dealership troubles, recent purchase

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Go talk to a lawyer,if the paper work has on it no damages,then you have a case to make them make it right. You always have 36 hrs to back out of a contract on a vehicle,it's a federal law... after the 36 hrs is up, then it's time to talk to lawyer.wish you the best..

No you don't. FACT.

im still waiting to hear back about the hail damage situtation. they better make that right over anything. it would be a cheap fix on their part, the gap coverage was an $800 charge, but my own insurance has that anyways so im not paying for it again. the AUTOPERFECT was $895, covers door dings and anything that doesnt need paint or body, pretty much PDR repair. no deductible or anything out of my pocket to fix the stuff. both are a matter of filling out cancellation forms. btw i figured out that when i signed it he had half the paper folded over so that i couldnt see the loan term had been extended.... shady

this was my first time buying a car from a dealership so this paperwork bullshit is all new. i didint know what to look for/expect. ive always bought my cars privately.
That's high for gap. I just paid I think it was $390 for it on my F-150.

I highly doubt you have real gap on your auto insurance. I've never heard of that. You may want to check into the background/find print and make sure you are 100% sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
That's high for gap. I just paid I think it was $390 for it on my F-150.

I highly doubt you have real gap on your auto insurance. I've never heard of that. You may want to check into the background/find print and make sure you are 100% sure.

A few auto insurance carriers do have real gap coverage. Even others offer upgrading to the next model year as well.

However, nearly all of them only cover for either coverage for a max of two years.

OP... I would keep the gap, see if they can drop the cost. It is for the life/length of your loan. And worth every penny if you ever need it. :hi:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
It's been a good while since I tried to purchase a vehicle , but back in 2003 a lawyer told me about the law, a lot of people don't know about it. might not be like that any more. On any car/vehicle sale you have 36 hrs to back out of the deal, no more than 36 hrs,but it was that at one time. I know for a fact ,because i've done it in the past...

It wasn't a/the law in 2003 either. Get a new lawyer, yours is a moron.

Can confirm. There were a few who were alright in my dealership years, but 90% of them were shady as fuck and I've had a couple of them cut into my numbers to bump their own and keep the payments the same for the customer. Also had a couple of them run sold customers out of the dealership by being greedy assholes after I had the sale closed.

I solved that crap by spiffing the sales guys on what the F&I guys closed and spiffing the F&I guys on what the sales guys closed. And I handed out penalty spiffs for those that were willing to throw the other person under the bus (which usually involved the dealer making less in the end) for their own commission.

By default in time it ended up that the F&I guys ended up closing most of the deals for the sales guys. The sales guys job was to get them in the door, make them happy, etc, basically turning them into order takers. The F&I guys were the deal closers. It worked really well. Everyone made $$$.

Not like that in Ga. I took a truck back before and they didn't want to take it back ,but after I contacted my lawyer and he quoted my the statue to tell them,which can't remember anymore ,they took truck back no questions asked.. Far as now days I'm not sure...

Unless you have a link to the GA law that supports that I don't believe your story.

Last edited by a moderator:

cschoening09

forum member
Reaction score
so question quick.... I bought this '14 mustang gt USED with 5900 miles. clean title perfect carfax, no accident etc... got it home and found the very minimal hail damge thats hard for me to even see. -----should the dealership be fixing this and making it right?? i just want to make sure im not in the wrong here. they're taking their sweet time getting back to me. salesman said in a text "im gonna see if we can get it done for you"

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
so question quick.... I bought this '14 mustang gt USED with 5900 miles. clean title perfect carfax, no accident etc... got it home and found the very minimal hail damge thats hard for me to even see. -----should the dealership be fixing this and making it right?? i just want to make sure im not in the wrong here. they're taking their sweet time getting back to me. salesman said in a text "im gonna see if we can get it done for you"

That is a grey area as far as right/wrong goes. Did they even know? Did you fail to inspect the car? All sorts of variables. I hate to say it but you're probably screwed. They don't have to do anything for you.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

