Copper Gasket Spray

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
With the exception of my 3V builds, I always used Copper Gasket Spray when installing the heads on my engines. For some reason, I never did it on the 3Vs. So, I did a search here, but very vague references to using this product.

Who's using it? Any benefits to 3V's beyond heat transfer since I'm already using Cometic Head Gaskets and ARP?

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I used it on mine but I also went with Felpro gaskets since I haven't heard good things about the Cometic gaskets on the 3V.

As far as benefits, I can't really say.

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
I was told not to use it on my build. Just besure you have flat clean surfaces and use a new factory gasket set. Lots of guys making big power are using the GT500 gaskets, they are thicker than the 4.6 3v ones. I used the 4.6 3v ones so I didnt lower cr. And I would say no benfit with what you have now.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've swapped heads a few times and never used it. The Ford manual is very specific about not using it. The only gaskets I've heard of that would leak without it were Cometic that were specially ordered for thickness. I suppose it would also be a good idea if your machine shop doesn't own a profileometer.

FRPP has three vendors for the head changing kits. Fel-Pro, Cometic, and another I can't think of right now. I've used Fel-Pro and the one I can't think of and never had any leaks. The highest I've ever boosted was 19psi though.

Do you have a build planned or are you just thinking up stuff in Afganistan? Thanks for being there.

lee12609

forum member
Reaction score
i was always told NOT to use it on MLS gaskets so i stuck with that.

i have used hylomar though, with very good success.

TurboX

Formally Buzz Lightyear
Reaction score
Whats the deal on Cometic gaskets ? Cometic are the only game in town for 3.7 bore, kinda sucks if they are known to have issues.

Sorry to derail the thread

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Whats the deal on Cometic gaskets ? Cometic are the only game in town for 3.7 bore, kinda sucks if they are known to have issues.

Sorry to derail the thread

I only mentioned something Livernois had posted a few years ago. They had problems with the custom made thin cometic gaskets developing leaks so as a precaution they sprayed them with copper during assembly. I would think that the gaskets in the Ford Racing big bore boss head changing kit would not have an issue. Nobody has ever reported one anyway.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I'm using stock gaskets. Are people blowing the stocker???

The consensus seem to be that stock gaskets are good to 27-28psi when used with head studs.

I was told that there is a coating already on the stock head gaskets that does exactly the same thing as the copper spray. Same thing with the OEM exhaust gaskets.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back