FRPP intake manifold...is this normal?

Litebulb

forum member
Reaction score
Ill post up pictures tomorrow, but im taking back my 2nd manifold and going to replace it with a c&l manifold. At 21psi i am blowing the gasket between the plenums out between the 2nd and 3rd runner area on the passenger side. This is the second time this has happened and in the exact same place. First time it did it between my dyno runs (899rwhp/868rwtq) and the 3/4s pass i made at texas mile. Second manifold did it at NMRA with the short tiny hits i made on 6 -8 quarter-mile passes.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Ill post up pictures tomorrow, but im taking back my 2nd manifold and going to replace it with a c&l manifold. At 21psi i am blowing the gasket between the plenums out between the 2nd and 3rd runner area on the passenger side. This is the second time this has happened and in the exact same place. First time it did it between my dyno runs (899rwhp/868rwtq) and the 3/4s pass i made at texas mile. Second manifold did it at NMRA with the short tiny hits i made on 6 -8 quarter-mile passes.

Are you saying the gasket is actually coming out of the grooves ? Also how are you "taking it back" ? Is Ford Racing going to give you a full refund ? I was actually thinking about selling mine, but if I can send it back and get a full refund then I'm game. There's a problem with the Paxton kit and FRPP manifold and I can't use my strut tower brace with it so I think I'm just going to go back to stock as bad as I hate to.

Litebulb

forum member
Reaction score
This is what happened to me. Two times lol

14f5f3fa.jpg

48f7e138.jpg

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
At 21psi i am blowing the gasket between the plenums out between the 2nd and 3rd runner area on the passenger side. This is the second time this has happened and in the exact same place. First time it did it between my dyno runs (899rwhp/868rwtq) and the 3/4s pass i made at texas mile. Second manifold did it at NMRA with the short tiny hits i made on 6 -8 quarter-mile passes.

I'm curious about this as well.

Edit: I see the pics now.

FRPP will certainly warranty that, and that sucks. Sorry for your troubles.

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Are you saying the gasket is actually coming out of the grooves ? Also how are you "taking it back" ? Is Ford Racing going to give you a full refund ? I was actually thinking about selling mine, but if I can send it back and get a full refund then I'm game. There's a problem with the Paxton kit and FRPP manifold and I can't use my strut tower brace with it so I think I'm just going to go back to stock as bad as I hate to.

You'd have to discuss returning it to whoever you bought it from. FRPP doesn't sell direct, so it's not up to them. If it's been installed, and there's nothing physically wrong with it, I think you'll just have to try and sell it.

Litebulb

forum member
Reaction score
No problems! I really Like it. Made 899/868 with it at 21 psi. Found that's the limit of my stock heads there lol. Not sure if it's been mentioned but fr catalog description for these has changed and mentions nothing about forced induction or boost. I hate to get a C&L (looking for one now btw lol) but I guess I have too.

Litebulb

forum member
Reaction score
Yes I'm just not sure how I feel about the inside with the runners so close together.

Litebulb

forum member
Reaction score
I took first one back to Tommie Vaugh In houston and got another. Second one has been returned and fromthe emails I have seen ford racing is behind the returns !!

Litebulb

forum member
Reaction score
anyone have the jpc cast intake? or the custom intake? its either those 2 or the C&L and id like to have the option to do a direct port kit just for looks lol. Car is being repainted now so im actually gonna try to spend money making it look like it runs! ( hard to do for me )

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
anyone have the jpc cast intake? or the custom intake? its either those 2 or the C&L and id like to have the option to do a direct port kit just for looks lol. Car is being repainted now so im actually gonna try to spend money making it look like it runs! ( hard to do for me )
I have a JPC , what is there custom intake ?

05yellowgt

Reaction score
Do you know the exact scenario in which the FRPP failed Litebulb? Was it at peak boost during a WOT run? Was it at the end of a WOT run when you quickly let your foot out of it? I was going to test one on my car when I got the extra cash to do so but if the manifold does this at only 21psi, I can't imagine it would like 27psi much better!

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Do you know the exact scenario in which the FRPP failed Litebulb? Was it at peak boost during a WOT run? Was it at the end of a WOT run when you quickly let your foot out of it? I was going to test one on my car when I got the extra cash to do so but if the manifold does this at only 21psi, I can't imagine it would like 27psi much better!

Looking at how the gasket has been blown outward, it looks like it failed while under boost. I have this intake now, and this concerns even me as well. I'm only running 16 psi currently, but will be turning it up soon.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if it is possible that some sort of boost spike caused the failure, though I'm trying to wrap my head around whether or not too small of a bypass or wastegate could cause the failure since boost pressure would build up on the outside of the throttle body not inside the intake. If I knew I could return for refund in the case of a failure like this I'd be more inclined to give this a try.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back