Ecoboost Just announced

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
maybe they'll include magnets! :roflmao:

You know for all the shit we give the Magnetic shocks on the ZL1, Corvette and CTS-V they really are an extremely capable set of shocks that are more than likely far better than any standard hydraulic shock. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the new standard for shock technology.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
maybe they'll include magnets! :roflmao:

I'm sure technology is good. But the fanboys make such a big deal about it. Like it's gonna magically make you drive like an F1 racer or something.

I'd have no issue with magnetic ride control. But service costs for such a system must be astronomical.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
When Trans-Am allowed IRS for the first time, the cars didnt get any faster. The added weight canceled out the benefit of being independent.
The problem is that this comparison was made on smooth race track surfaces. On uneven surfaces and more technical tracks having an IRS really makes a difference. Furthermore, Trans Am was over 20 years ago. Live axles haven't changed much but IRS systems have certainly gotten more advanced.

Id love to see a new mustang that is lighter and has double A-arm suspension all around. A 4 cylinder turbo pushed back behind the front wheel centers would only sweeten the deal.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
You know for all the shit we give the Magnetic shocks on the ZL1, Corvette and CTS-V they really are an extremely capable set of shocks that are more than likely far better than any standard hydraulic shock. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the new standard for shock technology.

I do agree with you..

I'm sure technology is good. But the fanboys make such a big deal about it. Like it's gonna magically make you drive like an F1 racer or something.

I'd have no issue with magnetic ride control. But service costs for such a system must be astronomical.

But This pretty much sums it up.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If the new Mustang has a V6 (any displacement) with turbos that makes at least 365hp/420+ ft-lbs and IRS, I'd rock the sh!t out of it. Some guys talk about having the "V8 sound". But I buy for the performance not sound. If I can get the performance of a V8 with the fuel economy of a V6 on the highway, I'll gladly sacrifice the "V8 sound".

Two Mustangs. Same approximate weight. One with a 425hp/390 ft-lb 5.0 DOHC. One with a tweeked 3.5 EcoBoost with roughly the same hp and over 425 ft-lbs. V6 for the win. The 3.5 EB makes more torque and way sooner. The current OE 3.5EB makes 420 peak ft-lbs at like 2500 and makes 90% or more from 1700 to 5500rpm. That's 378 ft-lbs or more pretty much everywhere you use it.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
This is all great news as the new platform will be able to compete with other luxury sports cars in other countries (ie. Europe), but what I like grew to love about these cars is they make a bunch of noise and they knock you all around and breaking the ass end around is what it is all about.

I just like a cold-hard bitch of a brute.

V8 is definitely going to be an option for a GT, if they didn't do that, it would potentially knock out a huge part of US buyers. Ford is always good at analyzing loyalists and they just couldn't do that.

50tbrd88

forum member
Reaction score
I feel Ford has a huge task ahead of them making the Mustang a "global" car. If they make it too Euro, Americans won't buy it. If they make it too Americanized, Europeans won't buy it. There is a great potential for failure here, but also potential for something really special, imo.

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
This is all great news as the new platform will be able to compete with other luxury sports cars in other countries (ie. Europe), but what I like grew to love about these cars is they make a bunch of noise and they knock you all around and breaking the ass end around is what it is all about.

I just like a cold-hard bitch of a brute.

V8 is definitely going to be an option for a GT, if they didn't do that, it would potentially knock out a huge part of US buyers. Ford is always good at analyzing loyalists and they just couldn't do that.

You nailed it Cam. The current Mustang is crude, brutish and I love it.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I read an article yesterday that said Ford was attempting to move up market with the new versions/redesigns of their cars. The Mustang won't be a crude, brutish car for much longer IMO. I think it will be refined. Every version is more reined than the last. That's the progression of cars.

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
I love my Ecoboost F150 , It makes roughly 410 rwhp and 481 ftlbs at the wheels .
That same performance on a 3600 lbs car is roughly 11.90s @ 114.00 mph , and still make 30 mpg on the hwy is Ok in my book . Thats just tweeking the factory boost and exhaust . Now throw in the picture bigger turbo's with a little more boost another 70 hp , and you can see the potential is there without going crazy . My truck went at 5700 lbs 97.86 and that was at 16 psi's . I now have a tune on it with 20 psi's . A mustang thats typically 2000 lbs lighter and your hauling azz.

Pete

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I love my Ecoboost F150 , It makes roughly 410 rwhp and 481 ftlbs at the wheels .
That same performance on a 3600 lbs car is roughly 11.90s @ 114.00 mph , and still make 30 mpg on the hwy is Ok in my book . Thats just tweeking the factory boost and exhaust . Now throw in the picture bigger turbo's with a little more boost another 70 hp , and you can see the potential is there without going crazy . My truck went at 5700 lbs 97.86 and that was at 16 psi's . I now have a tune on it with 20 psi's . A mustang thats typically 2000 lbs lighter and your hauling azz.

Pete

This is exactly why I hope for a 3.5 EB Mustang.

TurboPete

forum member
Reaction score
This is exactly why I hope for a 3.5 EB Mustang.

If they do come out with a 3.5L Im all over this and Ill take one in Performance White of course. LOL . From here to there Im sure there will be parts available . Livernois should have pistons and rods. Im not a fan of the IRS , but I guess I can get use to it.

Pete

suleman09

Sully's Stang10
Reaction score
I know they will make a V8 option because if they don't they will lost a whole load of sales. But one benifit will come out of it.

It'll make my buying options slimmer. 2013 Gt it is! :)

Tooz

Reaction score
I think they will make the V8 a option. But it will be a premium GT or Shelby option only. The low end GT's will get the Ecoboost or V6. Here is the reason why, this was just passed this week. In 2016 the CAFE jumps to 35.5 MPG. here are some links below.

http://spectator.org/archives/2012/08/24/goodbye-v-8s-the-engines-that/
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120828/OEM11/120829909/1128

One more thing, The spy shot pictures of that silver Mustang with the IRS floating around, If you look that car, it has full dual exhaust on it. I think it has the V6 in not the Ecoboost, that is why it has the mics on the back to check the sound.

If you want to be 100% sure you can get a V8, buy a '13 or '14 before they're gone.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back