Don’t know why I never bought one of these.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I think this is the lift that you should absolutely never raise without a few hundred lbs on it. Something I read elsewhere in the last couple of days.

Norm

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
For anything over $1500, I'd go with one of these.

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/nationwide-car-storage-lift-parking-lift-8000-lb-p/nw-4-8k.htm

Still portable, and it's more of a mid-rise lift as far as the tower height is concerned (I also use it with used Hunter 4W alignment system I got pretty cheap).

20170318_115841a.jpg

I used it to raise about halfway up in a normal height garage before I moved and
built pole barn. Comes with one jack tray to get one set of wheels in the air.
Later on could get cross jack if desired or just another jack tray to get all 4 wheels
up for the rare wheel rotation or maybe 4 wheels bleed.

Very useful for doing exhausts or chassis mods that need to fit right or be tightened with full weight on chassis, stuff almost impossible to do with "2 post" type lift.

Best part is drive on for quick 2 minute oil change. Takes longer for me usually to set up arms on my 2 post, than it does to do full oil change on 4 post. :)

Last edited:

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice! Congrats. Most of the photos I've seen for these are not as revealing to how much room there really is. Is there enough to get the trans out on a short trans jack?

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice! Congrats. Most of the photos I've seen for these are not as revealing to how much room there really is. Is there enough to get the trans out on a short trans jack?

Sure easy, here is a 331 stroked/blown fox body LTD I built for my dad, view from under the lift.

DCP05574.JPG

Another view to show space. You also get at least some space between
runway and floorboard. That thing on the bottom is a sheet metal platform
you can buy to put at either end of lift to stand on. Lets says you need to
work in engine compartment while it is lifted up AND underneath at mostly
the same time. You can put down that tray, climb up a ladder and stand/work
on eng compartment, even with lift up in the air.

2014-04-21_17-42-14_536.jpg

This is car right side up.....

20180514_190948.jpg

Another nice thing it you can put all kinds of tools on runways, so they are right there
for easy reach (you can see ratchet sticking out on lower side of first pic)

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
After my Dad closed his Ford dealership back in '07 it quickly became clear that I would miss the after hours access to the two-post hoists, the commercial grade air system and the tire machine & balancer.

I wish I could swing those for my barn.
I could have had one of the first electric two posts lift for free. Work was upgrading, thru out 5 Baer B52 lifts. iIRC. Did not have a place to store it. Should have made space.
First thing I installed here was a 60 gallon upright compressor.
In 2007 I got an Atlas tire machine (rimclamp) and matching balancer.
I have been eyeing a lift of some type for a while. Ppl started bringing those portables to HPDE events last few years.
I need a lift.. and a rotisery, and a tig, and..... lol

Joseph

Reaction score
I installed Brembo rotors and pads in back (along with Boss 302 lines at all four corners) and they are great. Real Brembo parts don't seem to dust bad at all, but lots of fakes out there. My front pads still have plenty left in them.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine had a bunch of scrap wood left over from a project in his house. So he built these. Low buck for sure but effective. Not as Hollywood as the lift, but check it out.

Says he has great access and it's higher than you might think.

Attach19662_20200329_152049.jpg

Attach21358_20200417_162426.jpg

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I think this is the lift that you should absolutely never raise without a few hundred lbs on it. Something I read elsewhere in the last couple of days.
Norm

When I first got mine and assembled it I tested it by just standing on it with one foot on each lift. Seemed to work fine.

07 Boss

Reaction score
For anything over $1500, I'd go with one of these.

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/nationwide-car-storage-lift-parking-lift-8000-lb-p/nw-4-8k.htm

Still portable, and it's more of a mid-rise lift as far as the tower height is concerned (I also use it with used Hunter 4W alignment system I got pretty cheap).

20170318_115841a.jpg

I used it to raise about halfway up in a normal height garage before I moved and
built pole barn. Comes with one jack tray to get one set of wheels in the air.
Later on could get cross jack if desired or just another jack tray to get all 4 wheels
up for the rare wheel rotation or maybe 4 wheels bleed.

Very useful for doing exhausts or chassis mods that need to fit right or be tightened with full weight on chassis, stuff almost impossible to do with "2 post" type lift.

Best part is drive on for quick 2 minute oil change. Takes longer for me usually to set up arms on my 2 post, than it does to do full oil change on 4 post. :)

I would have loved to get a 2 or 4 post lift but my garage floor can't be drilled into to support the bolts. Obviously this is the way to go but in my case this is a pretty good option.

07 Boss

Reaction score

Norm

Yeah it says damage may occur if you extend it all the way up without any weight on it. Says it a few times so I guess people have done it. Even with the set up and system bleeding you are instructed to raise it only to the mid point. Why would you lift it without weight on it anyways?

BaddAsp

Reaction score

Norm
The installation manual requires you to go through several lift and lower cycles with nothing at all on it to purge air and balance the system

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
I would have loved to get a 2 or 4 post lift but my garage floor can't be drilled into to support the bolts. Obviously this is the way to go but in my case this is a pretty good option.

I have 3, 4 posts (one I bought strictly to get another parking spot in my house garage, which was built with 11 foot ceilings for some reason) and none of them are bolted down.

My most recent is an ultra tall, ultra long, 9000 lb I got so I can get my 3/4 ton diesel with cap underneath on a lift finally (and put one of my classics up there when not using lift, but still fit that 3/4 ton under it). That one is not bolted down either. It's not really required, in fact most of them come with wheel/caster kits so that you can move them around when you need to.

20191220_150640.jpg

I have looked at those portable things for track use, but they seem kind of heavy to be able to get out of my truck. I did tow to the roadcourse last time, so possibly in the future I could find one of them lighter. I only need to lift about 3000 lbs.

One more pick of my first 8K 4post in my old house. This is std height garage. Pic is an 08 mazda6, about as high as it could go.

DCP05341.JPG

DCP05334.JPG

Oh, and here is caster kit. When lift is lowered all the way, arm pivots on wheel and raises up towers about an inch. I'm only 150lbs, and I can move it around by myself pretty easy.

DCP05330.JPG

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
The installation manual requires you to go through several lift and lower cycles with nothing at all on it to purge air and balance the system

Yes but you don’t cycle it all the way up. Just past halfway.

Back in the day I worked at a service station with one of those old school single post hydraulic lifts and one day they were screwing around and lifted one of the employees up as high as it would go. It got stuck. We had to call a guy out to get it down. Boss was pissed.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I have 3, 4 posts (one I bought strictly to get another parking spot in my house garage, which was built with 11 foot ceilings for some reason) and none of them are bolted down.

My most recent is an ultra tall, ultra long, 9000 lb I got so I can get my 3/4 ton diesel with cap underneath on a lift finally (and put one of my classics up there when not using lift, but still fit that 3/4 ton under it). That one is not bolted down either. It's not really required, in fact most of them come with wheel/caster kits so that you can move them around when you need to.

20191220_150640.jpg

I have looked at those portable things for track use, but they seem kind of heavy to be able to get out of my truck. I did tow to the roadcourse last time, so possibly in the future I could find one of them lighter. I only need to lift about 3000 lbs.

One more pick of my first 8K 4post in my old house. This is std height garage. Pic is an 08 mazda6, about as high as it could go.

DCP05341.JPG

DCP05334.JPG

Oh, and here is caster kit. When lift is lowered all the way, arm pivots on wheel and raises up towers about an inch. I'm only 150lbs, and I can move it around by myself pretty easy.

DCP05330.JPG

Those are pretty cool. I’ve never seen those. Can you add to those center lift sections to raise the car off it’s suspension?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back