FRPP intake manifold...is this normal?

Litebulb

forum member
Reaction score
The way it happend for me was at the Texas mile. Thursday before my one Friday run the car had 4 dyno hits and the gasket was fine. The Friday I made a 3/4 pass finding out after that my alternator pulley flew off at beginning of the run(sat on k member lol ) and car spewed coolant out. I coasted in 5th(6060) to a 176mph. I noticed the gasket after that run. Long period of boost.

Second time was when Nmra came to Houston. It spit the gasket there as well. All short hits. I went from 3.27 gears to a 4.10 to help launch but fighting the boost and launching wasnt fun.

dalemllns

SLOMOD
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looking at how the gasket has been blown outward, it looks like it failed while under boost. I have this intake now, and this concerns even me as well. I'm only running 16 psi currently, but will be turning it up soon.

Wasn't it advertised to be tested at like 75 BAR??? How much PSI is that??? my math says over a thousand PSI.... After trying to find that to be correct at what they said on the original listing I find that they have removed any wording on boost..... it starts failing now..... and Im not ribbing here just saying.....

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Wasn't it advertised to be tested at like 75 BAR??? How much PSI is that??? my math says over a thousand PSI.... After trying to find that to be correct at what they said on the original listing I find that they have removed any wording on boost..... it starts failing now.....

It was 2 bar. which is about 29 psi.

This is right off the email I got from FRP when the intake was released:

"Tested up to 2 bar pressure - great for use with forced induction! "

dalemllns

SLOMOD
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It was 2 bar. which is about 29 psi.

This is right off the email I got from FRP when the intake was released:

"Tested up to 2 bar pressure - great for use with forced induction! "
ok, i couldnt find it, as they have removed that part...

dalemllns

SLOMOD
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah they've since removed that from the description. I still had the email from over the summer.

I hate that hes having that problem, hes making mad numbers with it, I like mine and the car runs well. I dont ever plan on that much boost but its possible ya know. Hope they figure that out and get it fixed.....

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I hate that hes having that problem, hes making mad numbers with it, I like mine and the car runs well. I dont ever plan on that much boost but its possible ya know. Hope they figure that out and get it fixed.....

That's how I see it too. I've been behind this intake 100%, and still feel it's a great intake for the price. The majority of boosted S197's are running 8-12 psi, this intake is a great peice for that crowd, as well as the n/a crowd. This intake isn't for everyone, I've never claimed it was. If someone is looking to run more than 20 psi, then it looks like they should look at the more expensive options. Or if someone isn't comfortable with the movement it makes, then they have other options as well.

I hope this is an isolated problem. I'll be running mine to those same levels though, so I'll certainly post up if I run into any problems.

Dillon Dollar

forum member
Reaction score
Im fixin to boost mine up to about 15 + psi so ill also keep yall updated on the manifold, just waiting on the coind for the procharger/vortech

Litebulb

forum member
Reaction score
Here is the latest word from my guy who's been in contact with the 3v head engineers. They say the fix is as follows...." remove all the bolts from the manifold and put the gasket back in the original spot. Then install silver/gray rtv in the spot where the gasket came out. Or install rtv on the entire gasket." So I either put rtv in one spot and see where it goes next or face never opening the manifold again. Lol to which I shouldn't have too in the first place.

I was going to mention earlier about description changes and catalog wording lol but I didn't want to be the whistle blower lol.

And I really do love the manifold look. They told my parts guy (they = ford engineers) that they have a fix but it's more than likely 6months to a year away. And I think it was just. A new plastic that supposedly stops it

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
The way I look at it.

If you can afford to run 20 something #s of boost on your car you can afford the expensive manifolds lol

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My 2 cents.

Mines holding up just fine at 16psi as well.

The frpp is still a composite manifold guys(a 2 piece desgin at that, so its inherently weaker than the stock manifold). It is desgined to help flow in the upper rpms on heads/cams n/a setups or mild boosted setups.

If you building a 700hp+ / 20psi+ monster, this intake obviously isnt the right choice for you.

It does look great though I agree. ;)

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
Here is the latest word from my guy who's been in contact with the 3v head engineers. They say the fix is as follows...." remove all the bolts from the manifold and put the gasket back in the original spot. Then install silver/gray rtv in the spot where the gasket came out. Or install rtv on the entire gasket." So I either put rtv in one spot and see where it goes next or face never opening the manifold again. Lol to which I shouldn't have too in the first place.

I was going to mention earlier about description changes and catalog wording lol but I didn't want to be the whistle blower lol.

And I really do love the manifold look. They told my parts guy (they = ford engineers) that they have a fix but it's more than likely 6months to a year away. And I think it was just. A new plastic that supposedly stops it
Sounds like a viable fix, however, what happens if it does happen to pop the gasket out even with RTV, will they hassle you for a warranty return since you have messed with it? Just something to look into.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Sounds like a viable fix, however, what happens if it does happen to pop the gasket out even with RTV, will they hassle you for a warranty return since you have messed with it? Just something to look into.

They should still stand behind it. If their recommended "fix" still doesn't fix it, then I'm sure they'll replace the manifold with a new one.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back