Desperate for help 05’ convertible nightmare electrical issue

Hellanore415

Reaction score
greeting s197 community, sorry for the long post. pleasure to join you all officially. I have had the opportunity to read several of your post and replies and have gained valuable knowledge by simple tuning in this way . However I am here now in dire need of your help . My 05’ convertible was purchased with no functional windows or convertible top. I have a coyote motor getting ready to swap in but I have before I do that I wanted to tackle the window and convertible top issues and also get all necessary parts for the swap . So after owning an 2009 GT I was all too familiar with the sjb issues . I got the car for a steal , hoping it was the sjb . Pulled the sjb checked all fuses and Needles to say it was not the sjb . I literally have every single electrical function working normally except the windows and convertible top motor. I replaced both relays under the hood , replaced the window motors and regulators and still nothing. After being completely defeated I purchased an entire door from a wrecked 05’ with the window still in the up position. Immediately After connecting to connector and turning the keys that door window rolled down immediately to never be seen again. Now with my original door back on, When I click up or down on the window there was a clicking sound . No it’s nothing. For 2 days my passenger window worked by pressing the convertible top switch in the up position. The clicking in when I press the door switches has stopped completely. I attempted to bypass everything and jump the motor with my 12v drill battery and no luck . I can duplicate the clicking sound when I attempt to jump the motors . I don’t know which wire is up or down .but I would like to re wire the windows to a completely different setup and switch . Can anyone help me with a diagram for the convertible, point me in the right direction or have you experienced this issue ?

AE55AB1B-948F-41CF-8248-23763919F58D.jpeg

724B8A6A-0F40-4A12-B1B2-268F5BF5F9C1.jpeg

hobojck

Reaction score
Do you know if the sjb was ever changed? There is a difference between coupe and convertible.

Hellanore415

Reaction score
I’m not sure if the SJB was replaced or not. I did inspect it with a fine tooth comb but , I will inspect again to see if the serials numbers match somehow. Is it possible for the previous owner to have replaced it with the wrong sjb creating this situation? I’m going to go through the links you sent me . Thanks fellas for the prompt response. Looking forward to the fix

Hellanore415

Reaction score
Ok I have the diagram, I’m not the best at reading this , but there is 2 sets of colors for up and down wires that I need to jump “if I’m not mistaken “ . Is it wires #226&227 or wires #313&314? And same question for the convertible top. At this point I’m just hoping for a prayer , so anything will help

859FAAE4-FC78-415A-A9C8-846D6DED7236.png

hobojck

Reaction score
I admire your efforts to get the windows working, but I think you maybe opening a can of worms. For one I don't think the window drop will work when you open the door or go back up when you close the door. I guess that's why it is called SJB. I would be looking to see if that SJB was changed and if it was is it from a convertible.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
It almost sounds like one of the switches is "stuck" and overriding all the other switches. Is it possible to disconnect the passenger side window switch and see what happens? Then move to the other switches. Beyond that I'm thinking SJB. It doesn't have to look bad to actually be bad.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The SJB does have self diagnostics capability, and does have DTCs that can be accessed to help with diagnostics. Forscan is one of them.
That said, you may have can bus issues that could be affecting the SJB, not sure on this as I have not had any issues like yours.
As it has been said already, SJBs cant just be swapped from a different car. Only if jt is from an identical car with the same exact options.

08MustangDude

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
SJBs can most certainly be swapped from another car, IF you have ForSCAN or
Ford IDS to program it for the options. Though, it has to be another convertible,
not one from any coupe. Basic functionality will be there, different options are
what I said above; Fog lamps, and so on, like power seats, Shaker system or
not (amp control), and as I said, transmission type. It would be EASIER to
get one from another convertible with the same options...

Hellanore415: If you are going to jump wires, it would be at the motor plug.
Pull the harness from the motor(s) and use alligator clips to test for motor
function.

Also, the most common cause of SJB malfunction is water intrusion.

From what I read, the top won't go down if the rear two windows won't go down.

If the pump is low on fluid, it won't initiate. You can fill it with ATF. There is a rubber plug
in the top of the motor/pump. When you remove that plug, you can fill it till the
fluid just starts to back out, then plug it.

Just covering everything I can think of...

Hellanore415

Reaction score
Just wanted to take the time to thank you all for taking the time out of your day and providing me with this information. Really appreciate the help and looking forward to posting pics of my car and future builds and getting your feedback. I did fill the cylinder with atf , and I did notice the tiniest bit of corrosion on 2 prongs of the sjb , I clean it off and to my best ability and inspected it. I also wiggled the connections to the fuse box under the hood. I read that in a thread somewhere.

After speaking with you guys I’m leaning to the side that I might indeed have a coupe sjb or a malfunctioning sjb. However, I do intend to install scott rod door panels and do a rear seat delete . And eventually a convertible delete “probably last mod” as well , but would love to get it functional in the mean time . Since this is a can of worms I have already opened up, I guess I’m determined.

Anyone:has anyone relocated window switches or used universal window switches for installing rob scott door panels or any custom setup for that matter , and could if so, could you provide a little expertise on how you accomplished this .

I’ve been researching on my own before I created this thread and it’s a lot of threads that identify similar problems, but I been unsuccessful to locate a solution. Here’s one that definitely helped but also left me at dead end.

https://www.s197forum.com/threads/2005-power-windows-switch-wiring-diagram.117876/

08mustangdude:which wires do I jump on
The motor, the up and down wires , or power and ground. ? Sorry if I’m not completely savvy with this all . Im a fast learner , if I have the information available to me, just need the cheat sheet for this one

Once again Fellas , Thank you ALL for your comments and advice. Can’t stress that enough . The Internet is a powerful tool.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back