Drag radial recommendation for specs inside?

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Hey there. So I'm kind of floored with how many tire options there are out there. That said, I've got an 06 gt with brembo track 19s on it. It's a manual and soon will have about 560hp at the wheels. I don't plan on going to the drag strip more than a couple times a year. That said my main goal here is to not spin and crash on the street when I get on it. As well as be able to actually use my first and second gear. I'm pretty sure there are 3.73s in the rear end at the moment.

Any recommendations? Do I need to get different wheels? I really love the look of the track pack wheels but 19s are a problem aren't they?

I want a drag radial on the rear right?

Car will have a gt500 tr6060 and a gt500 DS with a McLeod rst so I don't think I have to be too worried about breaking anything instantly.

Thanks! !

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Brembo wheels are 19x9 so the widest tire you can safely run, and it'll still bubble out a bit, is a 285-35-19

But there are some good tires in that size ... do a search on Tire Rack and on Discount Tire Direct

By the way, check your PM's

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would run a DR with that set up for sure.

Either a NT05r or a MT ET SR II

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
The Nitto 555DR is suppose to be one of the best street-able Drag radials. They do ok in the rain, handle decent in turns, and wont be worn out in 2000 miles.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Okay great, thanks guys. If I go with two of those DR's in the back and keep the track pack wheels, do I need to go all 4 of them or can I go 2 of a more typical tire in the front?
Might help if I get caught in the rain. As long as they are the same size of course?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I run a summer tire in the front, a Hankook, in 275/40/19, and a DR in the back, 305/35/20 Nitto 555R.

You don't have to have them the same size, if the rears are DR's you're not gonna rotate anyway ...

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
So I've run into a problem. Nitto, Mickey.. none have any drag radials that fit a 19x9 wheel. (my brembos) so I was like, well I can use my stock 17x8's - except the only thing that fits these are 245 nittos..

ugh. I really prefer the look of bullit bladed oem wheels or the brembo wheels. Plus I'm trying to look kinda OEM/sleeper.

FML am I screwed or what

so frustrating lol i can't believe there is 0 drag radials that fit either of these wheels i own

Last edited:

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
So I've run into a problem. Nitto, Mickey.. none have any drag radials that fit a 19x9 wheel. (my brembos) so I was like, well I can use my stock 17x8's - except the only thing that fits these are 245 nittos..

ugh. I really prefer the look of bullit bladed oem wheels or the brembo wheels. Plus I'm trying to look kinda OEM/sleeper.

FML am I screwed or what

so frustrating lol i can't believe there is 0 drag radials that fit either of these wheels i own

The M&H 275/50-17 drag radials fit really well on the OEM 17x8 wheels and work great.

mustangtcs

forum member
Reaction score
The M&H is a perfect match and hook great on those 17x8's. I have pics on here with them on my car. They do have a soft sidewall though which really helps them for putting the power to the ground but not in turns. Nittos are good street drag radials due to their stiff sidewall. On the street your not doing burnouts at stoplights which is why I run the NT05R in 305/45r18 just to have the biggest tire I can and I am happy with them, and had the M&H 275/50r17 before these. Evolution had the best price on their site when I got my M&H's. And my car has a Kenne Bell and 4.10's.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Do I need to be concerned about my manual transmission? I have a few local guys telling me that the M&H drag radials are going to be hell to launch since I have a manual.
I plan on upgrading my axles and differential eventually and with the tr6060 transmission I'm hoping that I should be good to go.

GTAmuscle

forum member
Reaction score
Do I need to be concerned about my manual transmission? I have a few local guys telling me that the M&H drag radials are going to be hell to launch since I have a manual.
I plan on upgrading my axles and differential eventually and with the tr6060 transmission I'm hoping that I should be good to go.

Why would the be hell to launch? They're a pretty damn good hooking tire from what I recall.

GTAmuscle

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's hard on it. Especially a stock clutch would be bad. But for a couple times a year? Get a McLeod and you should be fine.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back