Ecoboost Just announced

StangPower05

"Pony Up"
Reaction score
RIP Mustang if this is all true, especially if they don't offer a v8 option..

hightechrdn

forum member
Reaction score
I think they have bad taste from the '03-'04 Cobra's that spit out there half shafts. So they fault all IRS's to be weak. The IRS , if built tough enough, will be awesome.

This. Plenty of high power Porches and any manner of imports put down 600hp+ to the wheels through IRS setups. Some are AWD, but plenty are RWD and do fine. Cost is certainly an issue and Ford doing it right is a big unknown, but it doesn't have to be the end of the world either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

monk36

forum member
Reaction score
I would actually love a high revving twin turbo v6 with an IRS as a daily. Performance tune, slight boost bump, and some good tires, and that'd be a hella fun daily with good mileage.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
IMHO Mustang and IRS dont belong in the same setence. Something I have always loved about the mustang historicly is its ability to perform with rivals at a lower cost, with its smaller displacement engine, basic suspension etc. Thats a huge factor for me.

Well considering the original had an IRS designed for it, I don't see how this holds true. I love the "character" and "raw" feeling of a live axle as much as the next but there are days when I get sick of the ride quality. It would also be nice to have the ability to tune rear camber. The Cobra IRS was a joke because so much was compromised to make it work in the SN95 chassis underpinnings and "blessed" with super soft bushings that created bind and lots of other problems.

This appears to be a redesign from the ground up. Lets hope Ford can give it to us in a package that is beefy enough for you drag guys and doesn't compromise the ride or handling.

Ford also knows that this car wont sell overseas without "upgrading" to an IRS so forget the hopes that it will come with a live axle at the last minute like the 05's did.

For years the corner carving crowd has made live axle cars handle, maybe it's about time the hardcore drag guys learn to make an IRS launch. :) Considering how important the "Global Ford" platforms are going to be, I should point out that the future of the Mustang depends on sales overseas. Otherwise we are going to receive some bastardized platform or even the canceling of the car all together. I would rather put up with Europeanizing a little bit if it means keeping the lineage alive.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know if its been stated anywhere, will the 15 Mustang be on a different chassis or will it still be a S197

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I got to ride along in a new Focus ST. I hate to say, that thing would make a stock V8 blush. It's not a slow car by any means. Has a nice growl for a 4-banger too, but no replacement for modular V8 tone. Maybe they'll bring back the SVO badge?

I so agree the IRS is FTMFL. However, if it makes the mustang sell global, I'm all for having semi-domestic product bring some money back our way. $20 says the 4-banger eats a Camaro on both track fields all day!

It runs mid 14's... not sure how it would make a stock V8 blush. A good handler is what it is though.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
The 2.0 ecoboost option is just fine for the focus ST that will be replacing my 2002 SVT but there is no way I'd buy a mustang with the same engine.
I swapped a 2.3L turbo, drivetrain and suspension from a totalled SVO into a 1980 Capri, I was happy until I tried racing a bolt-on 5.0 LX. Then after feeling the torque and the sound of the V8, I never looked back. The only thing I truly loved about my SVO'd Capri was the recaro seats and the brakes. The SVO wasn't as great in real life as its legend was.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Did you not modify the 2.3? They can put out right around 300HP without much effort on stock injectors, ECU, turbo, etc.

The difference with the new EcoBoost is that its turbo scrolls much quicker, so turbo lag is pretty much gone and peak torque comes in at a much lower rpm than a V8 so it'll feel very torquey in a Mustang. Your old 2.3L turbo is not comparable to the new 2.0L EcoBoost.

In terms of what, power or economy? Certainly the newer stuff will get better mileage but there are 2.3's running in the 8's and 9's in the 1/4. Not sure if the 2.0 has accomplished that yet.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well considering the original had an IRS designed for it, I don't see how this holds true. I love the "character" and "raw" feeling of a live axle as much as the next but there are days when I get sick of the ride quality. It would also be nice to have the ability to tune rear camber. The Cobra IRS was a joke because so much was compromised to make it work in the SN95 chassis underpinnings and "blessed" with super soft bushings that created bind and lots of other problems.

This appears to be a redesign from the ground up. Lets hope Ford can give it to us in a package that is beefy enough for you drag guys and doesn't compromise the ride or handling.

Ford also knows that this car wont sell overseas without "upgrading" to an IRS so forget the hopes that it will come with a live axle at the last minute like the 05's did.

For years the corner carving crowd has made live axle cars handle, maybe it's about time the hardcore drag guys learn to make an IRS launch. :) Considering how important the "Global Ford" platforms are going to be, I should point out that the future of the Mustang depends on sales overseas. Otherwise we are going to receive some bastardized platform or even the canceling of the car all together. I would rather put up with Europeanizing a little bit if it means keeping the lineage alive.

Well-said. :clap:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
The spy shots that we've seen of the IRS looks awfully similar to a modified thunderbird IRS.

I wonder if this is actually just a heavily modified S197 platform, sort've like the Fox & SN95 as the Fox-4

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The spy shots that we've seen of the IRS looks awfully similar to a modified thunderbird IRS.

I wonder if this is actually just a heavily modified S197 platform, sort've like the Fox & SN95 as the Fox-4
I hope it is, for the sole reason of parts compatability with the prior years.

jmauld

forum member
Reaction score
A bad IRS is just as bad if not worse than a bad live axle. A good IRS, is only marginally better. There are a lot of really bad IRS cars running around that have nothing to brag about.

Id much rather have a sla front suspension over the current mcstrut, regardless of what they do in the rear.

I'll be holding out for the ecoboost v8!!!

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
A bad IRS is just as bad if not worse than a bad live axle. A good IRS, is only marginally better. There are a lot of really bad IRS cars running around that have nothing to brag about.

Id much rather have a sla front suspension over the current mcstrut, regardless of what they do in the rear.

I'll be holding out for the ecoboost v8!!!

I would agree with the Short-Long Arm (SLA) front. If this car is going back to it's original roots (DEW98) then I hope we get the whole package and not MacPhearson Struts up front... Knowing Ford, it's only a small miracle of the bean counters that the rear will be a double wishbone and not a Chapman strut rear (Think MacPhearson Strut but for the rear) let alone having a proper front suspension geometry. Heaven forbid they do that!

Seer what T-Bird IRS are you talking about that it looks like? All of the T-Bird IRS pictures I have seen don't look anything like this one. Do you have pictures? I would be interested to see them if you do.

Franchi

Senior JR Member....
Reaction score
I'm happy about it ( long as there will still be a v8 option ) just cause that means aftermarket companies will start to really step up for the ecoboost and maybe some of them I can put on my EB f-150 as beyond basic intake, tune, and cat back, there isn't much available right now. Livernois is working on a downpipe at least

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Completely disagree, unless you're only talking about straight line performance.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

timfoster405

forum member
Reaction score
I wish they would offer a live axle as an option... they already have a design for that... they could call it the "drag-pack" option... it could actually be a price decrease...

In the same way they have the 'spoiler delete' option... but that option does not decrease the price.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back