Fitment of GT500 Hood w/ Whipple Supercharger

X

xvesnfpu

So, does the GT500 hood require modification to fit a GT with Whipple supercharger? I've already installed the GT500 front fascia. The stock GT hood and GT500 front fascia fit together nicely, BTW.

It seemed like the 2007 GT500 hood may impose ever so slightly on the compressor pulley. I recall a post regarding this issue, but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
you need mods just to get the hood to work with a gt alone much worry about it with a whipple. I think the front bumper needs to be changed also. There was someone that did a gt500 swap with many of the body parts. Hawg might remember that guy :roflmao:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lostsoul is right, I think that requires the front bumper to be changed to the GT 500 one.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
front bumper is not required but there is a gap between the hood and the grille if the GT bumper is kept.

someone on TMS did it

X

xvesnfpu

I've already installed the GT500 front fascia. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Ultimately my concern is hood fitment with the Whipple supercharger.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
try it out, and if it doesn't fit, get a set of lowered motor mounts. im sure that would work wonderfully. to test fitment place a ball of clay on top of the S/C and close the hood slowly. see how much it flattens out, if any and it will tell you how much clearance there is

Willie

Reaction score

No worries! I've removed one of my hood vents, stuck my hand in and put it on top of the 3.125-inch pulley. I'm happy to report there is about 1/2-inch of clearance.

Willie

X

xvesnfpu

No worries! I've removed one of my hood vents, stuck my hand in and put it on top of the 3.125-inch pulley. I'm happy to report there is about 1/2-inch of clearance.

Willie

That's what I'm hoping to hear, as I've got the 3.375 pulley. Fortunately, I'll be able to test hood fitment and will be able to ship the hood back without any cost to me. In other words, the parts guy says he'll let me test fit without charging me return fees, etc.

Willie

Reaction score
I wasn't exactly sure if my pulley is 3.125". I just checked and I was wrong. It's the same as yours, a 3.375". So you're definitely good to go!

Willie

X

xvesnfpu

try it out, and if it doesn't fit, get a set of lowered motor mounts. im sure that would work wonderfully. to test fitment place a ball of clay on top of the S/C and close the hood slowly. see how much it flattens out, if any and it will tell you how much clearance there is

As you suggested 94tbird, I went ahead and purchased the lowering motor mounts as a precautionary measure. If I don't need so be it.

I also plan to purchase an 8-rib kit with a smaller supercharger pulley. I currently have the 3.375 (10 psi), but will drop down to a 3.2. Not a big jump, I know.

Reaction score
Turns out hood fitment was not an issue, just as everyone said. I also have some motor lowering mounts that I never used for sale in the classifieds section.

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2905.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

Last edited:

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
Looks great.. thanks for getting back.. that should keep things a little more cooler in that engine bay.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back