got my DOB R-SPEC!

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Okay forgive me for even asking such a dumb ass question but at this point if it were me I would be open to ANY suggestions... Did you degree those cams in? Have you double checked for TDC on the compression stroke, etc? Just askin' since as you know it is entirely possible to install the cams 180 degrees out and then it wont start.

Yup. Vct locked out. Double checked. Degreed cams almost dead nuts with adjustable gears. Set to recommendation from Michael at l&m motorsports (he designed the custom cams based on the rest of my build)

Absolutely open to ideas and there are no dumb suggestions. Just something dumb that has not been checked yet lol

Bringing oscilloscope out next week to verify phase and sync. That will verify cams (well, Atleast phasers are correct). If they were both 189 out would still get spark just out of time.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Okay, one more thing to check off the list I guess. I'm running a pair of Michael's custom cams too, I think slightly less aggressive than yours. He's been super helpful to me with any issues I've had. Does he have any suggestions for you?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I'd just buy a new wiring harness. Your mechanical skills I doubt are what's causing the no start. It's like your inept electrical skills. LOL. Had to. Sorry.

crownaviation

Reaction score
Okay, one more thing to check off the list I guess. I'm running a pair of Michael's custom cams too, I think slightly less aggressive than yours. He's been super helpful to me with any issues I've had. Does he have any suggestions for you?

Think he would say burn the car to the ground lol. I have a buddy coming over next week with his scope and a few other diagnostic tools. He does this crap for a living and owns his own shop that specializes in goofy crap like this. He originally suspected the pcm but we were unable to test at the time. Now I know it is not the pcm or the bec that is huge. If we don't sort it out by end of next week I will order a new OEM harness.

I'd just buy a new wiring harness. Your mechanical skills I doubt are what's causing the no start. It's like your inept electrical skills. LOL. Had to. Sorry.
touche.. but my burn the fucker to the ground skills are second to none. Good new is this kinda helped cool off my desire for a C6 Z06. I would just end up in the same freggin money pit modding bullshit I always do.

Last edited:

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score

Im with Darrin... Get a new harness and start over... get those rings seated and the motor broke in and tuned...

Then revisit this sucker... You are going to be even more pissed off when you have trouble seating the rings and have to pull the motor...

Better use some good break in oil like Driven BR30

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
touche.. but my burn the fucker to the ground skills are second to none. Good new is this kinda helped cool off my desire for a C6 Z06. I would just end up in the same freggin money pit modding bullshit I always do.

Your car is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too beautiful and modded with exquisitely fine taste in every aspect to even consider quitting or burning it down. You could have a new wiring harness put on in a day................uh...well, a week maybe with all your procrastination. LOL!!!:crazy: Just get it done! That BEAST is begging to be set free on the streets!!!!:thumb2:

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Absolutely open to ideas and there are no dumb suggestions. Just something dumb that has not been checked yet lol

I don't recall remembering how you know for sure or what method you used to absolutely determine you had no spark so I thought I'd throw this out there...try this spark test tool. I've got one and it came in handy when in the past I was trying to diagnose an issue. It's cheap enough to be worth a try. Oreillys has it.

31B4p9DfoJL._SY355_.jpg

crownaviation

Reaction score
I don't recall remembering how you know for sure or what method you used to absolutely determine you had no spark so I thought I'd throw this out there...try this spark test tool. I've got one and it came in handy when in the past I was trying to diagnose an issue. It's cheap enough to be worth a try. Oreillys has it.

31B4p9DfoJL._SY355_.jpg

Very similar to the one I got from mac tools

crownaviation

Reaction score
Well, have not been on this forum much lately. Got the car running tho! Between my nasty work schedule etc I managed to get it running and the motor broke in.

Thing is NASTY! Still running the big blower pulley and small crank pulley (lower boost) until we can get the car dialed in a little better. Going to rent a dyno so Lito can continue working his magic. Almost impossible to street tune this thing with the power it is putting down and trying to pay attention not to hurt anything or anyone (almost put my eye out a few times).

