Clutch slave cylinder/release bearing question

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever had one stuck open so the clutch stays disengaged? I ask because I went to the track on Sunday and when I went to launch, the car didn't move. But I didn't hear anything break. I haven't pulled it apart yet, but I know at least the slave cylinder is bad because I have fluid leaking out from under the transmission. My clutch pedal has no pressure and either the clutch is disengaged or the input shaft or clutch is broken. The thing that makes me believe the clutch is disengaged is I think I would have felt/heard it if the input shaft or clutch broke.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I don't know if our cars have a similar problem but I know that C5 vettes can have problems when the brake fluid gets dirty. My bud's '01 vette was doing that before he flushed his fluid. After a few hard runs at the track the TOB would be slow to re-engage.

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
Anyone ever had one stuck open so the clutch stays disengaged? I ask because I went to the track on Sunday and when I went to launch, the car didn't move. But I didn't hear anything break. I haven't pulled it apart yet, but I know at least the slave cylinder is bad because I have fluid leaking out from under the transmission. My clutch pedal has no pressure and either the clutch is disengaged or the input shaft or clutch is broken. The thing that makes me believe the clutch is disengaged is I think I would have felt/heard it if the input shaft or clutch broke.

When my slave went out it did the same thing. Dumped fluid out of the front of the transmission. Absolutley no pedal pressure. Replaced the slave cylinder and problem was fixed

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When my slave went out it did the same thing. Dumped fluid out of the front of the transmission. Absolutley no pedal pressure. Replaced the slave cylinder and problem was fixed

So, when yours took a shit, did your clutch stay disengaged?

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score

+1 I'm on my 3rd slave and I can tell you that it sounds like your slave is blown. Your right in thinking if the input shaft would have broken that you would have heard it.

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pulled it apart this morning. It's the slave cylinder. I'm too old for this shit, though. I need a rack.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back