Glass Roof Install!

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
Well I'm really interested in one but a few things are of concern. For some reason the price seems too good to be true. Second, I would hate to buy that and not be able to install it cuz of some expensive part or worse a part I can't buy. Third it doesn't look that hard to install. Would you attempt to install yourself?

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
Well I'm really interested in one but a few things are of concern. For some reason the price seems too good to be true. Second, I would hate to buy that and not be able to install it cuz of some expensive part or worse a part I can't buy. Third it doesn't look that hard to install. Would you attempt to install yourself?

one, the price is about right, soup to nuts its 3k from CDC to get one installed. here you are just buying the panel itself. no labor or anything else. the other part you would need, which currently seems inaccessible, would be the headliner. and i dont think this is a diy project. especially with the way it has to be glued clamped and left to cure

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
Thats why CDC will only sell to selected installers. Your best bet would be to get the headliner custom made. An upholstery shop should be a ble to do that without too much problem. I've also though about trying to round up all the ford part #s and getting the stuff that way. The factory version looks better and has a rolling sunshade should you want it.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
My Girlfriend is looking at getting a 2011 5.0 with a glass roof but without getting a shit ton of options and ordering a 2012, she can't get one. So we found a good deal on a 5.0 that doesnt have a glass roof. We already have called CDC and they said they only order them by the hundred. Does anybody know any companies that sell the glass roof?

So what does that mean exactly? They don't have any and aren't going to order any more? WTF

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
one, the price is about right, soup to nuts its 3k from CDC to get one installed. here you are just buying the panel itself. no labor or anything else. the other part you would need, which currently seems inaccessible, would be the headliner. and i dont think this is a diy project. especially with the way it has to be glued clamped and left to cure

Well on the link it shows weight bags on top of the class to "clamp" the window while it glues. Why would this not be a DIY? Looks simple to me. I believe the reason they recommend a pro is due to liability reasons. I'm sure they don't want someone doing a halfass job and it either leaks or flys off. Also if you screw up on cutting the roof, you pretty much destroy the car. I'm worried about the two pieces that look like they go in the front and back of the glass that ajoin the glass to the body. I'm not sure if its a seal or just cosmetics.

06MUSTANGGT24V

S197 Torch Red Member
Reaction score
So what does that mean exactly? They don't have any and aren't going to order any more? WTF
CDC themselves have to order them by the hundred, and there isnt enough interest to order that many now.

Also on the saleen scenic roof, they are no longer making them so thats a no no. Would hate to spend this much money and not be able to replace it if mother nature has a case of PMS

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
i honestly wouldn't bother having a glass roof doesn't seem safe to me. i would assume it takes away from the roof's structural integrity as well. euro guys are using a plastic based material for the same affect that is extremely durable and impact resistant.

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
The only thing that the glass panel replaces is essentially a body panel on the roof. The "structure" is all around the outside of the roof. This is why ford deemed it reasonable to offer this factory.

byouells

Cut me and I bleed BLUE!
Reaction score
I have it in my 2010 GT and love it. However it is really heavy compared to the thin piece of sheetmetal in the roof. If you are into speed and quickness this will add pounds to the car in a place you do not want it, ON TOP. I would recommend just ordering the car with the option, because if it get broken the factory will have replacements.

tagle281

forum member
Reaction score
i honestly wouldn't bother having a glass roof doesn't seem safe to me. i would assume it takes away from the roof's structural integrity as well. euro guys are using a plastic based material for the same affect that is extremely durable and impact resistant.

Read the article. It takes nothing away from the structure.

GlassVapor

forum member
Reaction score
I have it in my 2010 GT and love it. However it is really heavy compared to the thin piece of sheetmetal in the roof. If you are into speed and quickness this will add pounds to the car in a place you do not want it, ON TOP. I would recommend just ordering the car with the option, because if it get broken the factory will have replacements.

30lbs is really heavy?? Only Ricky road racer would maybe notice that

dabad1

forum member
Reaction score
Hey dats my idea I got two have1 in my roof.I love. It go for it!

Last edited:

nicky chaos

I haz a bucket.
Reaction score
Hey dats my idea I got two have1 in my roof.I love. It go for it!

My bad. Droid phone got me miss spelling. Shit
:evillaugh::lol2:
English_Motherfucker_Do_You_Speak_I.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back