Only did datalogs up to 6k rpm. Made 25 psi boost which is only turning the blower 12480 rpm (16000 is where this blower peaks in efficiency). Have lots left and we are only at 17* of timing right now on e85.

I am going to get a couple pulls on the dyno as we are trying to keep the power down to 1000 at the tires so the tranny will live a little longer. If we are not already close to that then I will start throwing pulleys at it.

I also discovered my Meizere 20gpm pump slows to a trickle when it gets warm. I was trying to figure out why the IAT got to 160. Even then, that is still really good for a big twin screw putting out 25psi not to mention COMPLETELY HEAT SOAKED (not some bullshit hero dyno run with a cold motor). I am ordering a Lingenfelter pump ($600 damn dollars) but that should lick that problem.

Other little irritating thing is my oil psi sending unit (my aftermarket autometer) is freggin leaking. Not bad but enough that i can smell it and see drops of oil on my floor. I have 500 miles on the motor now so she should be nice and broken in. Will fix the sending unit leak and change oil. Probably going with driven (joe gibs) now while I am at it.

Once the weather quits pissing on us I am hopefully going to get back at the magazine thing.. Just hard to juggle work, family and have another schedule to try to meet at the same time.

Will get some video posted and dyno numbers as soon as I can. Freggin lovin it tho! Hard to beat a big Whipple! Predictable, simple and reliable. How many people can say that with a 1000hp street car (real street car that you can actually take a trip in with ac and shit)

Last edited:

crownaviation

Reaction score
New harness?

Yup.

Ended up being ONE damn wire that was accidentally tied into the coil circuit that was only a ground in the start position. Freggin rediculous. It was a wire that went to my old trans and was no longer used. Made it a real mother to find and did not find it till I had the harness out. Figured it was not much more work to just start over with the new OEM harness and have all new connectors and wire etc. Glad that is over and certainly learned my lesson from being in a hurry.

I did not pretty the new harness up yet like I did the old one but will eventually. Just want to put some time on it and enjoy it some.

crownaviation

Reaction score
Glad you found it!

Yeah, had a really good couple weeks. Got time to work on the car a little here and there (once I got the new harness in my hand it was running two days later). Got a nice chunk of a raise at work, wife did not leave my ass after she got the car receipts totaled up for the insurance policy lol.. pretty good life!

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Yeah, had a really good couple weeks. Got time to work on the car a little here and there (once I got the new harness in my hand it was running two days later). Got a nice chunk of a raise at work, wife did not leave my ass after she got the car receipts totaled up for the insurance policy lol.. pretty good life!

Congrats, both on getting it running finally and your wife not leaving you! lol Cant wait to see some video and numbers.. :beerchug2:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
That's awesome! I'm so envious of this setup! Please just get this beast running to your liking before you try your hand and chopping up the harness again. That was too painful for us to watch while the car stood idle, not running. uggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

Anticipate good things from this build!!!!

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Before you order that pump, I have TWO 55 gpm mezeire setups, one of which has Jacens old battery tank location setup.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the pump test shows the 55gpm pumps suck. Lol

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Before you order that pump, I have TWO 55 gpm mezeire setups, one of which has Jacens old battery tank location setup.

Jim is running a 3/4" system. Those pumps won't work for him.

Pretty sure the pump test shows the 55gpm pumps suck. Lol

The Meziere 55gpm pumps work really well at 1.25". Which is what I run and what Dub was going to run. I'm running two 55gpm Meziere's on my car and won't be changing them out.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Ahh so it was the smaller openings that the 55gpm units were lacking correct.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Ahh so it was the smaller openings that the 55gpm units were lacking correct.

Yeah, put a restriction on the 55gpm unit and it is NOT HAPPY. But open it up and good things happen.

At 3/4" the Meziere is moving 7.5gpm

at 1 1/4" the Meziere is moving 18.5gpm

The Lingenfelter on the other hand can deal with restrictions. At 3/4" it will move 13gpm. Jim doesn't want to gut his entire system so he is going with the Lingenfelter.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back