FRPP Cam + A/C = Stalling Out

Guido

forum member
Reaction score
Bama seems to have the tunes dialed in for these cams.

^True story. I ran my car with Hot Rods on a Bama race tune for over a year. Zero issues, perfect driveability, even after beating on it at the drags. I highly recommend Bama for a Hot Rod tune.

Davenow

forum member
Reaction score
:naughty1: just for a couple days.

Hm... Fastlane emailed me this morning asking how I liked the new revision. Right now this is what I'm seeing from driving the car.

Idle (A/C off) - 850-900RPM
Idle (A/C on) - 950-1000RPM

I replied asking if they could possibly lower the idle to around 750-825. It just sounds strange idling, IMO. Most likely because it is just idling too high. Personally I think these cams can only sound good if they are are low speeds.

If I continue to have to deal with this, then I'm going to put the stock cams back in or maybe a nsr comp cam that has a smaller lope.

Just go into your SCT and lower the idle yourself.

I have mine set to idle in gear 675, in neutral 675.

Davenow

forum member
Reaction score
Ok just went out and double checked

Tune is set for
Idle in neutral 675
Idle in Drive 675
And on the data log screen with the AC off, it says "desired RPM 675"
It idles around 675ish in park/N/Drive/reverse

With the AC on the "desired RPM" on the data log screen says 736 (weird?) and it idles around 725-735

So its higher, but its still fairly low.

Strangely enough, when I turn the AC off, the desired RPM stays at that 736 for about a full minute until it goes back to 675.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Ok just went out and double checked

Tune is set for
Idle in neutral 675
Idle in Drive 675
And on the data log screen with the AC off, it says "desired RPM 675"
It idles around 675ish in park/N/Drive/reverse

With the AC on the "desired RPM" on the data log screen says 736 (weird?) and it idles around 725-735

So its higher, but its still fairly low.

Strangely enough, when I turn the AC off, the desired RPM stays at that 736 for about a full minute until it goes back to 675.

My Bama tune is set to idle at 768 (on the data log screen "desired RPM") with A/C on or off. I went in and changed the idle to 675 idle and drive and it reacts exactly as yours does. ^^^^

Davenow

forum member
Reaction score
The ONLY problem, and I wouldnt so much say its a problem, so much as its something to be aware of, is that if I start the car up when its already warmed up (meaning it will be looking for 675rpm right away not a higher warm up idle), and stick it into gear, it can stall. It ONLY happens if you start the car and pull it right into gear, ONLY if its already hot. Like when I go to a drive through, I shut the car off so I can hear to place the order. If I fire it back up and stuff it in D right away (instead of giving it a couple seconds) it will sometimes stall.

This wouldnt be an issue on a manual. It isnt REALLY an issue on an automatic, just have to give it 3-4 seconds after you start it before you jam it into gear.

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
The ONLY problem, and I wouldnt so much say its a problem, so much as its something to be aware of, is that if I start the car up when its already warmed up (meaning it will be looking for 675rpm right away not a higher warm up idle), and stick it into gear, it can stall. It ONLY happens if you start the car and pull it right into gear, ONLY if its already hot. Like when I go to a drive through, I shut the car off so I can hear to place the order. If I fire it back up and stuff it in D right away (instead of giving it a couple seconds) it will sometimes stall.

This wouldnt be an issue on a manual. It isnt REALLY an issue on an automatic, just have to give it 3-4 seconds after you start it before you jam it into gear.

There are several idle parameters available under Diablosport, for example idle neutral, idle drive, and ac idle, I think it is the same way with SCT. Bama should be able to fix that without a problem.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
It should be figured out this week. I don't have time to make phone calls this week so I just PM'd Chris Rose. I'm confident they will figure it all out.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
BAMA Tune revision 2 is in and I'm in love all over again. Big thanks to Chris Rose and Mike Wilson. Going to do some datalogging tonight for them.

Lower idle makes them sound so much tolerable and the stock drivability is back!

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
BAMA Tune revision 2 is in and I'm in love all over again. Big thanks to Chris Rose and Mike Wilson. Going to do some datalogging tonight for them.

Lower idle makes them sound so much tolerable and the stock drivability is back!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! It runs like crap and you hate them!!!! Focus! Say this over and over until those cams reach my motor!!! LOL!!!! j/k Glad it's working out for ya!:thumb2:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cam, im glad they got it figured out for you. Its always good to be in love with your car.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Sorry Darren but this means you need to purchase that 2013. Stop dreading on the past and focus on a new 5.hoebag!

Typing on phone while girlfriend is shopping. Car maneuvers shopping parking lots smooth with the A/C on and I have a big grin. Just need to have it altered a tad bit as the RPM likes to randomly drop seeming like it almost stalls but catches it at last split second. Enough with the negative - all is positive here!! Just trying to find a roots blower or TVS now.... I really want a f'ing M90

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back