Dipstick hitting manifold

mikek2111987

Reaction score
Long story short, I'm putting a new motor in my car. 06 motor, 07 car and parts. I put new pypes LT headers on it, and the dipstick tube is hitting the header flange, only allowing me to catch a thread or two on the bolt for it. See attached picture, kind of hard to make out though.

I can find anything about this in the search so I'm at a loss. Probably just me being stupid

IMG_20190704_103513_01.jpg

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Been there done that. It's an absolute pain to get it back in, but it will go. May require some gentle bending of the dipstick tube or mount (where the bolt goes) to get it to fit better.

mikek2111987

Reaction score
Been there done that. It's an absolute pain to get it back in, but it will go. May require some gentle bending of the dipstick tube or mount (where the bolt goes) to get it to fit better.
Really wishing I would've messed with it more then when the motor was not in the car

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
I have the same Pypes headers and it drove me near insane the first time I was reinstalling it after the I put the headers on. Yours looks like its touching the flange more than mine did, so I would suggest marking it where it hits, and then take it out and bend it a bit (just be careful not to kink it). You maybe could also take it out and bend the tab that mounts to the head towards the center of the car, and then turn the dipstick a bit to get it started.

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
I've also cut a notch in the header flange for clearance. It doesn't affect sealing or durability, although the flange may be under tension and might 'tweak' when you cut through. Just snug the bolts up evenly and it will straighten itself out.

rathair

Reaction score
Just the same, I also put Pypes headers on and had this very issue. I tried bending the tube, but eventually it kinked. I solved the issue by installing the Lokar dipstick (#ED-5014), it says it’s for older 4.6l 2V engines, but with a few emails to their tech support, I managed to figure it out. The measurement for the end that pushes into the block is the same as the Lokar unit. I drained the oil, put 6 litres in with a new filter, and double checked oil level, it reads exactly as it should. I sent the info including a bunch of pics to Lokar, so that they would adjust the catalogue to include 3v engines, but haven’t seen a change yet. I will post some pics when I get a chance.

rathair

Reaction score
0FEAE2C3-783C-4D82-B623-096B0D3321DA.jpeg D551013E-7BCB-42C2-9F50-AD36B7C08928.jpeg 1FFD449F-06FA-4812-92E1-36B143BCE3F6.jpeg
I just attached the top bracket to the valve cover bolt.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you guys are having issues. Mine was a pain to install, but it fit. I even have a blower CAI hanging over it now and it still fits (with some finesse).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back