First (for me) Track testing the CJ intake manifold

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Testing was done at the 10/18/13 MIR track rental, Car is a 2014 Gt/CS A6, Fully loaded down to the navigation and power passenger seat. Only mods are

CJ intake manifold
SCJ Throttle body
Home made 5 inch CAI
JLT catch can (passenger side)
DSS one piece ds
Lethal off road H
Circle D 5C converter
Race star wheels (15x10 275/50/15)
Sway bar disconnected

Suspension is 100% stock

Only weight reduction was removal of the strut tower brace, Everything else was still there down to the spare tire.

Started the day off with a [email protected] (-23DA) and after a few tune changes ended up with a [email protected] (+480DA). Shift points on the .23 pass were 1-2 7100/ 2-3 7600/ I think with getting the 1-2 shift higher and changing some things were the converter locks should pick it up another tenth.

I wanted to test the factory IM at the same time along with a 4 1/2 CAI for CJ IM but we did not have enough time. But i will do that another day here soon.

Comparing these times to some of my other customers Boss intake combos i am still unsure if this manifold is worth all the extra money over the Boss, I do believe the CJ manifold does make more power though, Once I do some more testing with it over the next month i will be able to come up with a better answer to that (Only in my opinion).

This is not a very good comparison, but the car had been a best of 11.63@116 in +222DA with the factory manifold and factory air box (different track, different days). The only mods for this pass was the converter, off road H, 275/40/17 drag radials, and the sway bar disconnected. So i added quite a few things along with the CJ manifold.

I am not trying to set any records here, there are a few guys out there going way faster then me, I just wanted to share the times it ran at the track rental:beer:

Below are a few videos and the worst and best time slips of the day.

Attachments

• MIR_slip_1.jpg
    MIR_slip_1.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 68
  • MIR_slip_2.jpg
    MIR_slip_2.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 50
  • MIR_1.jpg
    MIR_1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 47

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Would you be able to test the Boss and CJ on the same day? Do a couple passes on the Boss, repeat for the CJ.

Either way, that is pretty badass time!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Those are very nice slips Mike. I'd say you have a good handle on the 5.0! What's really amazing is how few mods were done to get those times. I'd imagine you have the tuning down pat.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW - I believe the GT500 TB with the CJ intake is a restriction over the Boss with the stock 80mm throttle body. I have been testing both setups against each other and my car ran it's best last night using the Boss intake.

I believe to see gains over the Boss intake one must use the mono-blade SCJ TB. That said, my plan is to procure a mono-blade SCJ TB and test with the CJ intake more.

Nice passes and good luck with your continued testing. :)

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
FWIW - I believe the GT500 TB with the CJ intake is a restriction over the Boss with the stock 80mm throttle body. I have been testing both setups against each other and my car ran it's best last night using the Boss intake.

Not what I would expect. The GT500 tb has a larger combined area than the stock tb.

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Would you be able to test the Boss and CJ on the same day? Do a couple passes on the Boss, repeat for the CJ.

Either way, that is pretty badass time!

That is the plan, I have a customer that is going to lend me his intake (Boss) for some upcoming testing. I have some numbers to compare with already, but of course different days at different tracks and different cars, So the data is not 100% accurate by any means. From what i have so far the CJ is worth about .07 and about 1mph over the Boss. Only way to tell that for sure though is to test back to back as you mentioned!

Those are very nice slips Mike. I'd say you have a good handle on the 5.0! What's really amazing is how few mods were done to get those times. I'd imagine you have the tuning down pat.

Thanks Bruce!

I believe to see gains over the Boss intake one must use the mono-blade SCJ TB. That said, my plan is to procure a mono-blade SCJ TB and test with the CJ intake more.

Nice passes and good luck with your continued testing. :)

Thanks man! I dont have much data for the GT500 TB vs the SCJ, But i do agree that the GT500 is a restriction for the CJ IM, I have only done one dyno test on them and the SCJ did see a peak 6hp increase over the GT500 on a different car on different days.

I am going back this Friday to test out a few tweeks and the corn. Hopefully there is a 10 sec slip in there for me!

I read some were that you went a 6.80? You guys have that car MOVING:beer:

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks man! I dont have much data for the GT500 TB vs the SCJ, But i do agree that the GT500 is a restriction for the CJ IM, I have only done one dyno test on them and the SCJ did see a peak 6hp increase over the GT500 on a different car on different days.

I am going back this Friday to test out a few tweeks and the corn. Hopefully there is a 10 sec slip in there for me!

Good luck! I believe you are very close to getting it done. If you can break that 7.0 barrier in the 1/8th that is all you need. :thumb2:

I read some were that you went a 6.80? You guys have that car MOVING:beer:

Thanks! I am pretty pumped about breaking the 6.80 mark. I am hoping with a few more changes to the car that 6.70's are achievable. :beerchug2:

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Mike, do you think the CJ flows better overall? Or flows more low to mid range but the same as the Boss up top?

Later on I plan to put a IM to compliment the soon to be installed Paxton and have been waiting for testing on the CJ before I decide on the Boss.

calebparkin3

forum member
Reaction score
Mike, do you think the CJ flows better overall? Or flows more low to mid range but the same as the Boss up top?

Later on I plan to put a IM to compliment the soon to be installed Paxton and have been waiting for testing on the CJ before I decide on the Boss.

Im with you the reason i havent installed the Boss IM i have is because i wanted to wait to see testing on the CJM

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Good luck! I believe you are very close to getting it done. If you can break that 7.0 barrier in the 1/8th that is all you need. :thumb2:

Thanks! I am pretty pumped about breaking the 6.80 mark. I am hoping with a few more changes to the car that 6.70's are achievable. :beerchug2:

Once the air starts to get better i am sure 6.70's and better are not going to be a problem at all, Again huge props to you guys for going that fast!

Im with you the reason i havent installed the Boss IM i have is because i wanted to wait to see testing on the CJM

To be honest i cant say at this point, I will have to do some more testing first. I have never had the Boss on my car, although i have tested dozens of them on the dyno. But what they do in the real world (track) is a different story. To my knowledge wbt and those guys are the only ones that have done track testing with both.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Not what I would expect. The GT500 tb has a larger combined area than the stock tb.

Greater area doesn't always mean better flow.

Rough estimates for supported CFM ratings:

2005-2010 twin 55mm - 890 CFM

2011+ 5.0 single 80mm - 913 CFM

Stock GT500 twin 60mm - 1045 CFM

SCJ twin 65mm - 1517 CFM

SCJ mono-blade 160mm - 1900 CFM

On paper the GT500 TB would appear to flow more. Results to date at the track indicate something different. Granted I have more testing and comparisons to make so I wouldn't consider my findings conclusive just yet.

stang67

forum member
Reaction score
What. I was looking to do was the. Cj manifold with a twin 62 on the web I found the cj intake for 689 vs just over 500 for the boss with just under 200 differance is it worth it

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back