My opinion is their wrong and they should make it right. Legally, I'm sure your screwed. But I'd raise hell.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The only thing you get 3 days on is door to door sales, and that may vary by state.

cschoening09

forum member
Reaction score
i looked this car up and down, and even knowing they are there now when the car is outside, its stilll hard to see the dings, you really have to be looking for them.. i specifically told the salesman i didnt want anything with door dings and such. i would assume that meant hail too if i were him! someone had to know about it im sure. i am going to leave a review on cars.com and the outcome of this will directly reflect the review. i will give them the full 5 stars if they fix the hail dings. thats all i want from them. i think they knowingly sold it with the hail dents just keeping quiet about it

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The car was used, not new.

Like I said, that's just my opinion. I'm not basing it from a legal matter. Obviously, the OP should of did a better job checking out the car. IMO though, a dealer selling a 2014 (not even a year old) car with hail damage that didn't disclose that information isn't a dealer I would want to deal with. Just my 2 cents.

cschoening09

forum member
Reaction score
yes i should have taken more time to look it over i agree. but i agree with your other point being they did not disclose it, i signed a paper stated they had to disclose any damages and they did not disclose them. therefore they didnt inspect the car obviously or something, idk im new to this shit

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
i looked this car up and down, and even knowing they are there now when the car is outside, its stilll hard to see the dings, you really have to be looking for them.. i specifically told the salesman i didnt want anything with door dings and such. i would assume that meant hail too if i were him! someone had to know about it im sure. i am going to leave a review on cars.com and the outcome of this will directly reflect the review. i will give them the full 5 stars if they fix the hail dings. thats all i want from them. i think they knowingly sold it with the hail dents just keeping quiet about it

You can hardly see them when you're looking for them but you're sure someone at the dealer knew they were there?

Dealers don't inspect used (or even new) units like a customer would. The dealer doesn't care. they may as well be toasters or a pile of chord wood.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
My opinion is their wrong and they should make it right. Legally, I'm sure your screwed. But I'd raise hell.

Like I said, that's just my opinion. I'm not basing it from a legal matter. Obviously, the OP should of did a better job checking out the car. IMO though, a dealer selling a 2014 (not even a year old) car with hail damage that didn't disclose that information isn't a dealer I would want to deal with. Just my 2 cents.
Caveat Emptor

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
yes i should have taken more time to look it over i agree. but i agree with your other point being they did not disclose it, i signed a paper stated they had to disclose any damages and they did not disclose them. therefore they didnt inspect the car obviously or something, idk im new to this shit

You don't know that they knew the damage was there.

You looked at it, you signed the paperwork, you took it home. As soon as you did that it's your responsibility. Chalk it up as a lesson and move on. The dealer won't do anything for you and neither will the law. All you are doing is getting wound up and wasting your own time.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
maybe they didnt know. i just assumed they would look them over before or after trading or selling them

Chord wood. I've worked for many dealers and owned one of my own. I have never seen an inspection process that would catch what you're describing.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You don't know that they knew the damage was there.

You looked at it, you signed the paperwork, you took it home. As soon as you did that it's your responsibility. Chalk it up as a lesson and move on. The dealer won't do anything for you and neither will the law. All you are doing is getting wound up and wasting your own time.

I think its worth a try. I would not lose sleep over it. But worse case, like you said, chalk it up to a lesson.

cschoening09

forum member
Reaction score
They're fixing the hail dents Tuesday. im a happy camper. I think I lucked out. these guys are going the extra mile for me. coming to pick up my car Tuesday and dropping off a fusion as a loaner, bringing mine back Wednesday. they've been great working through my issues with me. I think if it all turns out well they will get a great review and a thank you letter!

Last edited:

2011/5.0

Reaction score
Good to hear it worked out. You were lucky enough to purchase from a stand up dealership

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score

Several major companies do. Most that offer financing for vehicles as well as insurance do. State Farm for example offers gap for free on all vehicles that are both financed and insured through them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back