Cranks but won't start after new battery install

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
It can still be a bad battery. A battery can have enough juice to turn the motor, but not fire the ignition and/or power the fuel pump. The way the car is acting I would try hooking another battery from one of your other vehicles just to see what happens.

I will try this with my Explorer battery. I think it is pretty much the same battery anyways and I know it works good.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
OK, well as I figured there are no codes showing up. Scanner shows 12.2 volts. I dont' think it is the battery. I am thinking it is a relay or something like that. I have no idea how to check to see if a relay is bad though

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Undo everything you did with the horn and foglamps from the initial post. Check ALL grounds when doing this.

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
Just read trough the tread real fast. So sorry if I repeat something.

Crank no start- do you have an odometer reading ? Or just dashes ?
Check for injector PW while cranking. Do u have PW?
Does it start with the MAF disconnected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Undo everything you did with the horn and foglamps from the initial post. Check ALL grounds when doing this.

Will back on the case early next week to try this. The entire bumper cover will have to come off etc and I won't have time to do this until next week.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Just read trough the tread real fast. So sorry if I repeat something.

Crank no start- do you have an odometer reading ? Or just dashes ?
Check for injector PW while cranking. Do u have PW?
Does it start with the MAF disconnected?

Yes, odometer reading is fine... no dashes in display.

Will try the other two suggestions before ripping the front end off.

Any suggestions on how to check for PW without any help?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
You can use a test light on an injector or coil circuit. One wire key on engine off will have battery power the other side is the driver circuit. You can place the test light on battery positive and the other end on the driver circuit. See if the light blinks while cranking. If it doesn't blink. Assuming you did the test correct you don't have engine sync. Usually a crank sensor or cam sensor.

Also side note. The PCM using rpm signal to turn on tue fuel pump. Rpm signal comes from the crank sensor. So to know if this is your issue. When you turn on the key the fuel pump will prime. Then shut off. You can if you want. Crank the line open drain tue
Fuel pressure from the rails. And leave the line disconnected. But leave the key on so the fuel pump don't prime again. Then crank the motor. If there is an rpm signal the fuel pump will kick on again. If the fuel pump doesn't kick on. The check the crank sensor circuit. Let me know if u get this far. There is still a few more test steps to do.

I been planing on making a DIY diagnosis flow chart for crank no start. Most of the test steps will not require logging tools so most people
Can use it.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
You can use a test light on an injector or coil circuit. One wire key on engine off will have battery power the other side is the driver circuit. You can place the test light on battery positive and the other end on the driver circuit. See if the light blinks while cranking. If it doesn't blink. Assuming you did the test correct you don't have engine sync. Usually a crank sensor or cam sensor.

Also side note. The PCM using rpm signal to turn on tue fuel pump. Rpm signal comes from the crank sensor. So to know if this is your issue. When you turn on the key the fuel pump will prime. Then shut off. You can if you want. Crank the line open drain tue
Fuel pressure from the rails. And leave the line disconnected. But leave the key on so the fuel pump don't prime again. Then crank the motor. If there is an rpm signal the fuel pump will kick on again. If the fuel pump doesn't kick on. The check the crank sensor circuit. Let me know if u get this far. There is still a few more test steps to do.

I been planing on making a DIY diagnosis flow chart for crank no start. Most of the test steps will not require logging tools so most people
Can use it.

Great info, thank you sir!

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, well here we are ugh.... a year later almost and I am back chasing down this problem. Life has gotten in the way and the car has been parked since last year.

1 simple question for now.

If the alternator got fried from running with a dead battery, would this prevent the car from starting. IOW's could this whole issue be a result of a failed alternator? The last time it was running I could hear the alternator in the radio (whining). It was running like this for some time (2 - 3 hours)

recap;
Cranks but won't start
Battery replaced
No codes throwing
Tested with voltmeter - all fine
All fuses fine
Fuel pump and filter changed
Can visually see the cam turn
Have not been able to upload tune (may still be corrupt). New tuner on the way

many thanks for any info!

linkwilliams

Reaction score
The brief horn beep when hooking the battery up is the security horn located in the trunk on the passenger side behind carpet trim. Normal for the beep when you hook the battery up.

With the key turned to the on position ( engine not running ) do you have a service engine soon light on? the light should be on. If not then you have a fuse or a relay problem.

I know you said you checked all of the fuses but are you sure you checked ALL of the fuses? Passenger side kick panel and engine compartment? Right side kick panel fuse block picture

Last edited:

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
read your whole thread, I had the same problem with my '05 mustang gt back in around late '05, battery kept dieing during the time it was in the body shop during all the body mods we were doing, we had to keep jump starting the car , but finely the car won't turn over and crank at all. long story short, I had to get a locksmith to get it to run, even though I had the key, he basically had to program the computer, it only took him about 15 mins to do this and it cranked right up! no problem since.. something about the battery being dead to long wiped out the computer. sounds just like what is going on with your car. I know it's crazy ,but true story!

Last edited:

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.

I have check all the fuses including those in the kick panel. I have not checked to see which lights come on the instrument panel and whether the service soon light comes on. I will post a pic in a couple hours.

I am wondering about the key/security system and if it has any part of this.

I think the next step will be uploading a new tune. Something I would have done a long time ago if I hadn't had my tuner stolen.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
OK, here is the picture of my dash immediately after turning the key. A few of the lights go out a second or two after but I know this is normal.

photo-1_zps4f7d9ca5.jpg

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Sub'd for results to this gremlin! Good luck brother, I can't believe you haven't gotten this resolved since last year! That would of irked me everyday.

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.

I have check all the fuses including those in the kick panel. I have not checked to see which lights come on the instrument panel and whether the service soon light comes on. I will post a pic in a couple hours.

I am wondering about the key/security system and if it has any part of this.

I think the next step will be uploading a new tune. Something I would have done a long time ago if I hadn't had my tuner stolen.

Don't think the tune would keep it from cranking, I know if a engine light sign comes on mine ,I re-download my tune and then everything is alright.
, but still it doesn't stop my car from cranking when the light comes on.
Does the car turn over at all? or does it make a clicking noise? I would have already taken it to a Ford dealer to get it taken care of, no way I would have put up with it for a year! man you have patience....

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
It does crank and no clicking. Battery was replaced.

The only reason I have had the patience is that it was parked for the winter and I have 2 decent other vehicles to drive. But the wait is over.... Time to get it on the road for the summer. The tuner won't be here until after the weekend so I guess not much else to do but wait for it to arrive.

BIGCHRISS197

Honda Hunter
Reaction score
Probably already asked, but when you turn the key to accessory 2 do you hear the fuel pump prime? If not try using the key fob to unlock the doors then try again if it starts or sputters then the issue is more than likely with your pats system

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Mystery solved. Turned out it was a fuse. It wasn't blown but it must not have been seated correctly. I pulled every fuse again just to be sure. None of them were blown. Turned her over and she started right away. W00t!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back