Engine bay cleaning?

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I made a lot of research on this and even went to the detailing forum. Whats great about simple green is it is non toxic and won't ruin any of your parts. Unless you hose thru your cai and supercharger. LOL I had a beater that was really dirty and did a mixture of 60 simple green and 40 water. Sprayed the engine compartment and voila. CLEAN like dealer ready to sell. You could probably even increase the strength in adding more simple green. One other advantage is the price.
Nice... cheap and easy... music to my ears. haha

hurst

forum member
Reaction score
I forgot to say for really dirty engine use full strength and scrub the oil build up. For semi dirty just mix it up with 70 SG 30 water or even 80 SG.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Semi warm engine, spray the shit out most everything with Simple Green, let it sit for a few minutes and then hose away (of course missing the alt, CAI, PCM etc.). May have to go over some areas with a rag depending how dirty.

Also, I simply wide down the engine bay every time I wash the car. Takes about 5 minutes to wipe down everything I can reach with my hand and a clean rag.

Last edited:

ixtlan

Reaction score
I made a lot of research on this and even went to the detailing forum. Whats great about simple green is it is non toxic and won't ruin any of your parts. Unless you hose thru your cai and supercharger. LOL I had a beater that was really dirty and did a mixture of 60 simple green and 40 water. Sprayed the engine compartment and voila. CLEAN like dealer ready to sell. You could probably even increase the strength in adding more simple green. One other advantage is the price.

Careful Simple Green is good stuff but not on High Strength Steel.
Dont think we have any except a aftermarket item might.
Causes Hydrogen Embrittlement.
I see it in the Landing Gear business and it can be bad news.
We have banned it for a cleaner on Landing Gear.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Careful Simple Green is good stuff but not on High Strength Steel.
Dont think we have any except a aftermarket item might.
Causes Hydrogen Embrittlement.
I see it in the Landing Gear business and it can be bad news.
We have banned it for a cleaner on Landing Gear.

Very true. I've seen it play havoc on calipers if allowed to sit on the metal for a long time. As long as it's rinsed off thoroughly it's o.k.

Dread53

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm a Simple Green fan myself, and it also works great on brake dust and bug guts. I found out it's pretty good at removing 20 coats of Zaino, so be careful on the bug guts....

don_w

Reaction score
I picked up a bottle of Simple Green yesterday. Hopefully I'll have some time today or tomorrow to give it a shot.

anticubicle

Reaction score
Simple Green + Brushes = the way to go.

Just be sure to cover up any electronics (ie: MAFia, Nitrous control boxes etc.,)

don_w

Reaction score
I used the simple green tonight, but it got too dark to really see how well it did. Guess I'll have to look tomorrow to see if I missed any spots.

hurst

forum member
Reaction score
man o man u didn't leave it there overnight to dry did you? LOL Your suppose to rinse right away. LOL

don_w

Reaction score
man o man u didn't leave it there overnight to dry did you? LOL Your suppose to rinse right away. LOL
LOL.. no, I rinsed it off right away, but the water didn't dry before it got too dark to see.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cleaned under the hood today. Sprayed it down inside with a hose, applied some Simple Green, then wiped off with a damp towel. Cleaned up nice from what I could tell. Wasn't that dirty to begin with, though.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Throw some Turtle wax F21 on it, it will look better than new...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back