Elevated Magnesium in Oil

klaw

forum member
Reaction score
My buddy just got an oil analysis back on his '04 terminator and the magnesium had been steady at 13 for the previous 3 tests but jumped to 539 this time. All other metals look fine (low and consistent). Anybody have any ideas?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When you google it says engine cases and it is added to oil. Did he change brands on the last change?

mr. anderson

forum member
Reaction score
it's not bearing material so that's a good thing, not sure if any of the engine make up of a termi had magnesium in it. but generally they are used to lighten up things, ie covers, cases, other parts.

+1 on the oil brand change, some of the oil brands have a high additive package to help with metal wear. would have to find out what oil he is using.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I would look inside the front cover....I remember on my last engine it appeared that the crank timing gear was occasionally rubbing on the cover and I saw a smooth wear mark on the inside of the front cover.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
It could possibly be a laboratory error too, before you do too much work and assuming the oil analysis isn't too expensive I would perform a retest.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back