Coyote Drivetrain Question

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Im doing my research on a build I want to do but I can't find the answer to this. Applies to mustangs or F150s with a 5.0. I need to know the drivetrain alignment so I can get the axle housing shortened on the recipient car. Since the input shaft isn't centered on the diff housing, how do they take that into account? My understanding is that u-joints don't like two pinion angles...

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Correct. It is a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer. It is offset a little towards the passenger side.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, with respect to the differential housing only. Perhaps you guys are answering my question by saying that the axle is slightly longer on one side. I'm hoping someone knows for sure.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Correct. It is a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer. It is offset a little towards the passenger side.
Unlikely

Are you sure? The Pinion Flange should be centered and 1 tube will be slightly longer than the other possibly
This^^^^

Yes, with respect to the differential housing only. Perhaps you guys are answering my question by saying that the axle is slightly longer on one side. I'm hoping someone knows for sure.

Do you know how you can know for sure?:whistle1:

41wqiWmhmxL.jpg

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
In actuality you can go to some of the Axle Builder Sites and get some info for measurements on custom. Strange, Moser, etc.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Do you know how you can know for sure?:whistle1:

41wqiWmhmxL.jpg

I don't have anything with a coyote powertrain to measure it so no

Are you sure thats not the front axle?

Yes I pulled it in the junkyard myself.

Hopefully this will make y'all believers since we have digressed from the original question. Please let me know if something doesn't make sense. Found some pipe clamps my buddy has and used those as my "squares" since I don't actually one. Measured with respect to the pumpkin only. As you can see, there is approximately 1.25" difference from the posts to the center of the pinion, which means it is offset 0.625" from the centerline of the housing. I also looked up the axle lengths for a S197 Mustang and found them to be 1.13" different between the two sides, which would make the answer to my original question Option 3. That means the centerline of the axle vs the pinion center difference is 0.565 (close enough for me for not using a true square and a tape measure) and that accounts for the pinion flange being offset to the right (pax side axle is the longer one)

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/62678/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/62679/10002/-1

From the driver's side

From the pax side

Back