest florida. Anyway every left turn I took more water would pour into the car. Once I got home I pulled up the carpet to find a swamp. I useda vacuum and a few towels to dry it up. Well I go out there today and look up from where it looked like the water was coming from but its bone dry so I did some googling and I found a tsb for a drain becoming clogged and would leak into the car. I know it had the fix done because the sjb has a piece of something over it to protect it from water intrusion. So I went under the hood to check the drain for the cowl panel by the battery. It was clogged so I stuck my finger in it to clean it and water started coming out. I pulled the rubber piece out all the way and out came a GALLON of water, I kid you not. I think I fixed the leak but remember everyone to check those drains!

I cant seem to upload pics on mobile, sorry.

Very common issue. I see many long term Electronics issues here at the dealership related to the moisture buildup on the Smart Junction Box. Simple maintenance turns into dollars worth of electrical repairs.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Very common issue. I see many long term Electronics issues here at the dealership related to the moisture buildup on the Smart Junction Box. Simple maintenance turns into dollars worth of electrical repairs.

I think my car had water in the sjb at one time. If it did then fords fix was a little cheesy. Theres this thin sheet of like pliable foam taped over it. I noticed that sometimes the amps will pop through the speakers while cranking the engine. Ive read thats one symptom of water intrusion.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I think my car had water in the sjb at one time. If it did then fords fix was a little cheesy. Theres this thin sheet of like pliable foam taped over it. I noticed that sometimes the amps will pop through the speakers while cranking the engine. Ive read thats one symptom of water intrusion.

Sounds like an odd repair. You can't cover it because it needs to be able to breathe

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like an odd repair. You can't cover it because it needs to be able to breathe

Its not completely covered but it like a dealer took a 4"x6" piece of whatever and wrapped it around the sjb vertically so its open on the sides. Its just really cheesy looking. I bought the car in august of '12, who knows what happened in the 5 years before I owned it. The previous owner did not take care of the drivers seat...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back