Custom amp pull down shelf

Discussion in 'Tunes!' started by cavero, Feb 10, 2021.

1. cavero

cavero forum member

I've got a small amp (75Wx4 RMS) sitting around, so I was looking to put it in the trunk. I've seen lots of people mount theirs on the back of the rear seat, on top of the spare tire, or even on a shelf hanging down from the rear deck (saw this one here in the forums):
    amp shelf.jpg

The thing is, I don't want the amplifier taking up valuable cargo space in the trunk, and fold down my rear seats a lot to put my bike in the back of the car, so the back of the seat isn't going to work (imagine the bike snagging the power wire ).

A drop-down shelf from the rear deck makes the most sense, since between the speakers probably won't get in the way of loading anything in the trunk. Problem with the shelf idea is the controls are on the top of the amp, so I can't make adjustments with it in place. I could take the amp off the shelf, make adjustments, and put it back on, but where's the fun in that?

Instead, I got some inspiration from a pull down knife rack we have in our kitchen which uses something called a pull-down rack hinge:

drop block.jpg

Here's my mockup (don't mind the Pampers, I've got lots of those boxes right now):
    PXL_20210210_194945409.MP.jpg

PXL_20210210_195621185.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210210_195720351.MP.jpg

I've got two issue's i've got to solve.

1 is what to make it out of. I bought a bunch of aluminum L-bracket from Home Despot, which will work for the arms, but for the shelf and the top mount, I'm going to need something that comes in sheets, which they don't carry in any kind of thickness that's going to have some strength. Anyone an experienced metalworker out there that might have a good idea for what sort of gauge aluminum I'd need for this and where a good supplier might be?

2. How to make it latch closed. The springs will do a lot to take the weight, but they're not going to work over bumps. The kitchen version uses magnets, but that's not a good idea near a piece of audio electronics.

2. MrBhp

MrBhp Member

What if you didn't use plate. Just put in L bracket where the amp mounts. It would look like a tic tac toe board.

3. cavero

cavero forum member

I need the top bracket to be pretty large (~ 3") to allow everything to fold up like on the mockup. I could try to build it as a cage (that was my original plan), but I'm worried it'd be too flimsy. The kitchen version of that pull down rack has a lot of tension on it w/ the springs.

Someone on another forum was asking why not just go with steel since it's a lot easier to work with, can be thinner, cheaper, and for the size of the part probably not much heavier, if any heavier at all.

As far as latching it in the stowed position, the same guy suggested these,
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/264487074947?mkevt=1&mkcid=28&chn=ps
    [​IMG]

but I also found these:
    https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/p...E4_LkYD0rWevxR1SIQs4TpoQ58YPV3I8aApKcEALw_wcB

[​IMG]

4. MrBhp

MrBhp Member

Oh yeah I get it. There's bound to be some kitchen storage gadget you could Frankenstein. Lol

5. DieHarder

DieHarder Member

Ditto... Can you still get the undershelf unit you have in the kitchen? Probably expensive for what it is but may be worth it and likely super easy to adapt.

6. cavero

cavero forum member

I ended up buying 22 gauge steel from Home Depot which seems like it's going to do the trick. below is what I've got so far. I'd like it to have some kind of stamping to make it a little more rigid but if it's bolted at all 4 corners, it'll be fine.

So the top box is steel, the arms are aluminum (I could probably redo in steel if I had to), and the tray is...an Ikea cutting board (see, not done w/ this kitchen stuff yet). The ikea cutting board is polyethylene which is pretty rigid, durable, and easy to work with, and cheap! only $3. I have a stack of these on the shelf for this sort of thing (wouldn't be the first time I used one to mount an amp)

Rattling is going to be a problem, so I'm going to need some nylon bushings, and will probably use a layer of dynamat between the top bracket and the underside of the car's rear shelf.

Still looking for ideas on how to latch it closed. Someone on another site suggested this
    https://www.amazon.com/TCH-Hardware-Small-Padlockable-Keeper/dp/B07F1RWTT1
    [​IMG]

7. cavero

cavero forum member

PXL_20210215_234635993.MP.jpg PXL_20210215_234602851.MP.jpg

MrBhp likes this.
  8. jewc75

jewc75 S197 Junkie S197 Team Member

My amp is bolted to the rear speaker tray. Im curious to see what you come up with.

9. tabstang

tabstang Junior Member

nice work! kinda overkill IMO, not sure why the amp needs to come down that way but I like it.

10. cavero

cavero forum member

Mostly because I wanna be able to make adjustments after installing it without dropping the amp shelf, partly because just doing a hanging shelf is too easy and I'm running out of mods to do :D

MrBhp likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.