Fixing my exhaust sound

Trooper4985

Reaction score
Finally have the car back together. FRPP Hi Flow CNC heads, 127300 cams, BBK Twin 62 TB, American Racing LT w/ O/R H, CMDP, Steeda UDP, Borla Stingers and tunes from Bama. I can now scare old ladies and make babies cry with the tap of my foot... I might add the FRPP intake manifold, but for now all is good in the world.

Only problem I need to solve is the nasty popping. I have checked Youtube and found SilverBossGT's video and comments stating that he moved from an O/R H to a O/R Prochamber but I can't find any vids of a LT/Prochamber/Borla setup. I loved how the Borla's sounded before I did the Heads/Cams/LTs but am willing to go with a new axleback if need be. Anyone suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Trooper, I really like the sound of the Borla Touring mufflers with long tubes and off road X/H pipes. I had Steeda mufflers on my 2006 and they sounded great before I put on the LT's and X pipe... sounded way to raspy and loud afterwards. I actually went back to the stock mufflers to quite it down.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
This nasty popping you refer to, I assume, is the 2500-3200 rpm range torque grunt? It's hard to have your cake and eat it too.

I had Pypes LT, Pypes O/R X, and Pypes M-80 MMS. It doesn't get much louder than that without just dumping the exhaust. That rasp/poppy note in the mid-range was only bearable because everything above that was "RACECAR" exhaust note. Yes, I too struck fear in the pacemakers of old folks and gave children something to really cry about. Also lost 2 girlfriends to the phrase "your car is too loud." Such treason is intolerable, and brave words considering we're in the middle of a desert...

Anyway, I aquired a high-flow catted mid-pipe for smog purposes. Running the catted mid-pipe I noticed it didn't cut too much of my sound level down but it cleaned up my mid-range pop. I actually made a few more ft/lbs with the cats too. If a good set of high-flow cats aren't out of the question, I'd give those a shot first. A prochamber is going to change the exhaust note of your mufflers at all rpm. High-flow cats should just dampen the note.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
You can tune all of that out. In the motorcycle world it's called lean popping.

My tuner tuned it out of my 2007 to see if he could. I didn't like it so he "turned it back on", Now it sounds like a proper race car again.

IDK what he did though.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Either high flow cats, resonators or a slightly milder muffler such as the Borla Touring and your popping will clear up. I had off road headers and Borla Touring and had some popping. It was also a bit too loud for me. I added resonators in front of the axle and it cleaned the tone up nicely.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Mid mounted resonators totally clean up the tone. I run cams, LTs, off road H, mbrp resonators then borla s types. Sounds really deep and thick. I love it. Best combo I have ever heard IMO on a 3v.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Mine wasn't popping with LT's, X-pipe with straight through Magnaflows dumped at the axle. Then I had mine tuner change the tune back. Now it pops like a sportbike. Zero exhaust changes.

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
my prochamber cleared everything up. Sounds good with LTs and magnaflow street mufflers, almost too quiet but i like the sleeperness of it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back